reply to post by grandmakdw
Well, that was quite a speech.
I am a liberal democrat, and let me tell you what I want:
1. I want all consenting adults to be able to marry the one they love. Is that intolerant or hateful?
2. I want government programs to help those in our society who need a helping hand. Is that intolerant or hateful?
3. I want a woman to be able to have control of her own body. Is that intolerant or hateful?
4. I want the death penalty abolished. Is that intolerant or hateful?
5. I would like for there to be some type of controls on guns, so that it's a little harder to get hold of them by those in our society who want to
hurt others. Is that intolerant or hateful?
6. I want more funding towards education,especially in inner-city neighborhoods, so that our youth have a chance to succeed. Is that intolerant or
7. I want contraceptives to be made easily available so that there are as few unwanted pregnancies and abortions as possible. Is that intolerant or
8. While I am not a religious person, I want tolerance for all religions, including Muslims, as well as atheists. I want people to be sensitive to
these other religions and to remember that Christianity is not the only religion in America.
Now, let me tell you how the typical far right conservative fundamentalist feels about what I want:
1. Gays have no right to be married, or to call themselves married, because the Bible says homosexuality is an abomination. Intolerant/hateful?
2. The people who need assistance from the government are lazy bums trying to take advantage, and they should get off their butt and get a job.
3. Women shouldn't be having sex if they don't want a baby. Intolerant/hateful? Hmmm
4. Those S.O.B.s committed a heinous crime - they deserve to die for it. If we execute an innocent man - oh well, capital punishment is still a good
thing. Intolerant/hateful? Hmmm
5. Anyone should be able to get any kind of gun. Those bleeding heart liberals can pry my gun out of my cold dead fingers. Intolerant/hateful?
6. Why are we blowing money on inner-city schools? It's just going to waste. Those kids are just going to be drug dealers and gang leaders anyway.
7. See # 3
8. This country was founded on Christian principles, so we are a Christian nation - and everyone knows that all Muslims want to kill Americans.
Now, honestly - is that an incorrect assessment of the far right? Which viewpoint is more tolerant?
I will continue to fight for what I want, because I believe it is inclusive, rather than exclusive. Fortunately, the rest of America seems to be
leaning in that direction as well. The only point Rachel was making is that the far right is getting left behind. The next several generations, I
believe, will embrace tolerance for all, regardless of race, gender, sexual orientation, education or income level. I think the next several
generations will have less use for violent weapons. I think they will have no problem with gays getting married, and they won't have a problem with
providing contraception for women, and they won't fault a woman who feels that abortion is the best choice for HER, and they won't treat all Muslims
Maybe I'm just dreaming, but I think it's totally possible that we are becoming a more tolerant and peace-loving society. And that's a good thing.
Are we a divided nation? Maybe right now, but the people who are less tolerant towards minorities, gays, atheists, Muslims, the poverty-stricken, etc.
are a dying breed. I am very hopeful as to what the next several generations bring.