It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

$39.99 windows 8 can't upgrade to 64 bit

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 01:13 AM
link   
an fyi just so you don't get trapped

Use Upgrade Advisor to Upgrade from Windows 32-bit to Windows 8 64-bit

If you’re running a 32-bit version of Windows XP, Vista, or 7, and you wish to upgrade to the 64-bit version of Windows 8, can you do this via Upgrade Advisor? Will that work? (Or vice versa, though I can’t imagine anyone wanting to go from 64-bit to 32-bit.)

No.

Upgrade Advisor only provides you with the same platform type (32-bit/x86 or 64-bit/x64) as the system you’re currently using. So if you have a 32-bit version of Windows, and you use Upgrade Advisor to perform an upgrade or clean install, the resulting Windows 8 Pro OS you get will be 32-bit. (Ditto for those who start with a 64-bit version of Windows: You will get Windows 8 Pro 64-bit.)

Use Upgrade Advisor to make a 32-bit or 64-bit Windows 8 Setup disc or disk

What about those using Upgrade Advisor to make a bootable USB-based device or save an ISO? Can you then choose between 32-bit and 64-bit versions and download/create the version you want?

No.

Here again, Upgrade Advisor will only provide you with the same platform type (32-bit/x86 or 64-bit/x64) as the system you’re currently using. If you start with 32-bit, you get 32-bit
link

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 01:22 AM
link   
Solution - throw your PC away and get a mac.

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 01:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by homeslice

That's even worse than windows 8...

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 01:32 AM
link   
it doesnt matter anyways. windows 8 will fail. its even debatable if theres room in the tablet market for windows surface.

and dont get me started on windows rt and the more exspensive windows 8 surface.
microsoft have failed to differentiate between the two so as a result buyers will think they can run the same programs

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 01:34 AM
link   
Whatever, I guarantee if you had a mac rather than a bloody pc you would run into 99% less ridiculous problems.

Unless your a nerd who gets a hard-on from building thier own computer or a your a serious gamer, a pc is just a massive pain in the ass.

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 01:47 AM
link   
reply to post by homeslice

Ugh I think the same is true for a Mac; Macs are computers for trendsters who want to possess overpriced trash for the sake of looking "hip;" I don't think there are any benefits to Macs over PCs. Mac is the pompous douchebag's computer. Apple is a despicable company, I stay away from their products.

Windows 8, from what I've seen, is a radical change from traditional OS's, I'm probably going to stick with windows 7 for a while.

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 02:03 AM
link   
If you want to switch versions you have to backup your data/wipe/install required version and then restore your data

Its been that way since XP so nothing new

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 02:03 AM
link   
reply to post by reject

Maybe you could partition a fresh hard drive into 64 bit via BIOS before full install.
Or perhaps another 3rd party program?

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 02:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by Maxatoria
If you want to switch versions you have to backup your data/wipe/install required version and then restore your data

Not if you're upgrading from Windows 7.

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 02:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by DestroyDestroyDestroy

Ugh I think the same is true for a Mac; Macs are computers for trendsters who want to possess overpriced trash for the sake of looking "hip;" I don't think there are any benefits to Macs over PCs. Mac is the pompous douchebag's computer. Apple is a despicable company, I stay away from their products.

Windows 8, from what I've seen, is a radical change from traditional OS's, I'm probably going to stick with windows 7 for a while.

I felt the same, to be honest, at first when I had a look at W8.. uhh I thought, what typical m$ bs.. and vowed to despise it. I dabbled with in a vm, thought if it translates the same feeling to an actual desktop install I'd stick to W7.

But curiosity got the better of me a little while back and I had to reinstall W7 anyway.. thought I'd take an image of the working machine, and give 8 a go. And it's pretty much a little bit more of a polished 7 underneath some dicky 'start page' thing that you CAN use if you want, as in once the desktop is open you only go there accidentally by pressing start.. which it does serve as, pretty well..

I actually like it, to be honest.. and I can probably find something somewhere that I said the exact opposite before having used it for an extended period..

it handles some things that 7 didnt handle too well, no more drastic instant screen changes with a popup that the colour scheme has changed for a program that I've just opened. and it actually does boot a lot quicker than 7 did for me, on an el cheapo ssd drive.

it's windows 7 with a novelty concept tacked on, really. it's design to a windows 7 user will be for a windows 7 experience, with a windows 8 sub-design. for those who like fancy tablet wotsits.. or have a touchscreen desktop monitor, im sure you'll find a lot to keep you stuck on the start panel page, with the store and plenty of free apps.. lol, apps..

definitely a stepping stone... but one where I think they can see the way back should it start to get slippery under foot.

edit on 8-11-2012 by winofiend because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 02:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Maxatoria

not only not for windows 8 from windows 7, but never from a 32 bit os to a 64 bit os.

Now here's my question.

Who installed the 32 bit os on the 64 bit hardware in the first place?

If it's new hardware, then it's a fresh install and not an upgrade anyway.

either way this scenario is highly unlikely..

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 02:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Wildmanimal

no, it simply can not be done period

imvho a lot of people, especially XP holdovers, were tricked into electronically upgrading thinking its a cheap way to go 64 bit but its a dead end

edit on 8-11-2012 by reject because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 03:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by homeslice

Throw away the mac, and install linux on a pc.

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 04:25 AM
link   
No 32 bit os is upgradeable to 64x

Never has been.

Couldn't even use profile migrations from 32x to 64x till recently

I've been using win8 for a year now.. since rc 1
On an ep121 slate pc it's amazing.
On a desktop it's pretty good. Win7 plus apps

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 08:07 AM
link   
reply to post by reject

No new news here ,you have never been able to upgrade a 32 bit architecture to a 64 bit architecture. Its been that way since the first version of 64 bit XP came out. You can do a complete wipe of the 32 bit system and install a 64 bit version if you have a 64 bit processor but there is no direct upgrade route across the different architectures.

You could transfer all your account info (account name , profile, desktop , passwords ,windows vault, explorer settings, favorites and program settings etc ) using Microsoft's Windows Easy Transfer (WET) or the User State Migration Tool (USMT) from a 32bit to a 64bit (if you have a 64 bit processor) but you would have to reinstall all the new programs on your new 64bit system once its installed first.

WET is part of windows 7 and the USMT is a free program that comes with Windows Automated Installation Kit (AIK) which is a free download from Microsoft's website.

Either way upgrade adviser will only upgrade the current architecture.

edit on 8-11-2012 by PhoenixOD because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 05:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by PhoenixOD
reply to post by reject

You can do a complete wipe of the 32 bit system and install a 64 bit version if you have a 64 bit processor but there is no direct upgrade route across the different architectures
No, you can't; not with the $39.99 windows 8 upgrade.

Microsoft decided to be impish this time for some reason.

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 05:44 PM
link   
Why would you install a 64Bit version if you don't have 64bit hardware?

Seems a bit nonsensical to me, perhaps I misread.

As for Windows 8, it's not going to fail.

The Metro Language of programming is actually receiving stellar reviews and the platform is being adopted by MANY websites in HTLM5/CSS3 type deals.

So, yeah, the windows platform as we know it for PC's may failt, but the actuall program language will be as popular as android in a year or two.

~Tenth

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 05:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by reject

Originally posted by PhoenixOD
reply to post by reject

You can do a complete wipe of the 32 bit system and install a 64 bit version if you have a 64 bit processor but there is no direct upgrade route across the different architectures
No, you can't; not with the $39.99 windows 8 upgrade.

Microsoft decided to be impish this time for some reason.

You miss understand me, i was not suggesting you can do that with the anytime upgrade. What i meant is that you can take the settings profiles and desktop from a 32 bit system using the WET or USMT , save them off and then wipe out your old 32 bit system and then buy a full 64bit version of windows 8, then install all your programs on the new system and then reinstate your old settings , desktop and profile etc using the WET or USMT.

You can move user accounts and profiles across architectures. But like i have stated you there is no upgrade paths across architectures. Anytime upgrade is as its name implies ..an upgrade, not a full installation of windows.

edit on 8-11-2012 by PhoenixOD because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 05:47 PM
link   

Lol

Yeah if you like paying ridiculous prices for sub standard hardware and software, only to be told it can't actually buy MAC parts anywhere but from MAC, which again are overpriced and substandard than sure, go ahead and by a Mac.

I won't EVER buy a piece a hardware that I cannot fix or alter myself. You'd have to be an idiot. That's like buying a car that you can't go out and have fixd yourself.

The only reason there are no headaches with Mac's is because they don't do very much and Apple has a consistent track record of developping crap. The only reason they are successfull still today are due to Iphones, Ipod's and some hipster marketing.

~Tenth

new topics

top topics

join