It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iran Fires On US Drone

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 09:08 PM
link   
reply to post by AkumaStreak

And as the rest of the post stated, it flies unarmed a lot. As it was unarmed in this case. Even if it was armed, a Hellfire won't do crap against another plane, so they can't claim it was self defense. They attacked a target in international airspace when they shouldn't have.

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 09:18 PM
link   
reply to post by davcwebb

Are they sure it was fired upon and not just hit by a small meteorite making it to the ground?

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 09:19 PM
link   
reply to post by timmhaines

The little rocks can break windows and dent cars.

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 09:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Zaphod58

Just asking, but couldnt a high speed pass at the drone to near /miss swamp the slower aircraft in the jet wash?maybe tear off a control surface or something?
I figure they could have buzzed the thing in tandem with enough wicked air to spin that drone out or whatever.....do ya think?

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 09:30 PM
link   
Kind of wondering if the Iranians are testing to see if SU-25 can shoot down predator drones and what flight profile may work. Premise being Iran could keep what little higher performance aircraft they have for other missions in a shooting war and use SU-25's over their territory to counter Predators.

The only other reason would be testing our responce and gaining intelligence from that.

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 09:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Phoenix

They don't have enough of them flying for that though. They only had six or seven that they got from Iraq after they fled to Iran. Of those there are two known flying, and it's thought that there may only be one or two besides those. They don't really have any parts for them to keep them in good condition.

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 09:33 PM
link   
reply to post by stirling

It's entirely possible. It would require a pretty close pass, at a pretty high speed. I'm not sure the Frogfoot could do it, but an actual interceptor probably could pretty easily. They would just have to be sure not to get fixated on the Predator and fly into it.

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 09:38 PM
link   
reply to post by okamitengu

The Tu-95MS Bear H that you see being intercepted by the F-22 is new-build. The last Tu-95MS came off the production line in the early 1990s. As already pointed out the youngest B-52H in USAF service rolled off the production line in 1962. The Tu-95MS new-builds were based on the later Tu-142 airframes. It made perfect sense to build new Bears to act as their long-range air launched cruise missile carrier. Just like the B-52Hs these Tu-95s Bear Hs have a long life in front of them just like the B-52Hs. Don't be fooled by the propellers as those on the Tu-95s are turboprobs.

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 09:47 PM
link   
F-ing camel jockies. Will a nuke fit in mahmoods arse?

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 10:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by IAMTAT
FACTS:
1.) The drone was unarmed.
2.) The drone was over International waters/outside of Iranian airspace
3.) The drone was not hit...and returned safely

Is this an 'Act of War'?...It's certainly an Act of Aggression'!
WHAT will Barry-O do?

edit on 8-11-2012 by IAMTAT because: (no reason given)

No its an act of war and Israel is all smiles on this one.

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 10:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by butcherguy

I guess they fly them as interceptors in the Iranian Air Force?

They aren't operated by the Iranian Air Force (IRIAF). The use and action against the Predator might be explained by the fact that the Iranian Su-25s are operated by the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps Air Force (IRGC AF).

Revolutionary Guard single-seater Su-25

www.airliners.net...

Revolutionary Guard two-seater Su-25

www.airliners.net...

The Revolutionary Guard force compared to the regular Iranian forces have a habit of being that bit more hot headed in their encounters with Coalition forces in the Gulf.

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 10:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by tommyjo

Originally posted by butcherguy

I guess they fly them as interceptors in the Iranian Air Force?

They aren't operated by the Iranian Air Force (IRIAF). The use and action against the Predator might be explained by the fact that the Iranian Su-25s are operated by the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps Air Force (IRGC AF).

Revolutionary Guard single-seater Su-25

www.airliners.net...

Revolutionary Guard two-seater Su-25

www.airliners.net...

The Revolutionary Guard force compared to the regular Iranian forces have a habit of being that bit more hot headed in their encounters with Coalition forces in the Gulf.

Thank you for the clarification, I was personally unaware the Revolutionary Guards had fixed wing aircraft operated separately from the IRIAF.

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 10:51 PM
link   
The US are now poking the hornet's nest so as to justify a full scale cluster pump of the Persian fundamentalists.

Nothing particularly unusual or earth-rending here.

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 11:13 PM
link   
Though I have no love for Iran or any of them "religion of peace"countries. I do not blame them for taking a shot at our drone. The thing could have been in international waters (fine) but,..... looking into a sovereign country. They are not as stupid as our government try and make them sound. No panic. They are just telling us they know what we are doing. If Iran really wanted it shot down, it would be. Our "Leader" needs a good war under his belt so us men would give him the time of day.... LOL! You thought you got "change". You got it all right.

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 11:26 PM
link   
why does anyone believe anything about this story?

Did it really happen? I mean, is there a real basis?

Were we really in international airspace?

I mean, this is the kind of story my 14 year old tells me when he is just as guilty, but wants to be the victim instead.

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 11:31 PM
link   
reply to post by murphy22

Iran probably could have shot it down if it wanted too, they are not that stupid though. If they would have actually went though and shot it down in International waters that would be a different story all together and would have led to serious ramifications which could have included a retaliatory strike.

Most likely it was Iran just trying to instigate and harass the Predator, test the reactions, etc., just like what Iran speed boats use to do to the US destroyers. The United States knows this so giving them smoke and mirrors for reaction times, etc. would be the best course of action in a situation like this,

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 12:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Laxpla

Agreed. Kinda what I was thinking. Nothing to get worked up about.

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 12:44 AM
link   
Wow they crying over a drone that was probably spying people #ing,what about the innocent people there drones kill(including kids)what about them??If i got a stinger and patriot missiles ill shoot down your MF drones and stop you killing innocent people in different part of world.those guys siting in AC room opposite a console operating a joystick thinks this is a game ive seen your rule of engagement in iraq killing unarmed civilians and then those assholes laugh in there radio channel what a kill let me shoot give me the #ing permission etc.

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 01:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by bigfatfurrytexan
why does anyone believe anything about this story?

Did it really happen? I mean, is there a real basis?

Were we really in international airspace?

I mean, this is the kind of story my 14 year old tells me when he is just as guilty, but wants to be the victim instead.

I believed it happened. The details though? I leave that to the 14 year olds..............

Pentagon spokesman George Little said the aircraft fired multiple rounds at the Predator drone and followed it for at least several miles as it moved farther away from Iranian airspace. "We believe that they fired at least twice and made at least two passes," he said. International airspace begins after 12 nautical miles and Little said the drone at no point entered Iranian airspace. Last year, a crashed CIA drone was recovered inside Iran.

Defense Secretary Leon Panetta was quickly notified of the incident, as were members of Congress and the White House, Little added. The United States also sent Iran a warning through diplomatic channels, saying it would defend its military assets and would keep sending aircraft on such surveillance operations. "There is absolutely no precedence for this," Little said. "This is the first time that a (drone) has been fired upon to our knowledge by Iranian aircraft."

Many questions about the incident remain, including why Iranian warplanes could not manage - if they wanted - to shoot down an unarmed drone, which lacks advanced capabilities to outmaneuver them. Asked whether the Iranian aircraft were simply firing warning shots, Little said: "Our working assumption is that they fired to take it down. You'll have to ask the Iranians why they engaged in this action."

Iran fired on U.S. drone over Gulf: Pentagon

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 01:50 AM
link   
How dare they defend their country. We would never fire on an Iranian drone if they sent one over here!

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join