It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iran Fires On US Drone

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 01:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zaphod58
reply to post by Lonewulph

It depends on what they shot at it with that determines whether this was a fail or not. Gun shots aren't anything like in the movies. They are extremely hard to pull off, and there's a chance of having target fixation and flying into the target you are supposed to be shooting at. The gun has an extremely limited range, and a narrow window to hit with. Unless you have an advanced HUD that does your lead computing, for you, you're going to miss 8 times out of 10.

Add to that the fact that a Predator is a relatively small target, compared to any fighter or bomber that most pilots train to shoot down, and you have a miss.

Actually, these SU25's used to have a nato title as the old 'Frogfoot' if my memory serves me correctly, cockpit hud is capable of 'guns mode' which used the 'pipper' recticle to compute elevation and lead for the gun projectile path.

Approaching the target from offset angle makes for a larger target..easier to hit and these drones they are much larger than the rocket shaped bats we used to shoot at. Trained pilot could easily shoot it down if they wanted, I think it was just a warning or harassment either way.
edit on 8-11-2012 by Lonewulph because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 01:49 PM
link   
Wonder what our military would do if Iran flew a drone over our country? Wonder what the UK would do?

Not hard to guess, is it.

ETA: I just heard the drone was over International Waters. uh oh.
edit on 11/8/2012 by BellaSabre because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 01:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zaphod58
reply to post by Beavers

Except that our instrument of war was in international airspace where it had every right to be. What if it had been an RC-135, or a C-17? Or even worse, an A320, or 737? They had every right to fly a Predator in international airspace, wherever they wanted to, without it being shot at.

If everything is legal in international watter. It can't be illegal to shoot at US drone operating there. Because US laws don't apply there either.
edit on 27.06.08 by spy66 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 01:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by spy66

If everything is legal in international watter. It can't be illegal to shoot at US drone operating there. Because US laws don't apply there either.
edit on 27.06.08 by spy66 because: (no reason given)

that's where maritime laws come into effect i believe.

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 01:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Zaphod58

They had every right to fly a Predator in international airspace

Do you know it was in International airspace or are you just being gullible and believing what you are told?

I think the Predator only carries four Hellfires

I see, now I understand what unarmed means!

edit on 8/11/2012 by PuterMan because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 01:55 PM
link   
Oh good...Obama is getting tough.
The administration just sent a letter of protest to Iran.

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 01:56 PM
link   
be interesting in hearing the Iranian version of events,to gain a complete picture of what exactly went on

pretty dumb on Iran's part (if true) considering Israel/USA are looking for an excuse to murder and pillage

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 01:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by sonnny1
Well Well.
Itchy trigger fingers.

Iran doesn't want war, but isn't this an act of aggression?

Yes it is an act of aggression, from America.

Its o.k to kick and poke but when they bite its their fault?

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 01:57 PM
link   
I take everything with a grain of salt, maybe the intention of the flights are to provoke Iran into actions.

Keep poking the hive and you will get stung.

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 01:59 PM
link   

so it's unarmed..... but it still has weapons?

please, define: unarmed

because I thought it meant something like, "did not currently possess weapons of any fashion." The amount of weapons is irrelevant, if it has even one, it was armed.

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 02:01 PM
link   
reply to post by wishful1gnorance

The aircraft flying this particular mission had no weapons onboard. That doesn't mean that it CAN'T carry weapons, just that at the time it was shot at, it was unarmed.

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 02:01 PM
link   
reply to post by wishful1gnorance

I believe that they can be armed...but, in this case, it had not been armed.

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 02:04 PM
link   
reply to post by PuterMan

Unarmed doesn't mean "incapable of carrying weapons". An F-15 flies unarmed all the time over the US. So does a B-52, a B-2, a B-1, etc. That doesn't mean they CAN'T carry weapons, just that on that particular flight, they weren't carrying weapons.

As for its location, so far I'm saying international airspace, until I dig into a few other sources that haven't as yet said much about this besides what the media is saying.

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 02:13 PM
link   
reply to post by sitchin

be interesting in hearing the Iranian version of events

I can't find anything on any of the Iranian sites, which would be unusual if the incident did actually happen.

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 02:14 PM
link   
reply to post by shaneslaughta

Did someone say total annihilation of iran?

That's the only outcome there because no one will have their back if they use nukes.

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 02:15 PM
link   
reply to post by spy66

It is legal by treaty to fly in international airspace, without fear of being shot down, or attacked. That treaty has been in effect for a very long time now. It's not US law, it's a UN treaty signed by just about every country.

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 02:16 PM
link   

Unarmed doesn't mean "incapable of carrying weapons". An F-15 flies unarmed all the time over the US. So does a B-52, a B-2, a B-1, etc. That doesn't mean they CAN'T carry weapons, just that on that particular flight, they weren't carrying weapons.

Two points here. First do you know this to be a fact and seconds would the Iranian pilots, if the event occurred, have known the drone was 'unarmed'?

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 02:17 PM
link   
reply to post by grey580

If they use nukes.......the world powers will for sure glass all of Iran and leave it a nuclear wasteland for the next few thousand years.

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 02:18 PM
link   
reply to post by PuterMan

So far no I don't know for certain. My usual sources haven't had much to say on this yet. I'm going by information given here, but as I said, *if* it was in international airspace, armed or unarmed doesn't matter.

As for them knowing, they would only know if they flew past it, and got a good look at it. The Hellfires that it carries would be obvious, since they hang below the wings. If they just flew at it, and opened fire, then no, they wouldn't know until they passed it at least once, or closed in on it.

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 02:19 PM
link   
What do you guys use for Iranian news?

I use Iran daily - not seeing anything on there.

Nor am I seeing anything on Israel today (which usually would be drooling all over something like this).

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join