It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Vote for Johnson equals a Vote for Obama

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 12:04 PM
link   
No it doesn't. This is a lie that the Republicans came up with in 1992 because they can't look to their own problems for not being elected. A vote for a 3rd party, in this case Gary Johnson, has absolutely no baring on either the Democrat or Republican party. A vote for the Libertarian, Green, or any other 3rd party is exactly that. By saying that we supported Obama with our vote, you are marginalizing our choice to break away from the duopoly stranglehold the two corrupt political parties have on our system. You are buying into their talking points to keep you from realizing you have more legitimate choices then the "lesser of two evils."

First off, Gary Johnson only got 1,000,000 votes. Romney received 57,886,458 votes and Obama received 60,784,022 votes which is a difference of 2,897,564 votes. source So even if all the voters for Johnson voted for Romney, he still wouldn't have won. Plus Obama whooped Romney in the electoral college with 303 votes to 206.

But disregarding the hard numbers I find it very presumptuous and insulting to say that we supported Obama with our vote. What makes you think that we would have voted for Romney if Johnson wasn't on the ballot? Personally, I wouldn't have even voted if he wasn't on the ballot. What you really should be saying is that a vote for third party is stealing a vote from both Obama AND Romney. If I supported Obama, I would have voted for him. If I supported Romney, I would have voted for him. I DO support Gary Johnson, so guess who I voted for?

You people who believe the thread title, especially the Republicans, need to wake up. And to the Republicans stop blaming your loses in the election on the third party. Look internally at your own mistakes on why you lost. You won't have to look hard there are already several threads on ATS that layout exactly what you did wrong.
edit on 8-11-2012 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 12:21 PM
link   
I had this exact conversation with a co-worker yesterday who accused me of 'throwing away' my vote when I voted for Gary Johnson.

Perhaps the GOP should produce a candidate that supports true conservatism, and who would actually shrink the federal government, foreign aid, and 'defense' spending. If they had, I'm almost certain we'd have a Republican in the White House.

So OP, I agree with you. When Republicans look to place the blame they should first look to their own party for selling them out.

The only time you 'throw away' your vote is if you abstain, or if you vote for a candidate that you don't agree with for any reason.

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 12:24 PM
link   
reply to post by TinkerHaus

Exactly, I've had conversations with my Uncle, people at my college and now I'm even seeing this sentiment posted on ATS. I'm getting really insulted that people actually believe this lie. I especially thought that ATS members were above believing crap like this, but I guess not. I tried to word the thread title to get these people to read the thread too.

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 01:33 PM
link   
The Libertarians got 1% of the vote.
Until they get it together, it will still be wasted.
By the way, Obama won by2%. Liberatarians don't matter...yet.

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 01:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Krazysh0t

Exactly, it's no different than believing a vote for Nader was a vote for Reagan or Bush.

People wonder why viable third party candidates can't get anywhere, when they then offer nuggets of wisdom like "You're wasting your vote voting for Johnson (or Nader, etc.)" This country will be forever locked into a two-party system until this fallacy is put to rest.

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 02:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Blackmarketeer

Yea talk about hypocrisy. Talk down about 3rd parties then at the same time wonder why 3rd parties can't get any leeway.

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 06:19 PM
link   
Not to mention if the people only knew that only 538 votes decide who the POTUS will be, they may not have WAISTED their vote on Obama and Romney, but instead voted for a 3rd party platform so that it could obtain the required 5% of the popular vote and thus be allowed into the next General Election...

too bad yet again America.... maybe someday they'll get it
edit on 8-11-2012 by FORMe2p00p0n because: (no reason given)

top topics

join