It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What's your favorite way to eat bacon or what do you eat it with?

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 01:32 AM
link   
I used to eat BLC's. The BLT's I eat today have today now have the T, although I DO enjoy the BLTC once in a while!!

I'm going to try the bacon in the marinara thing for sure. Not so sure about putting syrup in it though??
edit on 9-11-2012 by MidnightSunshine because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 01:47 AM
link   
I like to make a grilled cheese sandwich by putting crisp fried bacon slices between two slices of cheese in the bread and then fry it up well browned in bacon drippings.

Another way I use bacon is to put some in the bottom of the cups in my poaching pan, then add the raw eggs on top and cook until the eggs are starting to get done from the bottom before I put the lid on to finish them off to the final firmness I like.

Then I have my "Yogi's Famous Potato Salad" (recipe to follow) that uses a whole 1-1/2 pounds of bacon and a ham steak fried in the bacon drippings and cubed. BTW - Yogi is another name I am known by online.

FYI - In my area the local WalMart carries an off brand of bacon ends and pieces in a three pound package for $6.00 and change. It isn't pretty but it is perfect for cooking with bacon like in black eyed peas.

======================================================

Yogi's famous potato salad

INGREDIENTS

5 lbs clean medium to large red potatoes boiled in skins, cooled, peeled, and cubed - Optional, if you select potatoes with really clean skins you can leave them on when you dice the potatoes. This gives the salad more color and more vitamins. (Note 1)

1 medium to large yellow onion diced medium fine. You could substitute a red salad onion for color and flavor. (Note 2)

1-1/2 lbs (1 pkg.) West Virginia brand thick sliced bacon cut into 1" pieces and fried until medium crisp and drained. If you cannot find West Virginia brand bacon select another high quality thick sliced bacon. (Note 3)

1 thick ham steak browned in skillet in bacon drippings and shredded into approximately 1/2" chunks.

1 medium jar Vlasik Zesty bread and butter pickle chips drained and diced to approximately 3/8" square. (Note 4)

4 to 6 spears celery washed and diced. (Note 5)

1 to 1-1/2 dozen eggs hard boiled and cut into quarters or eighths.

DRESSING

1 qt jar Miracle Whip – The low fat Miracle Whip is barely OK but stay away from the fat free version. It does not work for the dressing.

1 to 2 tbsp yellow mustard (Note 6)

1 to 2 cups whole milk depending on the consistency you like your dressing.

Put Miracle Whip in a bowl large enough to whisk in the mustard and milk. Add one cup of milk and whisk until smooth. Then add some or all the second cup and keep whisking until you reach the right consistency. Remember, the potatoes are going to absorb some of the liquid so make it a little thinner than you want the final consistency to be.

GARNISH (optional)

Red, green, and/or yellow sweet peppers cut into rings and/or strips

Green onion trees (trimmed and slit lengthwise at green end)

Hard boiled egg slices

Paprika

Celery sticks

Lemon, lime, and/or orange zest strips

Colored salt (made the same way as colored sugar)

Use any or all or add something of your own to dress it up.

DIRECTIONS

How coarse you chop, dice, and cube the ingredients is a matter of personal taste. However, I have found that most people like this potato salad better if the ingredients are kept to the slightly large side. Especially the potatoes, they should be at least 3/4" to 1" cubes.

Reserve some of the dressing to remoisten the salad later as the potatoes will tend to absorb it if leftovers are kept for a day or more.

Use a really large mixing bowl and layer the ingredients in the following order. Put the potatoes on the bottom. Then add all the dry diced ingredients except the eggs. Then put the bacon and ham on top. Finally add the pickles and pour on half the dressing mix and add the eggs.

Start mixing with a large wooden spoon by going down the edge of the bowl under the ingredients and lifting. As soon as the first half of the dressing and the finer ingredients disappear under the potatoes add the rest of the dressing and continue mixing by going under and lifting until properly mixed. Do not stir in the normal way as you will break up the eggs and potatoes.

The final step is to put the salad in a serving bowl and garnish if you wish.

Well, the actual final step is to eat and enjoy.

YOGI

NOTES:

1 - The better the potatoes the better the salad. New red potatos with a waxy consistency are best. I tried this recipe one time with Idaho potatoes and did not like them.

2 - The onion is one ingredient you want to dice fairly fine even if you love coarse chunks of other ingredients. Onion tends to overpower the flavor if left in too big of pieces.

3 - The bacon will have a better texture and flavor if it is cooked a little on the crisper side as it will soften in the dressing.

4 - The Vlasik Zesty chips are the best as they have a slight bite to them that keeps them from being lost in the rest of the flavors. The original recipe used garlic dill chips but I found that the Vlasik Zesty chips tasted better to me. Any strong flavored chip will work if you like it. Just cut them coarser if they are not as strong as the zesty ones.

5 - Watch how much celery you use and watch the color. Celery that is very light green has the best flavor and crunch. Celery that is darker in color tends to be bitterer and stronger in flavor as well as stringy. If dark green celery is all you can get dice it finer and use less.

6 - In spite of the addition of yellow mustard this is not a mustard dressing. The small amount used only adds some zest to the flavor of the dressing.

I got this recipe from Smettan's Family Restaurant in South Elgin Illinois. It is slightly modified from the original but still retains the great taste and texture of the original. The restaurant went out of business a few years back, actually more like 7 0r 8 years ago. The daughters apparently could not keep it afloat after their father passed away.

This is one of those recipes that people shake their heads over until they taste it then they want more.

YOGI

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 02:34 AM
link   
I favor dry-cured bacon or thick sliced; usually I go with fresh eggs (done on both sides with whole jelly-like yolk) and S&W Chili Beans, but my favorite is simply bacon fried in rib fat served on bread (made with cocosa, spelt flour, hemp protein, and hemp seeds), -with real butter (sweat) and "Ridder cheese"...

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 02:47 AM
link   
Oooh, BACON! What a great topic - I tried to avoid it for a long time due to the nitrites increasing cancer risk, but have recently kept it in the fridge because it's hard to resist any more. I do prefer mine low sodium, or thick cut. I also keep real bacon bits in the fridge for salads, potatoes, eggs, green beans, my son and I are both bacon lovers. I also like to make a sandwich with it, but I cannot have bread, so I will get some nice leafy lettuce and wash and dry 2-3 big leaves, lay them out and put a big of low fat mayo on both, using them as bread (no wheat in my diet right now). Then I add slices of sharp cheddar, bacon, red tomato. It is so good and juicy - and I have actually found that skipping the bread gives a much more juicy, flavorful experience to my taste buds than when everything is buried in bread or a bun, I really like it more now that I'm used to it. You can also order sandwiches that way at the fast food places, lettuce-wrap. Anyway, I also have a habit sometimes of rinsing the bacon in some warm tap water and drying it before I cook it, and cutting it in halves or thirds so it doesn't curl so much and fight the pan. I try to find the leanest cut by checking the package window on the bacon packages in the market till I find the best one - the leaner, the better. I also would like to some day try the chocolate covered bacon - hear that is a good one, too. I always love the way the bacon smell fills the house, and I imagine my hungry neighbors walking by and getting jealous, haha.

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 03:23 AM
link   
reply to post by happykat39

Holy Crap Happykat that sounds so freaken good!! nice

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 03:27 AM
link   
reply to post by saintinwaiting

I try to find the leanest cut by checking the package window

When I see people pick up bacon without checking the window I'm all like, WHAT??? Crazy people

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 03:49 AM
link   
reply to post by obnoxiouschick

I like bacon too, but for health reasons you really ought not have it too often. That said, a most delicious snack is saving/collecting bacon grease and using it as a bread spread in conjunction with minced garlic. I'd use french bread or some other artisan style bread.

Also like putting bacon bits into macaroni and cheese. Another thing to do is to mix save bacon grease into ground, dry/very lean meats such as buffalo.

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 05:33 AM
link   
I like to eat bacon with my Halal Falafel Wraps.

Also, the Bacon Maple bar from Voodoo Donuts in Portland is da Bomb!

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 06:13 AM
link   
HAHA! can't believe this thread has made the front page, have to say all the pics posted look absolutley disgusting exept for the one that sinny posted, which looks nice and organized, the others look like someones chucked all over them, you Americans have got a serious problem when it comes to food and i say that with no disrespect, the one with the chunks and yellowish sauce all over the chips nearly made me sick looking at it, in fact they all nearly made me sick exept for the full english.
edit on 9-11-2012 by Undeadlady because: typo

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 06:58 AM
link   
Meat Candy=
Whenever I entertain at home, served as a appetizer, these gems are simple and will have them raving every time:

Package of Little Smokies. (those little smoked sausages that most people throw in a crock pot with bbq sauce.)
Package of cherry smoked bacon.
Brown sugar.

Cut bacon into thirds. Take one third of the slice and wrap a little smokey and toothpick in place. Repeat.
Put these on a cookie sheet sprayed with nonstick of your choice.
Top each with brown sugar. Bake in preheated 375 degree oven for about 25 minutes.

Dipping sauce:
1 part your favorite bbq sauce, 1 part mayo

The sweet/smokey/savory explosion is heaven, satisfaction guaranteed!

The other fail safe favorite is this one:

Chorizo Stuffed Bacon Wrapped Dates

I'll just post a link to that recipe to for the sake of space:

Recipe
edit on 9-11-2012 by Lonewulph because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 07:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sinny
There's only 2 ways to eat bacon in this country - and that's a Full English:

Or a bacon sarny.

Each accompanied with a CUPPA TEA and HP BROWN SAUCE

English breakfast? Where are the eels? Just jokin'!! That breakfast looks delicious, and as my friends across 'the pond' might say, I could murder that right now!

Obnoxiouschick...Here's a bacon dish that I only make now & then. Bacon-wrapped eggs...yum!

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 07:56 AM
link   
streaky bacon cooked so its crispy with potched egg fryed mushrooms and cheese in a sandwich (ultimate hang over cure)

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 08:16 AM
link   

Hash browns fried with with chopped onions, bell peppers, cheese and bacon. You can even take the leftovers and toss em in a omelet. Good stuff.

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 08:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by Undeadlady
HAHA! can't believe this thread has made the front page, have to say all the pics posted look absolutley disgusting exept for the one that sinny posted, which looks nice and organized, the others look like someones chucked all over them, you Americans have got a serious problem when it comes to food and i say that with no disrespect, the one with the chunks and yellowish sauce all over the chips nearly made me sick looking at it, in fact they all nearly made me sick exept for the full english.
edit on 9-11-2012 by Undeadlady because: typo

ok
but I just want to point out that dish with the fries and gravy was a Canadian thing.

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 09:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by adnachiel21
I don't get why bacon is unhealthy, it's protein and fat, the building blocs of tissue, it's worse to eat refined cabs.Any way I love bacon in every shape and form but my favorite why to eat it is to put it on barbecue to becomes little crispy,saute onions with soy sauce in a pan until they become caramelized .Then you take a bun slice it in half,spread it with kaymak (a high fat absolutely delicious milk cream),and put your crispy bacon and caramelized onions in it.Heaven.But I have some really bad news for my fellow bacon worshipers.edition.cnn.com...www.cbsnews.com...
Is it contradictory that I find pigs adorable?For gods sake I call my boyfriend a pig.

I had to look up kaymak and I don't think I can get that here. 60% milk fat WOW
Gives me an idea maybe I should travel around the world looking for unusual bacon recipes.
Except that looming scary as hell BACON SHORTAGE wth.
no no can't have that happen I thought Monsanto got over their interest in pig breeding. They are the ones creating the shortage.

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 09:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by ascension211

I can be down the street and smell bacon. I have many ways I like to eat it. My favorite way.....on a breakfast pizza.

I take a thin or hand tossed/large dough and coat the underside and edges with butter. I use cream gravy for the sauce. I start with cheese and make a border around the edges and a # pattern of cheese in the middle from edge to edge, then I place 6-9 eggs (sunny side, raw) in the boxes (#), sprinkle crumbled sausage and diced ham, diced onions and green peppers, topped with bacon crumbles. This recipe calls for a cookie sheet, oven baked @ 450 degrees for about 14 minutes or until the eggs are glazed over. I would post a picture but don't have one handy. Never seen anyone make it other than me. Variations, but not the way I make it.

That pizza sounds cool but what is the cream gravy?
would hollandaise sauce do?

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 09:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by obnoxiouschick
That pizza sounds cool but what is the cream gravy?
would hollandaise sauce do?

Erp. Not for me.

Hollandaise sauce is like hot mayonnaise. Cream gravy is a milk based gravy made with some fat (pan drippings) flour (basically a roux) and milk. Think sausage gravy and biscuits.

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 09:19 AM
link   
Another way, and I think someone posted a pic, is Breaded Bacon. how I prepare mine is this way...

Make a mix of you fav flour with the following:
mrs dash table blend
garlic powder
onion powder
other spices you like

cover the bacon in the flour mix.

Cook 2 slices of unbreaded bacon to get the grease going.
Then cook the rest of the bacon as normal, you can even bake it if you want.

It makes it a bit chewy, so if you like crispy, then this may not be for you, but the taste is divine.

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 09:20 AM
link   
In America it seems difficult to get proper bacon but in the UK or Denmark it is everywhere. I prefer my bacon fried until it is crispy then on white bread with real butter. MMMM heaven.

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 09:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Destinyone

Destiny....you're killing me here??
edit on 9-11-2012 by XLR8R because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join