Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

A Loving God who throws folks in hell because they didn't want to be controlled by him?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
+1 more 
posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 11:23 AM
link   
How can you love someone if you can't even accept them for who they are, but instead want to change them? If that is the case you do not love THEM, you love who you WANT them to be.

If this is the case, how could a God claim to be love itself? That would be a lie, since the only love is when people are fulfilling HIS desire to be as HE wants them to be.

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 11:31 AM
link   
reply to post by arpgme

when people are fulfilling HIS desire to be as HE wants them to be.

i would not put a gender with god.

A Loving God who throws folks in hell because they didn't want to be controlled by him?

my guess is, order out of chaos.

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 11:32 AM
link   
You're not going to change 2000 years of dogma with a couple lines of text.

Religion doesn't make any sense. There's no use arguing with it. Just let religious people believe what they want. If they say their god is jealous, then just let them have a jealous god.

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 11:32 AM
link   
reply to post by arpgme

And it took you this long to notice? A god that condemns someone not because he was a bad person, but because he didn't believe in him is not a good one.
Christ, and people wonder why I'm agnostic.

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 11:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by arpgme
How can you love someone if you can't even accept them for who they are, but instead want to change them? If that is the case you do not love THEM, you love who you WANT them to be.

If this is the case, how could a God claim to be love itself? That would be a lie, since the only love is when people are fulfilling HIS desire to be as HE wants them to be.

When I've asked this question to pastors or others "in the know" with the Christian god, I get several different definitions of the word "love" and how different translations mean different things. Some of those translations were nothing even close to what I would consider to be "love".

So they don't really mean love. Since we don't have separate words for "domineering love", "abusive relationship love", "violent tough love", "controlling conditional love", or "psycho-stalker love", the English bible just says "love".

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 11:33 AM
link   
reply to post by arpgme

Do you really don't understand, or are you saying that there can't be a loving God because a loving God wouldn't do this?

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 11:34 AM
link   
reply to post by icepack

The gender is not important. I am questioning how could a God who claims to be love itself, can actually be if the people aren't even loved for being who they are but as who it is DESIRED for them to be by this god...

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 11:38 AM
link   
reply to post by arpgme

He gives you a way out through Jesus, take it or stop whinning about it.

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 11:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by charles1952
reply to post by arpgme

Do you really don't understand, or are you saying that there can't be a loving God because a loving God wouldn't do this?

Same old song and dance:

"God cannot be good, because he punishes the evil people, and a loving God would not punish people when they do wrong, but rather let them get away with being immoral".

Therefore God does not exist, because he has a sense of justice they do not like to hear about.

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 11:43 AM
link   
Like many beliefs that trip up people Hell comes from Roman catholic doctrines that protestants still teach.

Hell is three distinct and different places in the bible which get translated into one word, which is misleading.

Sheol is the traditional Jewish "Hell" which is split in two, one where the righteous get rest, and the unrighteous wait for judgement .

the Abbusso is where the worse angels wait for the end times.

And the traditional hell, which is the lake of fire or Tartaras, which wont be seen until the final judgement.

Its funny that doctrines have combined these places to create "hell", and that it is a huge stumbling block for people believing in a a "loving" god.

There is a strong doctrinal argument to be made that what the "Unrighteous" face at judgement is simply destruction of self, poof you don't exist anymore. Which is what some denominations of Christianity believe.

Jesus himself said "do not fear he that can destroy the body, but he who can give you the second death" Which would be destruction of your soul, not eternal torment like the catholic and many christian denominations teach.

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 11:44 AM
link   
reply to post by ZeroReady

You said exactly what I was feeling. thanks. People need to get over it believe or don't and keep it to yourself.

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 11:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by lonewolf19792000

Originally posted by charles1952
reply to post by arpgme

Same old song and dance:

"God cannot be good, because he punishes the evil people, and a loving God would not punish people when they do wrong, but rather let them get away with being immoral".

Therefore God does not exist, because he has a sense of justice they do not like to hear about.

The issue isn't his sense of "justice". It's getting punished for simply not following him. That has nothing to do with morals or right and wrong.

It's like saying that you are being immoral and evil if you don't send me birthday money and a card.

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 11:46 AM
link   
Here's the deal. God created all that exists. In that creation, he only created two ultimate places for humans to go after their death. Eternal life, or Eternal damnation and separation from God.

So... you either live and do as God tells you, or you suffer the consequences. He created it, he owns it, and he runs it. Comply or die.

That's the Christian view in a nutshell, with all the niceties left out that make it more palatable.

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 11:50 AM
link   
reply to post by arpgme

I completely understand where you are coming from here.

God's love is conditional, which has always bothered me.

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 11:50 AM
link   
reply to post by benrl

That's not fair. As usual, you are using the bible as intended and not putting a spin on it like mainstream Christianity does. If the church taught the true biblical message about hell and salvation, nobody would be scared enough to tithe.

Thanks for adding some clarity and for peeling away some dogma.

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 11:52 AM
link   
reply to post by arpgme

think of heaven or hell as being experiences for a human on earth.....

are there natural laws on earth for a human?

ones where if a human were to break often, their life may become miserable? physically,mentally, and spiritually weak?

are these things that damage the human physically, mentally, and spiritually known as sins?

is it said that if a human sins they will bring themselves to hell?

i get it..
edit on 8-11-2012 by ImaFungi because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 11:53 AM
link   
reply to post by arpgme

free-will. God doesn't force anyone to do anything

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 11:59 AM
link   
God is supposed to represent goodness and love, yet he is frightening and inflicts pain and death if he is not obeyed.

Is that not a paradox? Is that not what one would associate with evil?

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 12:00 PM
link   
God doesn't throw you anywhere.

Hell was created for the demons, and is the only place in the non-material world where God is not present.

So, after a lifetime of not needing God, not loving God, not wanting to be in God's presence, you are granted exactly what you've insisted upon -- existence without God.

Where's the injustice in that?
edit on 8-11-2012 by adjensen because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 12:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cuervo
reply to post by benrl

That's not fair. As usual, you are using the bible as intended and not putting a spin on it like mainstream Christianity does. If the church taught the true biblical message about hell and salvation, nobody would be scared enough to tithe.

Thanks for adding some clarity and for peeling away some dogma.

For many Christians simply reading the bible would clear these up.

Its funny anytime the bible mentions the "lost souls" it refers to words like Perish and Destruction, not stored away forever and ever in torment.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join