It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Super-Earth' exoplanet spotted 42 light-years away

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 09:26 PM
link   
reply to post by wutz4tom

Thx for the info..i'm outta here

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 10:11 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

I would suppose that a large body approaching Earth would make a VERY large display of pyrotechnics. Sure, you have all the heat and friction, and all that mundane stuff. But there is the never really considered issue of our magnetosphere, and all the electrons that are moving through and around within it.

When the "Tether Incident" happened, the CT world was abuzz about the UFO's in the video. But the scientists were abuzz over how much electricity was flowing through that tether. It was glowing bright neon!. And it broke free not from force, but from being melted loose by plasma arcing.

There is a massive electrical sheath surrounding our Earth. Making it more so, electrical charge is only part of the equation. Potential is where its at. And when you come outside our magnetosphere, if you are a large enough body, one would expect to see a fairly aggressive reaction as the energies balance.

I believe this is what you are seeing in the comet impact. It is violent because of charge potential, and the enetering within a more ion rich environment than space was.

Add to this my believe that comets represent massive outgassing of plasma, caused by rabid electrical arcing in the coma. That is what the tail is: a plasma discharge as the comet moves through the electrical medium of near solar space.

ETA: a comet, in this line of thought, would react far more violently than a meteor. comets come from the cold dark reaches of space, where there is relatively little ion flow from the solar wind. meteors spend eons in the inner solar system, and have a more static charge relative to earth.
edit on 8-11-2012 by bigfatfurrytexan because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 10:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by phroziac
Theyre warming us up for disclosure

If theres human life on that planet theyre probably all midgets.
if you weigh 300lb here youd weigh 2100lb there. soooo the human inhabitants there probably weigh around 50 earth pounds
edit on 8-11-2012 by phroziac because: (no reason given)

You calculated this how?

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 12:57 AM
link   
Ever make you wonder how they can spot a "Super Earth "45 light years away but no one knows whats in the alpha centauri system 1 LY away? HMMMM. The system has three suns for gods sake there has to be something there!

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 01:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by ceranko
Ever make you wonder how they can spot a "Super Earth "45 light years away but no one knows whats in the alpha centauri system 1 LY away? HMMMM. The system has three suns for gods sake there has to be something there!

The Wiki thingie already has the info: en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 01:35 AM
link   
Once we develop faster than light travel..or warp drive.. the galaxy if F'd. F'd big time.

If there are aliens out there that have visited the Earth and left it alone - only means one thing - that habitable planets are very very common and we are not unique. Once we and our Corporations venture out - we won't have the same compassion as said alien visitor. Greed will win outright within the human race...again.

edit on 9-11-2012 by ChuckNasty because: added again at the end for effect.

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 01:58 AM
link   
Nibiru!

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 03:49 AM
link   
reply to post by ceranko

It may well seem quite strange, but I dont think its beyond the realms of possiblity that there might be no planets worth looking at in the system, at least from the perspective of the sort of survey that is being carried out here.

Think about it. A trinary star system must have some severe and complicated gravitic behavior. It is not outside of the realm of logic to suggest therefore, that if there IS a solid body in the system, that it would be constantly wrenched by ever changing gravitational force, perhaps being as volatile at surface level as the Jovian moon Io, which as we know well nigh turns itself inside out periodically, as its orbit takes it through the severe trauma of Jupiters gravity well.

Such an environment might contain the elements required for microbial life, but certainly not the stability to support complex life.

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 04:19 AM
link   
Wait, Doesn't a planet have to be dense to have a massive gravity. I understand mass helps but isn't density an important thing. We don't even know what the planet is made of so we can't say what the gravity is right? Forgive me if I am speaking utter nonsense, I am not all that versed in planetary science.

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 04:58 AM
link   
reply to post by IntoxicatingMadness

You are essentially correct, but an earth like planet that is seven times the size of the ball of rock on which we sit MUST by definition be quite dense. Perhaps not as dense as a similar sized ball of solid lead, or the heart of a neutron star, but dense none the less.

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 12:03 PM
link   
reply to post by all2human

Thnx for stopping by friend

tom

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 12:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Uberdavo

I am capable of communicating with them. And the reason that life formed on that planet before they could inhabit it, is because they had to wait for the planet's surface to cool down. It was still in the same magma stage that our planet was in when these newly formed creatures formed. What's really cool is that these creatures are capable of surviving in extremely high temperatures. No one's ever thought up a name for the poor little things. D:

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 12:57 PM
link   
reply to post by AlchemicalParadox

I can totally see where you are coming from
www.youtube.com...

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 02:20 PM
link   
The newly discovered planet apparently has about 7 or 8 times the mass of Earth. If it is a solid body, like Earth, only larger, its diameter will likely be about twice that of our planet. Due to the way gravity diminishes over distance, as the inverse square of an increase in distance, such a planet would have a surface gravity about 1 & 3/4 to 2 times that of Earth. This would probably mean stouter, more sturdily built life forms, as a rule, in comparison to those on Earth. We know from experience that a greater weight requires a greater volume of matter to support it. A too lightly built structure can collapse under the pull of gravity.

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 04:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Uberdavo

I am not able to watch that video. Explain, please, friend.

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 08:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Xaphan

LOL I can't believe that got a star. I was just seeing if I could turn the thread into a sh**storm.

posted on Nov, 10 2012 @ 02:16 PM
link   
What I wanted to say is this.

We all put things into perspective always..

example: In a country people fight eachother for their teams. Arsenal, Manchester Untd. etc etc... when the Euro or mundial comes they seem to magically put it aside and be one...

we all work under the this banner of unity against something else whether we like it or not. and if there isn't anything to battle against we create one.

I honestly believe since most of our SERIOUS problems are created out of stupid ways we seem to manage our world and this planet, should we have the chance to be in contact with another species suddenly the, black person, or the white person wont seem so "alien" to our eyes... we will be united against something else... even if we are peaceful towards them, there will always be this notion of proving maybe whose civilization is better. or generaly any possible way to create this "us vs them"

the sideffect of that would be solving most of the current problems. like the financial one which is totally fake and created by some few to control the many.

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 08:29 AM
link   
reply to post by phroziac

I do tend to agree with you on this, but the problem is there has been someone saying it's Disclosure for how long now.....

You know what tickles me about it?? ]I don't even think it is TPTB's choice

Thank you for your input

tom
edit on 11-11-2012 by wutz4tom because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 11:05 AM
link   
it is what it is

Originally posted by jonnywhite

No.

YOU are warming yourself up to the reality of the existence of life elsewhere.

This is not their doing. This is just science as usual.

How much do we REALLY know about the rest of the universe? Have you ever set foot on another planet? Probably not. If you haven't then you really don't know much. We're still ignorant.

Get this... Ok. There're 200+ sextillion stars in the observable universe and most of them have planets and moons and asteroids. And there're billions of rogue planets in our galaxy ALONE.

And we've only landed astronauts on ONE extra-terrestrial body: the moon.

1 / (200+ sextillion stars + (billion(s) rogue planets * # of galaxies) + (4-6 planets * # of stars in universe) + (# of asteroids) + (# of moons)). (139 moons in our solar system ALONE)

ONE. We're still massively ignorant. Nobody needs to spoon feed us - knowledge is everywhere. We could be deaf and blind and dumb and still stumble/find mountains of truth.
edit on 8-11-2012 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)
To think that the issue of extraterrestrial life is not being held very close, and has likely been the single biggest secret of our lifetime is proposterous...sorry..it is what it is and if this upsets what you consider to represent the world we live

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 12:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hijinx

If theres human life on that planet theyre probably all midgets.
if you weigh 300lb here youd weigh 2100lb there. soooo the human inhabitants there probably weigh around 50 earth pounds
edit on 8-11-2012 by phroziac because: (no reason given)

You calculated this how?

Its 7 times the mass of earth

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join