It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iran Fires On US Drone

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 06:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by shaneslaughta
Smells funny.......could that be Obama,
soiling his pants at the thought of another drawn out war?

Anyone who doesn't soil his pants (figuratively) at the thought of the US getting into another unnecessary and deadly war, costing us trillions of dollars and thousands of lives, is a certifiable moron. Or worse.

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 06:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by butcherguy
I am not surprised that the Iranians missed.

If my memory serves me well, I think the SU 25 was designed as a ground support aircraft. That would be a mission similar to our A10 Warthog.

The drone flies at a much lower speed than the jet. So effectively it can be considered a stationary target. Therefore, the mechanics were not very different from a ground target. And they still missed.

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 06:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by IAMTAT

Originally posted by NavyNut
I don't think the Obama administration would have anything to gain by holding the information back. Btw Obama is pretty good at handling things like that, anyways to the general public has he took care of OBL(apparently).

The only reason behind this is because there was bigger news at the time, like the election you know, common sense.
edit on 8-11-2012 by NavyNut because: (no reason given)

I appreciate your thoughts, but must disagree.
It really is NOT up to the Obama administration to decide for the American public WHEN they should receive their news...regardless of the size of the story, or what other news is concurrently occupying the airwaves.

It's not about a football game or some sex scandal. The administration has every right to control the release of information that's military in nature.

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 06:54 PM
link   
reply to post by buddhasystem

I'm afraid you're being a bit silly...on this one.
The administration sat on this for a week because of the election...and I think you really know that.

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 06:55 PM
link   
reply to post by spy66

The UNCLOS treaty on international waters states that innocent passage is guaranteed through territorial waters of another nation, subject to certain restrictions.

Passage is innocent so long as it is not prejudicial to the peace, good order or security of the coastal State. Such passage shall take place in conformity with this Convention and with other rules of international law.[1]

en.wikipedia.org...

Iran is a signatory to this treaty. Although again, if the Predator really was in international airspace, then this was an act of aggression. The Predator has every right to fly in international airspace. It's just like the game we played with the Soviet Union with the U-2s, and RC-135s after Powers was shot down. The RC-135 would stay just in international airspace, but make it look like they were going to penetrate Soviet airspace, without ever really coming close. As long as they stayed outside Soviet airspace, they could keep doing this as long as they wanted. The U-2 would stay outside their airspace, and take pictures with a side scan camera that would look a long way into Soviet territory.

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 06:58 PM
link   
reply to post by zilebeliveunknown

So according to that, the Soviet Union had every right to shoot down an unarmed 747 full of innocent people. And the USS Vincensse was right to shoot down an unarmed airliner from Iran (even though that one stinks to high heaven). According to that logic then no airliner anywhere is safe, and you might as well not fly because wherever you're flying to has every right to shoot you down.

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 06:59 PM
link   
So let's see if I got the jist of the thread:

Us evil for flying a drone in international airspace that was un armed,un manned, and has a com package that streams live whatever it sees back to somewhere on the ground all safe and sound.

Iran is inept and missed, but had no problems getting a drone to mysteriously land in Iran.

Then sends a drone to go spy on Isreal that was shot down some weeks ago.

And here we are yet again with Iran is just a "victim".

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 07:06 PM
link   
reply to post by buddhasystem

The drone flies at a much lower speed than the jet. So effectively it can be considered a stationary target. Therefore, the mechanics were not very different from a ground target. And they still missed.
Ground support a/c attack other than stationary targets, but they are designed for attacking targets that are on the ground. Most air forces would use a ground attack aircraft to destroy aircraft that are sitting on the ground. They would use a fighter or interceptor to interceptor to intercept and or destroy another a/c that is in the air.
I have heard a lot about the vaunted Iranian war machine, and I was a little surprised that they use ground attack aircraft to intercept other aircraft.

Maybe there is a reason that most countries would use something else.
edit on 8-11-2012 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 07:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Drunkenparrot

That is exactly what I was thinking. Maybe the Su-25's are the ones that spotted the drone and were ordered to get a closer look. Maybe Iran felt that they could stand to lose Su-25's versus their other fighters in case something decided to shoot back.

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 07:24 PM
link   
The fact that the Su-25 lacks a tracking radar combined with the fact that the Pred is so small probably means that they didn't spot it. What probably happened was GCI picked it up and those Su's were the closest so they were sent over.

A lot of this really doesn't make sense though. We fly aircraft there all the time, so why now? And if you were going to intercept an aircraft, could you really not launch fast-movers from elsewhere? And finally, what would prompt you to try and take shots at it if 1) you see it is unarmed and 2) you don't have a tracking radar for your gun?

Very weird.

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 07:27 PM
link   
reply to post by JackBauer

I hear that! Wouldn't that be great? A switch that could be flipped and everyone would just 'get it'... Maybe we can talk Romney into asking his friend at Staples to tell us who made the 'Easy' button for them! haha.

It is sad and I had been holding out hope for a turn-around soon, but it looks hopeless in that regard. I used to tell a friend, who recently passed away, that things can go no where but up from here - that was 3 years ago and I was wrong, but he wasn't. He would always say that things will get even worse and we will probably never see USA at heights enjoyed pre-2000.

I love technology, but it is a major source for our woes. Everyone, everywhere has their face buried into a tech device during the majority of waking hours. A lot of families make sure everyone has the tech devices they want and those devices become obsolete as soon as you can figure out how to use them.

After a few months, or less in some cases, the devices are old news and a new version is available. Of course, everyone has to have the latest and greatest tech toy, so hundreds to thousands of dollars are spent every 4-6 months to stay on the cutting edge of social and personal media devices.

The old tech gets trashed for the most part and most is not recycled. So we are sending all our money to these tech companies and not recouping any of it when we upgrade to new gadgets. The tech companies are amassing incredible wealth, while the average consumer is becoming less and less financially stable...

Anyway, sorry for bouncing off-topic here. I really just meant to say that people are like zombies, programmed with corporate and federal government propaganda from the devices that rule their world. Those who used to be aware have fallen asleep, but are the ones who are most likely to snap out of it and see what's been happening around them during their tech slumber.

The kids may never become awake and aware, since they do not know any different way of life, there are not enough people awake to bring them to their senses, and their parents are, in-large, just as absorbed as they are..

If knowing the Obama administration hid crucial information, just long enough to complete his campaign and election process, doesn't punch people in the nose with smelling salts, nothing will.

Surely even the most die-hard supporters can see what he and his administration just did to all of us. This should make every single USA citizen sick to their stomach and should make us all feel like we have been victimized by a con-artist.

Imagine I came to your house to estimate installation of hardwood floors and asnwer your questions. You tell me you want the floors installed in 10 days (election day), then you ask me if my hardwood has any issues (anything other than Benghazi we should know about?) and I say, 'No' (Benghazi was isolated and the same mistakes won't be made again and a promise of transparency) .

A couple days pass and I notice a nasty strain of mold has infected my hardwood stock (the drone strike occurs), but, instead of telling you, I just stay quiet. I install the floors and collect payment (re-elected POTUS). A couple days later you learn that I knew about a terrible mold problem in my shop and in the hardwood that is now nailed to your floors (the drone strike is revealed).

To make matters worse, your family has awesomely terrible allergies (benghazi) and this mold (drone strike) could literally kill you or your families (it could sway your vote).

Would you be upset at me for treating you this way? After-all, it is your money that keeps my business open (your taxes)

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 07:31 PM
link   
Wonder what would happen if Iran had a drone which was flying in International waters in the Gulf of Mexico?

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 07:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by grantbeed
Wonder what would happen if Iran had a drone which was flying in International waters in the Gulf of Mexico?

It would be an Iranian drone flying in the Gulf of Mexico.

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 07:57 PM
link   

ya interesting question..when i get to see the flightpath of the drone i,ll believe this was all perfectly innocent..just a poor drone minding its business..i guess if they really intended to shoot it down they would of ?

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 08:05 PM
link   

First, Iran has to develop the technological and logistical capability to produce and operate said drone, however in the interest of conversation say that Iran had the ability.

The same thing that happens to the thousands of Soviet, now Russian Federation TU-95 reconnaissance flights that have been probing CONUS airspace for 60 years.

Nothing except a picture opportunity for bored flight crews...

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 08:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Drunkenparrot

First, Iran has to develop the technological and logistical capability to produce and operate said drone, however in the interest of conversation say that Iran had the ability.

The same thing that happens to the thousands of Soviet, now Russian Federation TU-95 reconnaissance flights that have been probing CONUS airspace for 60 years.

Nothing except a picture opportunity for bored flight crews...

i love it, from early jets to the f22... yet the russians still have that same poor plane (and i am betting its the EXACT SAME plane...) poor broke russia...

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 08:51 PM
link   
reply to post by okamitengu

The Tu-95 is actually on par with the B-52, which is still flying with the US Air Force. The B-52H was last built in the early 1960s. The youngest B-52H left the factory on October 26th 1962, and turned 60 this year. The current plan is for the last BUFF to be retired after 2040, sometime around 2045 making the design 90 years old at retirement.

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 08:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Drunkenparrot

Don't forget exchanging looks at Playboy.
That was known to happen a number of times.

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 09:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zaphod58
reply to post by wishful1gnorance

I think the Predator only carries four Hellfires, where the Reaper carries a lot more.

OH, well in that case...

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 09:01 PM
link   
it doesn't tell the whole story, it was in international air space when it was shot at.

and i bet it was downed, but the pentagon won't give an inch to iran.

they probably tracked it over iranian airspace and by the time their jets were scrambled they bugged it out of iranian airspace.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join