A Loving God who throws folks in hell because they didn't want to be controlled by him?

page: 13
<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 12:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by subjectzero
reply to post by windword

I don't think that's funny. My brother had to declare bankruptcy twice because his ex-wife raped him so badly.

He was punished for having four children.

In that case, your brother knows the suffering we impose on each other, creating individual hells, everyday.

I don't abide by the biblical understanding of god. I believe god to be like an ocean of spiritual awareness, and we are each individual water droplets of the whole.

What we do to and for each other is only a refection of the whole. We create hells and heavens, using our super powerful free will.

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 12:14 PM
link   

Regarding the subject of the thread, why did God make us so willful then expect us to humble ourselves to avoid hell.

Like I wrote earlier in this thread, either he's a sadist, or he created everything then left the devil in charge.
edit on 11/9/2012 by subjectzero because: (no reason given)

'He' didn't create anything. We did.

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 12:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Scouser640

We made the universe?

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 12:20 PM
link   
reply to post by subjectzero

Yes.

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 12:21 PM
link   

Funny, I don't remember that part.

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 12:25 PM
link   
reply to post by arpgme

When I saw this thread, I joined ATS just to post a response.
"How can a loving God throw people in hell just because they don't want to be controlled by Him?"
There are a lot of ways to answer this and I will give just a few. First, as a follower of Jesus Christ and a devoted student of the Bible, which I am convinced is God's Word, I will state simply what I understand the Bible teaches.
Ugh!! Where do I start??
The quick answer: God doesn't send people to hell, they CHOOSE to go there and it grieves God when they do so.

The long answer:
God is the creator and owner of everything, so He has the right to set the rules. Fortunately for us, God is a loving God and has invited us to spend eternity with Him in heaven. For the immediate time (this earth) He gave us rules (His Law) FIRST because He loves us. In the same way that a parent gives rules to their children for their own benefit and protection, God gave us His Law. God doesn't want to spoil our fun, He wants us to have fun, but He also wants us to live a safe and healthy life, the same desire that a parent has for their children. SECONDLY, God gave us His Law so that we will know what He expects of us. However, what we tend to do is think that we know better than God, so we ignore God's Law and make up our own rules. God expresses His love for us by providing us with good guidelines, but we snub Him and go the other way. This is what the Bible calls sin. We offend God and refuse to return His love. We become prideful, thinking that we know better than the Creator of the Universe. Sin disqualifies us for heaven. Heaven is a perfect place and if God were to allow sin into heaven, then heaven wouldn't be heaven any more. It would be just like this messed up earth.

God has also told us that because of His justice, He would punish sin. It's His right to do so, after all, He created everything and He gets to make the rules. The punishment for sin is hell. But God doesn't want anybody to go there, so that's why He came in the form of Jesus to pay the price for sin. So in Jesus, God preserves His perfect justice while also offering us a pardon.

So God gives us every reason to turn to Him: punishment if we refuse His pardon (through Christ), versus eternal blessings if we accept it. It's a no-brainer, yet people will pick and whine because it's too exclusive, too this, or too that. Ultimately, people view their self-destructive behaviors (sin) as the fullness of life and refuse to turn away from them and accept the pardon. In so doing, they are choosing the only alternative to heaven, which is hell.

God doesn't send people to hell. They CHOOSE to go there.

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 12:40 PM
link   
reply to post by DanInMA

That makes no sense. Jesus is the same as the default setting.

Make earth heaven and skip all the crap in between. It's a stupid system.

God is a sadist.

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 12:41 PM
link   
God actually said that we didn't have to dedicate our lives to him like mindless slaves to get to heaven. Only to accept that Jesus died for our sins. Just acknowledge that. Don't have to worship like a zombie or anything.

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 12:46 PM
link   

Our Knowledge is our super power.

Medicine
Biotechnology
Architecture
Space Advancement
Artificial Intelligence
etc...

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 12:48 PM
link   
reply to post by luciddream

That's why a select group has this knowledge, right?

What's wrong with this picture?

You've stumbled on something very interesting.

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 12:51 PM
link   

What do you mean by select few? could you elaborate?

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 12:55 PM
link   

We're looking at the cosmic hierarchy, my friend. You have your rocket scientists and nuclear physicists and you have your garbage collectors and janitors.

We know where the real gods are now. They inhabit the intelligentsia and the bankers.

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 01:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by luciddream

Our Knowledge is our super power.

Medicine
Biotechnology
Architecture
Space Advancement
Artificial Intelligence
etc...

Yes, but where does that knowledge come from? Everything begins with a thought, possibly the most powerful force in the universe. From those thoughts flows the creative process. We create everything, always have, always will. Now, if we could just figure out how to interject some wisdom into all this knowledge.
edit on 9-11-2012 by Scouser640 because: typo

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 01:10 PM
link   

Think of it as the universal "cloud".

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 01:13 PM
link   

We're looking at the cosmic hierarchy, my friend. You have your rocket scientists and nuclear physicists and you have your garbage collectors and janitors.

We know where the real gods are now. They inhabit the intelligentsia and the bankers.

In the end, was the life of a rocket scientist more fulfilled than the life of a garbage collector? Can a garbage collector experience an "AHA" moment of genius? Can a Wall Street millionaire experience moments of despair and loneliness?

Money and knowledge may or may not guarantee a comfortable life, but what guarantees happiness and peace in life? Nothing! One either creates it, regardless of what's available, or one doesn't. IMO, therein lies the mystery of GOD.

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 01:15 PM
link   

I'm no longer looking at the mystery. I'm past that and examining the motivation.

What is God up to and why?

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 01:18 PM
link   

Think of it as the universal "cloud".

I think of it as God - All that Is. That's where all knowledge resides, we just have to tap into it.

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 01:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by windword

In the end, was the life of a rocket scientist more fulfilled than the life of a garbage collector? Can a garbage collector experience an "AHA" moment of genius? Can a Wall Street millionaire experience moments of despair and loneliness?

Money and knowledge may or may not guarantee a comfortable life, but what guarantees happiness and peace in life? Nothing! One either creates it, regardless of what's available, or one doesn't. IMO, therein lies the mystery of GOD.

Exactly. Just because someone is a Rocket scientist does not mean he is "smart", he maybe to society but everyone will judge themselves. I used to study Computer engineering to make my parents happy, but i was miserable, but now i do what i wanted to. a bit Less pay but i like what i do.

My granddad used to say"a poor man goes to sleep knowing he did everything he can to protect his family, a rich man will go to sleep worrying about how to protect his money from his family"

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 01:21 PM
link   

I'm no longer looking at the mystery. I'm past that and examining the motivation.

What is God up to and why?

There is no motivation. God's not 'up to' anything' God just is, we create our own experiences. The question should really be "What are we up to and why?" We really need to stop passing the buck and look into our reflection, because ultimately that's all there is to see.

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 01:26 PM
link   

That's your interpretation of the experience. It isn't mine.

So, if we are both God, where is the common ground?

top topics

<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join