It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

School curriculum trying to dumben Young adults?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 20 2004 @ 04:02 PM
link   
I don't know about you, but certainly you all know from being in high-school right now in America, that they're doing an excessively long logic unit in Geometry and making writing too structured within the regulatory way of writing (Thesis, M.O.D, CD #1, Comm #1). What I am saying is perhaps this is making too much of a structure on people so that it forces them to only follow one way of doing things, and when they are put into a tougher situation they will be overridden with a hard way of writing, especially when they need to create a really long essay of about 20 pages. What my thoughts on this are that they are making it almost impossible for the people who don't post on message boards and or write consistantly in other various ways, and if something new came up they would think it was unreal. Does anyone else feel that this writing structure is dumbing younger kids?

In conclusion, I just would like to say that because it's extremely boring and they've been doing the logic unit ever since the beginning of October, I am a little paranoid that they're trying to manipulate people into only using the "If... then... therefore" thing. It's really stupid IMO, and I don't see what the purpose of doing it is, so it isn't needed. What do you about this?

posted on Oct, 21 2004 @ 11:27 PM
link   
*Shakes head* Another high school rebel.

The basic thing the school is trying to get your do is to throw a little bit of everything of what you could be.

That is why high schools have that many subjects. You never know, F- student in Geometry, could become a Physics major with a 4.0 GPA.

Not only that, they are trying to increase the volume of your brain your brain. Our brains are not set in stone, at birth we have so little pathways that they don't even matter. By making your brain think and rethink you are making it grow. For example language is associated with the left brain. More language you use and more you learn about languages, the left brain grows (actually folds in the brain grow by refolding and refolding). So the school is trying to make all parts of your brain grow. Proof for all this: Einstein's brian.

Remember before Einstein died, he donated his body to the university, so after he died, scientists took his brain out to see what made him so special. They found out that he had extensive folds in the area involved in spatial thinking and mathematics (right).

You probably aren't going to rememeber Alternate Exterior angle theorm, but you are going to remember that If and Therfore relationship.

So stick with it if you want a bigger brain.

posted on Oct, 21 2004 @ 11:40 PM
link   
But most teachers just don't care anymore, and the administrations tend to not care at all. I'm lucky; I'm in a program where the teachers actually want us to learn, rather than just pass. But the administration hates it. They all just want the lesson plans to be approved by the national comittee for education, or whatever it's called. They dont' care if it actually teaches us anything, or if the teachers are actually trying.

posted on Oct, 21 2004 @ 11:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Solasis
But most teachers just don't care anymore, and the administrations tend to not care at all. I'm lucky; I'm in a program where the teachers actually want us to learn, rather than just pass. But the administration hates it. They all just want the lesson plans to be approved by the national comittee for education, or whatever it's called. They dont' care if it actually teaches us anything, or if the teachers are actually trying.

Well, we aren't living in a perfect world, where everyone goes by the rules and everything is set in stone.

I too am lucky of having teachers who took the time to explain it to us and also wants us to really learn.

posted on Oct, 22 2004 @ 08:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by NWObringer
I don't know about you, but certainly you all know from being in high-school right now in America, that they're doing an excessively long logic unit in Geometry and making writing too structured within the regulatory way of writing (Thesis, M.O.D, CD #1, Comm #1).

Statement of facts.

What I am saying is perhaps this is making too much of a structure on people so that it forces them to only follow one way of doing things, and when they are put into a tougher situation they will be overridden with a hard way of writing, especially when they need to create a really long essay of about 20 pages.

If...

What my thoughts on this are that they are making it almost impossible for the people who don't post on message boards and or write consistantly in other various ways, and if something new came up they would think it was unreal. Does anyone else feel that this writing structure is dumbing younger kids?

Then...

In conclusion, I just would like to say that because it's extremely boring and they've been doing the logic unit ever since the beginning of October, I am a little paranoid that they're trying to manipulate people into only using the "If... then... therefore" thing. It's really stupid IMO, and I don't see what the purpose of doing it is, so it isn't needed. What do you about this?

Therefore...

One purpose of logical thought is to be able to convey information in a logical and progressive manner. Keep up the good work.

posted on Oct, 22 2004 @ 04:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Raphael_UO

Originally posted by NWObringer
I don't know about you, but certainly you all know from being in high-school right now in America, that they're doing an excessively long logic unit in Geometry and making writing too structured within the regulatory way of writing (Thesis, M.O.D, CD #1, Comm #1).

Statement of facts.

What I am saying is perhaps this is making too much of a structure on people so that it forces them to only follow one way of doing things, and when they are put into a tougher situation they will be overridden with a hard way of writing, especially when they need to create a really long essay of about 20 pages.

If...

What my thoughts on this are that they are making it almost impossible for the people who don't post on message boards and or write consistantly in other various ways, and if something new came up they would think it was unreal. Does anyone else feel that this writing structure is dumbing younger kids?

Then...

Therefore...

One purpose of logical thought is to be able to convey information in a logical and progressive manner. Keep up the good work.

You just had to do that didn't you?! I think that it is possible to convey information without doing that thought process, in fact, it has also wasted 4 weeks and I am doing fine without it
, then from that we can assume that people do not know how to formulate their opinions without a structure.

posted on Oct, 23 2004 @ 02:25 AM
link   
I don't think it's that we don't need the process; it's that we don't need to know the process. We sort of naturally tend to do if-then things. If we know the process, we tend to try to make everything seem like an if-then thing to make ourselves seem smart.

posted on Oct, 23 2004 @ 07:10 PM
link   
Right, what I'm trying to figure out is why was it so long? Afterall, right now we're doing normal geometric proofs and it really isn't making things less or more difficult within the logic unit, since it was originally to help the geometric proofs, but what is the point of the unit if it doesn't effect you at all O_O?

posted on Oct, 23 2004 @ 08:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Solasis
I don't think it's that we don't need the process; it's that we don't need to know the process. We sort of naturally tend to do if-then things. If we know the process, we tend to try to make everything seem like an if-then thing to make ourselves seem smart.

Originally posted by surfup
By making your brain think and rethink you are making it grow.

No you don't naturally do if-then things, you were thought that as you grew up.

Surf

top topics

join