Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

Catching a Spider

page: 1

join

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 01:33 AM
link   
Some of my neighbors became irrational after Hurricane Sandy. They were overwhelmed by the
odd instinct to leave their homes for whatever reasons. These are upland folks. So there were not any
evacuation orders for their location. The Hurricane caused such massive downed trees and wires
that we were all trapped on our road. Never the less, the herd mentality kicked in, and these people were
convinced that they had to get "somewhere". Some went so far as attempting creating alternative routes
through the woodlands which only resulted in stuck vehicals. In other words, these people were only
adding more problems to the equation, and seemed to have no clue as to the conditions of their enviroment.

After much begging and pleading , I agreed to clear the roads and woodlands for them after I was done
removing a large tree that had fallen and punctured a hole in a roof and caused substantial structural
damage. I witnessed no arterial red spraying fountains to justify their requests, but began the process
of heavy duty chainsaw work to clear the way.Actually, I had no issues about it at all at the time, as I
felt I was contributing to my local neighbors and community.

That generous state of mind quickly changed however as I experienced people flying past me in their
vehicals as soon as I had cut a pathway. All the same, I continued clearing trunks of large Ash, Oak,
and Maple Trees obstructing the road. Then within 10 to 15 minutes a parade of the same vehicals
returned up the road and back to their origins. The whole Town was blocked off at one point or another.
So their frantic escape was futile.

I was pretty tired after all of this, but it dawned on me how clueless and programmed some people
are. They pay no attention to their surroundings or weather warnings whatsoever.
Then there were the Gas and Grocery shortages. After only 48 hours, some people were becoming
violent. Police blockades were assigned to Every Gas Station in my area. Lines of traffic followed.
Needless to say more and more people were behaving stupidly.

At any rate, after 8 days without heat,electricity,or running water, the electrical power was finally
restored to my part of our area. Currently there are still thousands in the dark. Then after 10 days
Cable TV / Internet started working. After attending to the most critical of the hundreds of emails
I needed to respond to, and catching up on current events, I felt the need to write and share some of my
experience here.

I will tell you all that Candles, Full Gas Cans, Batteries,Firewood, and Non-Perishable foods are Critical
to have. A Coleman Type Campstove with lots of extra fuel is paramount. Instant Coffee/Tea
is essential. Books/Playing cards are a must have as well. If you do not have a charger, Kindle,IPOD,
Cell Phones, and the like are useless. About 3 days ago, I would have gladly traded any of those things
for a cold case of beer. In order to flush toilets, 5 gallon buckets were need to collect water.
I would advise having have a dozen of them with lids.

There is much more that I could detail, however, I would like to let you know about spiders.
Spiders like to hang out in a variety of places, including firewood.
As it happens, when I sat down to write this to you all, I came across a really nasty specimen.
Instead of the knee-jerk smashing method, I grabbed a glass from the cabinet, ripped a postcard
off of one of the fridge magnets,captured it , and released it on the accumulating snow outside
(We are having Another freak Nor'Easter as I type)
of the back door. In case you dont know, you place the glass over the target, and
slide the postcard underneath. Then you take it outside and release it. This works for any manner
of insects as well. Be careful though, because if you tangle with the wrong species
you can really have a bad night.

Sorry to say, there is no IPOD "APP" for this. Nor will there ever be.

Imagine That

MODS -Feel free to relocate to a more conducive forum if need be. Best,,,Wildmanimal
edit on 8-11-2012 by Wildmanimal because: typo

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 02:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Wildmanimal

a good read, mate.

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 02:29 AM
link   
reply to post by sirbadazz

Glad you enjoyed it. By the way, a wind up,solar radio is nice to have as well.
No Batteries required.

Thanks for your reply.

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 02:39 AM
link   
All that from one l storm,
You guys are so screwed if TSreallyHTF.
Not you but the other you's

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 02:44 AM
link   
reply to post by 12voltz

Without a doubt.
A worrisome percentage of the population
is completely unprepared for even a week.

Think about that.
Best to You

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 06:34 AM
link   
I don't get the grasshopper mentality as I am an ant. I begin to stock up in August for a winter, that these days seems not so likely, as in my area they have been warmer and with less precept, that does not deter me, I am an expect the worst kind of person. I prepare to be snowed in and unable to get to the store. I am also prepared for power outage as in 2007 an ice storm cut power to my house for 10 days, not an experience anyone enjoys, or wants to repeat. Your neighbors sound typical for these times, unfortunately. Thank you for your thread, it is very helpful with the tips you offer. Glad you and yours made it through. Makes you really grateful for ordinary things doesn't it?

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 01:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Iamschist

It most certainly does.

That hot shower and shave that we (I speak for myself) take for granted
really feels like a 5 star Hotel Luxury after 10 days without.

I am what I am, Best Regards to you Olive.

posted on Nov, 14 2012 @ 04:42 AM
link   
ha haa ... thanks for your insights .. its not something i would like to endure myself .. but i am sure its a real eye opener on several levels ...

i soooo agree with your observation of people 'en masse' ... generally speaking .. i often take a sit back, and observe people around me ... on the motorways for example .. they cut in into slip roads, to overtake waiting cars .. and then cut back in up the road a bit ... so they managed to overtake a few cars .. and save about 10 seconds ? .. what amazes me .. is the whole reason the tailbacks at these sliproads becomes sooo huge.. is due to people cutting out and back in again .. it also jams up the slip roads .. and creates sooo much road rage ... if they all sat in place and waited like i do ... the tailback would never really exist to such an extent ... traffic would move faar more uniformly (albeit slowly during rushour), and the problem just wouldnt exist ... the point im making .. i see people cutting up other people all the time .. cos they think their time is more important .. they want to get home seconds sooner than other people ... maybe a tiny proportion are genuinely in some sort of emergency ... but the vast majority are just selfish and put more importance on themselves than others ... they may be kind gentle people to the ones they know ... but how we treat the people that we dont know, who are completely neutral to us .. shows a different aspect of our true character .... just one example of how peoples selfishness, and ignorance / stupidity as a whole causes unnecessary problems for everyone .. even just a tiny fraction of a group being selfish, causes problems for all in the group ... Ants, for example, on the other hand, who at an individual level appear to have 'zero' selfishness .. and always seems to act for the greater good of the whole group rather than only their own personal desires, seem to create zero uneccessery problems like this .. and function extremely efficiently as a whole .. and them alone .. compared to the way we treat each other as a group.. make us look shameful ... imo

I laugh tho ... Cos i was wondering when the topic would turn onto spiders .. and how this storm might relate to them in such a way as to start a thread ... With anticipation .. i read on .. and at the end .. you really did tell us how to catch a spider ... just as the title suggests ... lol ... am not mocking .. genuinely humoured me tho i dont think that was your intention ...
I recently just started using the method you suggest ... prior to that .. i would always leave the spiders be .. even if they were on the wall at my bed .. i would just pull the bed away a bit ... thats not a 'im not scared of a spider' macho response ... the opposite .. i was too creeped out to go anywhere near them ... But they were becoming a problem as i had families of spiders living in my house it seems ... everywhere ... infested ... all same type ..
Far better method than the spider catcher 'as seen on tv' .... but you do have to get a little bit closer and personal with the tub and card method ...
just killing them cos i dont like the look of them is not something i even consider ... but where i am, we dont really have any wildlife that wants to harm us like many other places in the world ... so no need for me to kill ..

wow ... did i type all that ... i just meant to say hi
cheers ...

posted on Nov, 14 2012 @ 04:51 AM
link   
Hell- people are like that at my local Wal-Mart.

You are right- people are stupid.

I think it may be do to people being too involved with "the grid".
edit on 14-11-2012 by Common Good because: spelling

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 12:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Segenam

Hello Back to you and Cheers to yours in the new year!
I have family in Scotland. What an exceptionally Cool Country.
Nothing like a nice warm Iron Brew on the banks of Loch Lomond.
I'll be back!
Best to you, Wildmanimal in The U.S.A.

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 12:41 AM
link   
Had me going for awhile. As I was reading I was like, where the hell is the spider?

Thought I had clicked on the wrong thread.

Great post.

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 12:35 AM
link   
reply to post by jam321

Glad you enjoyed the curve ball.
Thanks for your reply.

join