It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Voters Approve Same-sex Marriage for the First Time

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 12:46 AM
link   
I notice a lack of vitriol and hateful speech here. Normally when same sex marriage is allowed, people come from everywhere to attack it and vilify those responsible. Could the difference be that for once it was a fair vote that got this done, instead of a court or a legislature deciding the issue?

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 01:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by pngxp
yeah, this is great!

and next on the list of to do's is legalize pedophilia.

just like being born gay, pedophiles are born that way and they are people who should receive the exact same rights as every other human being!

hooray for social justice, lets see just how progressive we can get!

we wouldnt want to hurt a minority groups feelings after all right?

Pedophilia

The International Classification of Diseases (ICD) defines pedophilia as a "disorder of adult personality and behaviour" in which there is a sexual preference for children of prepubertal or early pubertal age.[6] According to the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM), it is a paraphilia in which a person has intense and recurrent sexual urges towards and fantasies about prepubescent children and on which feelings they have either acted or which cause distress or interpersonal difficulty.[1]

That has nothing to do with homosexual or heterosexual. That is pure depravity and deviance.

Stop confusing the two. It is marriage between two consenting adults in love.

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 01:24 AM
link   
It does affect us. ( To the poster who said it does not) ...

I believe in God. You may not, but I believe with all my soul that this country will be judged, for its acts against God.
You can flame me all you want, but it DOES affect me and many others. When God judges this nation, we all will feel the effects, so yes it bothers me greatly.

Ezekiel 2:7 - And thou shalt speak my words unto them, whether they will hear, or whether they will forbear: for they are most rebellious.

It breaks my heart that so many people think removing God from the public and demonizing those who do, is so popular. Hypocritical isn't it? You want Gay rites, etc out in public but you want Christians to keep to themselves and hide in a corner. Hmmmm.

I had to speak my mind.

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 04:21 AM
link   
reply to post by amatrine

And, that's why religious reasoning should be excised from government.

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 04:29 AM
link   
reply to post by TheAnarchist

I really couldn't care less about the marijuana issue. But i'm quite glad that people are beginning to understand that Feeling prejudice over someones sexual interests, something that those people shouldn't even be concerned about is a stupid idea. This is a step in the right direction

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 04:49 AM
link   

If your god judges a nation as if it is a person, your god is a moron.

For the record, I am technically against gay marriage. Not because I don't like gay people, but because I am against the whole principal of marriage as instituted by the government. You shouldn't be getting any perks for being married at all from the government. I can see a tax break for one child. After that, if you can afford more kids on your own, go for it. Or wait until the first one is grown up and no longer dependant.

For now, I support gay marriage grudgingly, because it is only right while there is still straight marriage.
edit on Thu, 08 Nov 2012 05:02:04 -0600 by TKDRL because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 06:57 AM
link   
I'm happy that more people are becoming accepting of basic human rights... It's ridiculous that this is something we have to vote on though.

I want so much more for humanity.

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 07:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by MonkeyFishFrog

(I wonder if the initiatives about MJ will affect board rules here about not discussing it)

No, they wont. I tried to make a post about it when I first heard and it was instantly removed. ATS is very strict on enforcing restrictions around about such topics.

Its kinda funny honestly considering how many other topics that are possibly hazardous to a childs mind, such as: Alcohol, cigarettes, condoning rioting, condoning assasination, murder, genocide, general fear mongering(can lead to suicide), racism, sexism, homophobia, etc....

But it is perfectly fine that this site allows those topics but we cant discuss a simple plant.

As for same sex marriage, should we really be proud that same sex marriage became legal in a couple places? I find it absolutely immoral that 40+ states banned same sex marriage. It should not even be open to a vote. Think about it, we voted on whether or not to take people's rights AWAY. It is no different than if we voted on whether or not to allow black and white people to wed. It is like we are still living in the early 1900's.

I have no sense of pride for this country at all, I am disgusted that we have any say in what others do with their love lives. Ask yourselves this, how much debate would have ensued about this topic if there was no religion?( especially since it rules the lives of over 70% of the people in this country)

This is madness and I can only hope that it will all be over soon. I think we all need to step back and realize how confused this topic has become when it is very simple. Should we really even allow a vote? Or should we stand up against this and say: "We are all human beings, and we are not going to take this anymore!". I see a big need for action, NOW!
edit on 8-11-2012 by Renegade2283 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 07:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Annee

Originally posted by Juggernog
reply to post by MonkeyFishFrog

Obama has nothing to do with it and cant force a state to recognize another states law.

He can if its Federal.

But it isnt federal, its state. soo...

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 08:15 AM
link   
this is total BS

why the hell is government involved with marriage in the first place. why does one need a marriage license from the government? has anyone been denied a "license" -not yet? has anyone's "license" been revoked?

as long as you are dumb enough to let the government limited our choices we will never be free

gay marriage, abortion, marijuana use, etc. the government has no authority.

its funny, the slaves are happy the master will let us love one another

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 08:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by amatrine

I believe in God. You may not, but I believe with all my soul that this country will be judged, for its acts against God.
You can flame me all you want, but it DOES affect me and many others. When God judges this nation, we all will feel the effects, so yes it bothers me greatly.

Ezekiel 2:7 - And thou shalt speak my words unto them, whether they will hear, or whether they will forbear: for they are most rebellious.

It breaks my heart that so many people think removing God from the public and demonizing those who do, is so popular. Hypocritical isn't it? You want Gay rites, etc out in public but you want Christians to keep to themselves and hide in a corner. Hmmmm.

God created us with free will so if we CHOOSE to obey him that is true love. If God gave us free will, how are you above him to deny free will to others? It does not say upon judgement day I will judge your nation. He say I will judge you!

how many account are there in the bible about a righteous man or woman in an evil nation? Nearly the entire bible has this theme.

I had to speak my mind.

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 08:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by MonkeyFishFrog
I was really excited for your country when I saw not only Obama elected but some of the social changes that you voted in. Especially same-sex marriage. I really think you guys are on your way of reclaiming some lost titles, of being champions again of social movements.

Plus I'm hoping now that the state bordering my province legalized MJ that we will follow suit soon too.

(I wonder if the initiatives about MJ will affect board rules here about not discussing it)

Exactly, America really is changing for the better.

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 09:15 AM
link   
reply to post by pngxp

There's one fatal flaw within your argument, mate. Your bigotry knows no bounds. Gay marriage has to do with sexual interaction and union between two consenting adults. I'm pretty sure that children cannot consent to sexual activity and so the connection you made is bogus. Nice try though, but you came off as nothing but offensive with no actual facts to back your opinion. Cheerio.

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 09:17 AM
link   

God judges all on an individual basis, it's not majority rule so it in turn does not affect you. You're too interested in what's going on in someone else's life versus your own. That's a fatal character flaw indeed. Also, not everyone believes in God as you stated.

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 02:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by MystikMushroom
This must be very worrysome and scary to very conservative/GOP/Republicans.

"The country is headed to hell in a handbasket!"

"We're loosing the country!"

Anyone care to guess what people were saying during the civil rights movement of the 60's?

"The country is headed to hell in a handbasket!"

"We're loosing the country!"

Man, that's what I've been saying for the longest time.

The folks who oppose gay marriage now, or think people should be carded on the street for the way they look are the same people who would have kept the black people in the back of the bus or kept the women from voting in the past. And if those super conservatives today just happen to be black or a woman, it just makes that even more of a hypocrite.

But in 30 years, when all these rights are viewed as what they are -- basic human rights, those who opposed it today may be too ashamed to admit to their grandchildren that they were the ones holding human rights back.

In the end, human rights will always prevail and we are left wondering how some people were even allowed to oppress so many.

Khar

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 02:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by amatrine

I had to speak my mind.

Christians in a corner? Why?

Because Jesus said - "go out and fight everyone, and make sure to chastise the sinners because none of you are one, and I want you to hate your neighbors?"

Highly doubt it... it always pains me to hear someone say they are Christian and yet I, a non-Christian, understand the teachings of Jesus better than they do.

If you followed the teachings and lived in His spirit, you would love thy neighbor and not look for verses, which were probably edited by criminals over the centuries, that promote hate.

But anyways, just my opinion. It just perplexes me that you feel allowing others human rights means you need to sit in a corner? How about you love those people instead of feeling like your house is crumbling. Since when has Christianity been about inequality?

Khar

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 03:11 PM
link   
I dont feel the need to sit in a corner. I am talking about all the Christian Bashing, and not allowing our right to pray in public etc. We are supposed to do that in our homes? At the same time gay agenda wants everything out in the open , taught as a lifestyle in the schools, etc.. Its a double standard.

I do know My God well, and his spirit resides with me . I do not hate anyone. I do not judge people, that is not for me to do, but I do know what is taught as rite from wrong, and for me not to speak up when I see that wrong, is a sin. I have spoke where I felt I need to speak. I know that all this happening was meant to happen , but we are still to speak. Weather anyone listens or not, is not up to me, nor is it required of me.

First it is Gay rights to marry, people said that will never happen, but as the years passed and it has been taught to our younger generation it has been accepted. Next, we will loose our guns. It starts off as talk, that is taught to younger generations, and next thing you know, that rite is gone. The constitution will be whittled away or become ignored . That has already started as well.

edit on 8-11-2012 by amatrine because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 03:20 PM
link   

Nobody said that your rights are to be oppressed as well. Go pray on the street if you want to, let people know you're religious outside of the home. It takes amity and courage to do so and nobody is going to come along and throw you in jail for it or anything. Also, the thing is, we don't NEED you to come along and tell us what's right and wrong by your own dogma. A dogma of one human being is not the dogma of another. No two people are alike and so no two people should have to follow the same two religious beliefs. That's not how things work. It's fine that you're a Christian and are proud of your faith, more power to you but please keep the basic human rights of others out of it. If by your God they're going to hell, well then let them go. Nobody needs you to come in and play the martyr card. It is not your job to save the immortal souls of anyone else on this planet but your own. Not all of us believe in Christianity or any religion at all and you need to respect that as I agree, we should show the religious folks some respect as well. You're all following faith and proud to say it and to have the courage to do so is just super.

Also, I would like to add: Guns are going nowhere. Is illegal? Do people still find it and use it? Was alcohol illegal during prohibition? Did people still make their own and consume it just the same? You betcha! Just because a government puts a law on something, it means nothing. The people that know how to work under the table still utilize the goods anyway and so no freedoms of theirs have been taken away because they're obviously just overriding the law. Laws were made to be bent just a tad.
edit on 8-11-2012 by Myomistress because: Additional point

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 04:25 PM
link   

You just quoted the Old Testament. So, I must ask, do you eat pork, shellfish, rabbit? Are all of your clothes 100% cotton or wool? Do you (or your husband if you're a woman) shave? Do you socialize with women on their period? Do you take God's name in vain, or use profanity? Have you ever lied? Do you gossip?

If you have, you have broken Old Testament Law, and have sinned, making you no better than the gays?

Re-thinking what you want to pick and choose from the bible to use in same-sex marriage discussions yet?

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 10:17 PM
link   
Never said I was without sin. The new testament and the old testament work together. One does not cancel out the other. Anyway, I have spoken my peace. God did not destroy Sodom and Gomorrah because they ate pork.

Peace out.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join