It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Pins Fall Over

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 03:31 AM
link   
I used to love ten pin bowling. Not only was the game itself enjoyable, but the social aspects of hanging out with friends and talking about life while we bowled was fascinating. It was not just a filler activity, it was a lifestyle filled with fun, friendship and excitement. From the moment you put those bowling shoes on, it was like entering another world - a better world. You would joke and laugh about life while waiting your turn, enter an intense moment of concentration when it was your roll, or be greeted with cheers of adoration when you managed to pull off an impressive strike. Then you would go for something to eat afterwards and discuss how you were "in the zone" or "had a bad omen" that day. Those were precious times.

I am not certain exactly when things started to change, but gradually the experience began to lose its appeal. Now it joins a growing list of activities that I no longer gain pleasure from. The thought of putting on those shoes doesn't carry the same excitement as it used to. The whole routine is like any other chore - boring, uninspiring and predictable. The talk is idle chit-chat with no substance; the bonding element has all but evaporated. You wait your turn, crack a smile at others while mumbling some barely coherent platitude. When it is your turn, you stand up, roll the ball and see the pins fall over. The pins always fall over loudest when you have nothing to say.

The above extract attempts to familiarise the reader with the condition known as anhedonia. It is normal to gain and lose interest in certain activities throughout your life, but when one loses interest in several activities in the space of a short time, and lack of activity causes feelings of emptiness and isolation, Anhedonia might be the reason why.

Extended reading:
* Wikipedia entry
* Psychology Today article
* BioPsychiatry
* Net Doctor

edit on 8/11/2012 by Dark Ghost because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 03:44 AM
link   
Learn something new every day, I just thought they called it depression.

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 04:06 AM
link   
reply to post by taccj9903

While the two are strongly related, they are not quite interchangeable conditions.

Depression is more to do with a consistently low mood accompanied by abnormally negative thought patterns and a loss of pleasure in activities that one would ordinarily find enjoyable.

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 06:53 AM
link   
I have to associate with this then, I have had several 'hobbies' or interests over the years, Go karting, RC Cars, Paintball, airsoft, PS3, Wii , you name it I wanted to do it.
I went out and bought all the gear, spending quite literally hundreds of dollars ( or pounds seeing as I live in the UK) on the best bits or accessories, only to 'do it' a few times then get bored and try and find something else to 'entertain me'.
Last year I was out of work for about 6 months, TBH I wasn't looking for a job but don't tell the wife, but one day I wandered about the flat looking for something to do, I stood in my front room, I said to myself " Shall I watch TV?, no. Shall I watch a video?, no. Shall I read a book?, no, Shall I play on the PC?, no, Look out the window? no".
I basically stood in the front room, my head sank to my chest and I said " I HAVE to do something to occupy my time now" , THAT was depression setting in. So its IMHO is a mix of both.

Now I'm looking at my jobs contract which ends in a couple of days and I remember that day in my front room. something I WILL NOT be repeating, I will also not be wasting money on useless frivolities unless I know I can get a bargain, My mother in law bought me a second hand bike so I will buy cheap bits for it instead of spending hundreds again as the wife seems to think I'll get bored with it soon enough. Something to keep me entertained and fit.
Its so hard to find something you can enjoy doing these days, your constantly bombarded with 'do this, do that, that sometimes you don't know what you want to do, its a conspiracy to confuse us all I tell ya.....,.,

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 01:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dark Ghost
reply to post by taccj9903

While the two are strongly related, they are not quite interchangeable conditions.

Depression is more to do with a consistently low mood accompanied by abnormally negative thought patterns and a loss of pleasure in activities that one would ordinarily find enjoyable.

Thanks for clarifying between the two, I was beginning to think I was getting depression but sounds more like I have the other one.

top topics

join