It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Super-Earth' exoplanet spotted 42 light-years away

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 11:06 AM
link   

'Super-Earth' exoplanet spotted 42 light-years away

www.bbc.co.uk

Astronomers have spotted another candidate for a potentially habitable planet - and it is not too far away.
The star HD 40307 was known to host three planets, all of them too near to support liquid water.

But research to appear in Astronomy and Astrophysics has found three more - among them a "super-Earth" seven times our planet's mass, in the habitable zone where liquid water can exist.

Many more observations will be needed to confirm any other similarities.But the find joins an ever-l
But the find joins an ever-larger catalogue of more than 800 known exoplanets, and it seem
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
exoplanet.eu
www.bbc.co.uk

Found: The Earthiest New Planet Yet
By Michael LemonickNov. 08, 2012

They didn’t use a space telescope, or a huge ground-based scope like the Keck or the Gemini, or even the sort of backyard telescope some planet-hunters rely on to gather evidence of alien worlds. Instead, a team of European and American astronomers started with a clever new analytical technique, applied it to a set of existing observations archived by the European Southern Observatory, and made what could be the biggest planet discovery since — well, since the announcement of a world in the nearby Alpha Centauri star system three weeks ago.

LINK

An Earthlike world in th....

edit on 8-11-2012 by wutz4tom because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 11:07 AM
link   
I always find these new discoveries to be interesting.

We know(or at least hope) there may well be the means to travel to these far way places one day.

Just nice knowing there may possibly be planets in which there is potential.
Hopefully we won't be viewed as spreading like a germ..

A little encouraging news is a good thing right?

www.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 11:11 AM
link   
It is just matter of time before something intelligent is discovered

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 11:13 AM
link   
Theyre warming us up for disclosure

If theres human life on that planet theyre probably all midgets.
if you weigh 300lb here youd weigh 2100lb there. soooo the human inhabitants there probably weigh around 50 earth pounds
edit on 8-11-2012 by phroziac because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 11:14 AM
link   
Project blue beam.

Coming to a theatre near you.

Deja vu on this comment lately.

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 11:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by phroziac

No.

YOU are warming yourself up to the reality of the existence of life elsewhere.

This is not their doing. This is just science as usual.

How much do we REALLY know about the rest of the universe? Have you ever set foot on another planet? Probably not. If you haven't then you really don't know much. We're still ignorant.

Get this... Ok. There're 200+ sextillion stars in the observable universe and most of them have planets and moons and asteroids. And there're billions of rogue planets in our galaxy ALONE.

And we've only landed astronauts on ONE extra-terrestrial body: the moon.

1 / (200+ sextillion stars + (billion(s) rogue planets * # of galaxies) + (4-6 planets * # of stars in universe) + (# of asteroids) + (# of moons)). (139 moons in our solar system ALONE)

ONE. We're still massively ignorant. Nobody needs to spoon feed us - knowledge is everywhere. We could be deaf and blind and dumb and still stumble/find mountains of truth.
edit on 8-11-2012 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 11:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by jonnywhite

No.

YOU are warming yourself up for the reality of the existence of life elsewhere.
edit on 8-11-2012 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

How would news like this not warm anyone else up to the possibility?

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 11:18 AM
link   
reply to post by phroziac

I like the fact that it is 7 times the earths mass.

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 11:23 AM
link   

I think Johnny has a valid point.

Many here in the modern world already believe in the possibility of ET being out there. "Disclosure" only means that a few Governments of the World were already aware of what many already believe.

It's the "Nonbeliever" who will be oooed and awed and probably riot as their paradigm comes crumbling down around their ankles....

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 11:25 AM
link   

It is bound to be given some thought by most..

The thought of stepping onto an habitable planet and there be no lifeforms seems odd to me.
That's only my opinion and I realize that..

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 11:26 AM
link   

If theres human life on that planet theyre probably all midgets.
if you weigh 300lb here youd weigh 2100lb there. soooo the human inhabitants there probably weigh around 50 earth pounds
edit on 8-11-2012 by phroziac because: (no reason given)

Mmmmmmm space midgets!

Could be the Umpaloompa home world?

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 11:29 AM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

But It will be a great day when the shock wears off and it will be a new world full of new possibilities.

Hopefully we will have learned some lessons before hand so as to not (put your words here).....hopefully.

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 11:34 AM
link   
reply to post by tvtexan

if you think you joints ache here......powered seated scooters would be a must for a while.

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 11:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by wutz4tom

HEY! BIGGER ISN'T BETTER... i mean... i don't care about it anyway... just sayin...

On a serious note seeing the whole world in a type of crisis.. whether war conflict or financial war (i am greek and i know) it kinda makes you feel that once we learn "officially" there is life in other planets and we have been contacted etc, all those problems we have created on ourselves on this rock of ours would simply go away... and thats a nice thought..

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 11:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Alda1981

HEY! BIGGER ISN'T BETTER... i mean... i don't care about it anyway... just sayin...

On a serious note seeing the whole world in a type of crisis.. whether war conflict or financial war (i am greek and i know) it kinda makes you feel that once we learn "officially" there is life in other planets and we have been contacted etc, all those problems we have created on ourselves on this rock of ours would simply go away... and thats a nice thought..

This is going to make me a target I know, but in my opinion we will given some guidance.

If our advanced brothers are out there, I can't imagine them wanting our current earth isolated issues taken in thier direction.
And if they simply don't exist...well we have got be the luckiest germs ever

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 11:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Alda1981

So you are saying if disclosure happens......Let's say an intelligent life form is found......That all of our problems will go away??

Can you please elaborate a little on this?

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 11:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Chrisfishenstein

I think that was sarcasm....although someone will...give it time

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 12:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Chrisfishenstein

I can't speak for Alda but...

I feel many of our problems will simply go away. All of them? Hell no, We're still humans. I think that many of the perceived racial, cultural and hopefully religious differences will straighten themselves out when people realize that we are all "Earthlings" and the other species out there is from a completely different background and origins.

Two things...

1.) It could bring humanity together to move forwards because we will be for the first time a "Species" among many.

2.) Realize that a species can over come and survive their growing/developmental period and their perceived internal diversity and move forward and out into space travel.
edit on 8-11-2012 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 12:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zcustosmorum
It is just matter of time before something intelligent is discovered
I expect aliens say that as they pass our planet.

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 12:07 PM
link   
You know what I think about when I hear that a planet exists that is seven times the size of the earth and potentially consisting of solid matter ? I think about mass, and gravity. That thing must weigh in like giant haystacks!

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join