This interwebz photo put me over the edge! Anger Rising!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 09:09 PM
link   
So I was sitting here drinking my beer looking at funny pictures when this photo came up.

I know that the "training" starts early in the brainwashed world we live in but come on! Is this how toy companies sees their target consumer? Hey instead of making toys that help children learn and improve skills and imagination lets make a Washing Machine for the girls and a BBQ (with fake burgers and hotdogs) for the boys, really??? I am glad I never bought such sexist toys for my kid, he had Rubix cubes, puzzles and endless crayons!

Do parents even think about what they are teaching their children when buy these mindless toys? I even heard of a plastic iPhone for children. They are training the next generation of consumers and making it blatantly obvious, at least to me, I hope to others as well!

Children up to the age of five can find it difficult to distinguish between the main program and commercial breaks. This is particularly so when a toy range is linked to a television series they are watching. Many children do not understand the intentions of marketing and commercials until the age of eight [1]. Media literacy programmes such as Media Smart are being used to help children understand and think critically about advertising

Wiki

Thoughts on advertising to young children?

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 09:17 PM
link   
Geez, if we had washing machines and grills to play with way back when it would have been amazing. But no, we had dolls and sling shots.

I think we turned out fine...

Edit: I turned out fine
edit on 7-11-2012 by iamhobo because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 09:23 PM
link   
reply to post by iamhobo

what did we have? I'm 32 years young I remember blocks, lego, a stick..? lol.

Turned out fine? you are on a conspiracy site..?
edit on 7-11-2012 by Aquarius2150 because: meh

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 09:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Aquarius2150

Did you not have toy soldiers and hot wheels? Your sister a doll? Sure train your kids for the real world. What's the problem?

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 09:28 PM
link   
I do not believe in toys discriminating gender roles the way they "ought" to be, but why see the toys as that way? I know it says "sweet girl" on it, but if your little boy wants the pink washing machine, then get him the pink washing machine. The same as if the girl wants the play barbeque set, get her that. It puts me to mind of my social psychology professor from last year that absolutely hates gender roles. He makes sure that his boys at home help with housework and it's the responsibility of everyone and not just their mother. He also lets them play with whatever they want however they want. If they want the pink vacuum toy or a barbie set, he would go out and get it for them.

It's up to the parents really to help their children differentiate between all of this mish mash. I remember whenever I was a tot, they had commercials for McDonalds toys and you could either get the doll or a car and ramp and I wanted that car and ramp so bad and my mother and grandmother always asked "Well, why don't you get the doll?
" . No. My mother and the rest of my relatives learned quickly that there was a no dolls gift policy for me growing up, lol. Any dolls received would not be played with and I resented every single one of them.

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 09:32 PM
link   

If you didn't like the pink washing machine, you're gonna hate this, the Barbie Laundromat!

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 09:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Myomistress

Fully agree! its up to the parents they make the child into an awesome adult. Its the parents who are too.. lets say 'old school' that they won't buy the boy a washing machine or the girl who wants the nerf gun. Toys should just be that, toys no gender label on them. Just go out side and play!

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 09:35 PM
link   
reply to post by windword

I got in trouble for taking barbie heads off my sisters barbie's

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 09:42 PM
link   
But what about direct TV ads to children? should that be aloud? I think it shouldn't. All kids shows shouldn't have loud fast moving ads about the latest hot wheels or whatever. They know kids will watch wide eyed then ask the parents they want it for Christmas its the "MUST HAVE" toy of the year.

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 09:44 PM
link   
As a Teacher I am constantly hearing - why can't school be more interesting. It is because this thread is the epitome of where education starts. Divide the Children up as early as possible with what is expected behaviour and start the conditioning early.

The featured toys and more are available and what's more parents buy them - so where is the problem? If a manufacturer makes a product no one will buy - then - they will stop making that product. So we have to ask ourselves is the problem the product and what it represents - or - is it the parent/relative/friend who supports the issue of sexism by purchasing the product??

Personally, I had dolls and for awhile I liked matchbox cars but nothing like coloured pencils and paper to let a Child explore their creativity and for expression. Books - I had beautiful books and I loved nothing more than climbing a tree and playing in the dirt.

Much Peace...

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 09:45 PM
link   

As long as you were not in the basement trying to transplant the barbie head onto something else!!! Or perhaps you were trying to transplant a different head onto the body of the barbie...LOL

Much Peace...

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 09:55 PM
link   
washing machines and grills better tban all the toy guns .. swords.. grenades and other implements of death and destruction children are given to play with.... but guess its ok for them to learn early how to kill so theycan go be the next government / corporate killers for profit around the world....

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 09:55 PM
link   
Little girls get easy bake ovens and dolls

Little boys get legos and fake tool kits

And people wonder why there are less women in the engineering and science fields?

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 09:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Amanda5

No not evil toy story kid style lol.

I would bow at your feet if I could, teachers are my favorite people. IMO I think celebrities pay should be switched with teaches pay. I want the person who is educating my child to be paid very very well.

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 10:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Trustfund

I really 'Laughed out Loud' at that. Gender specific toys are the problem I think.

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 10:04 PM
link   

It's just one toy out of many, and in the USA there are a lot of toys for both young and old. Its called options and consumers love options so blame any parent, I guess, who decided to buy there kid this toy.

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 10:11 PM
link   
I have a 3 year old daughter and she has everything from a kitchen set with fake food to a Semi-Truck that she can put cars in the back and then go racing. One day she wants to wear a princess skirt and dance ballet, the next day she will be playing with race cars and trains. I don`t think that the pictures on the front of the boxes are going to prevent a boy who might want a washing machine from getting one or a little girl who would rather have a barbeque set change her mind.

The problem is when the adults buy into it and only allow their kids to play or dress gender specific. A child is going to choose what they want to do and how they want to be and that is where sexism comes in. When the adults in their life choose to force them into the role.

As a kid I played with Barbies, played house, did all those gender specific things that little girls should do. I am 27 years old now and I still can`t cook, I hate to clean and as far as being a mommy goes... well, no toy will ever prepare for something like that. No matter what gender that toy is for.

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 10:14 PM
link   
reply to post by TheSparrowSings

100% agree!
as for cooking I'm a male and am a Chef. Telling that to women is better than any pickup line lol.

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 11:11 PM
link   
There aint no damn way in hell I'm riding that sissy pink girls bike dad. No way in hell. You can take your sissy pink bike and stick it where the.. Oh wait, you just painted it black.

*zoooomm*

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 11:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aquarius2150
reply to post by TheSparrowSings

100% agree!
as for cooking I'm a male and am a Chef. Telling that to women is better than any pickup line lol.

"hey baby.. no offence, but you just know I cook better than you."

It didn't work when I tried it.

They're little kids man, they see dad on the bbq, mum doing the washing.. it's not quite illegal to think that way, traditionally that is how the family was viewed. And it's not a bad thing, it's just different to how it is now.

Can you imagine the looks of sheer surprise on little faces of little billy and betty on christmas morning, as they rip off the wrapping to their presents.

they each got 1 plank of untreated pine. The non-compromising all-encompassing sexually indifferent toy for all ages. You can build a one step set of steps. Climb a 1 step tree. Build your very own door - 59 other plank not included.

Why it's what we should have been doing since we first invented sex. sexually distancing gender roles so that the one size fits all agenda makes sure even fat fatty mc fattso has a chance in the skinniest man alive competition. It's only FAIR that boy should be playing with philosophy and pondering lifes little quirks, and that girls should be storming down embassies with books, god damn it, books!

What have we done..

ProBEER me please!

top topics

<<   2 >>

join