It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: The Origins of the NSA Released

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 20 2004 @ 04:04 PM
link   
Internet cache scavenging pro Russ Kick and his site The Memory Hole has acquired an 8.8 Meg PDF document describing the history leading up to and including the birth of the premier SIGINT/COMINT agency in the U.S. The document is an interesting aco# of the origins of the NSA.

www.thememoryhole.com
The Acrobat file above is the first public presentation of "The Origins of the National Security Agency, 1940-1952" by Thomas L. Burns.

Published in-house by the NSA's Center for Cryptologic History in 1990, it was originally classified as Top Secret. On 08 Sept 2004, it was declassified - minus certain passages - thanks to a Freedom of Information Act request.

This study traces the evolution of the military structures from the early 1930s to the establishment of a unique agency to deal with COMINT [communications intelligence] - the National Security Agency - in 1952.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

This document should provide some valuable insight into the factors, changes and decisions that lead to the creation of the NSA. I have not had time to read it in it's entirety, but intend to shortly.

If any of you ATS'ers out there ever wondered about where the NSA came from, four words: Deny Ignorance. Read this.

posted on Oct, 20 2004 @ 04:09 PM
link   
Yep, yep, anyone who knows me, knows I need to read that PDF LOL.

posted on Oct, 21 2004 @ 09:06 AM
link   
This is not new information. It is all in the first two chapters of the James Bamford book Body Of Secrets: Anatomy Of The Ultra Secret National Security Agency

I just started reading it a couple weeks ago, only read a couple chapters so far, but it seems really interesting. You should all give it whirl.

new topics

join