It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

With the election over, can we on ATS return to civility and mutual respect?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 04:04 PM
link   
I agree wholeheartedly with the OP. I discovered this site about 6 months ago and have seen it's quality of posts slowly degrade as the US election looms closer and closer. It's not the end of the world if a D or an R that you didn't want gets elected. No president or anyone for that matter has the ability to take away my personal freedom of peace that has the potential to thrive in everyone's minds. Try not to get to uptight about it. 8 years democrat, then 8 years republican, the whole cycle then starts over. Is it really that surprising? The best way to combat what you see externally is to sustain yourself with peace internally. If you are not at peace with yourself, you will never be at peace with others.

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 04:08 PM
link   
reply to post by AceWombat04

Hopefully, but not likely. This is ATS where the mindset is highly conspiratorial and right wing leaning.

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 04:20 PM
link   
I'm amazed that there are so many users on a conspiracy website that still get completely suckered into the whole left/right democrat/republican political football game, and even pump out the same sewer stream rhetoric as the shills on FOX and CNN with a straight face

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 04:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Konduit

iknowright. I come here to get away from that stuff.

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 05:12 PM
link   
I think it's about time we get the Ron Paul 2016 threads going. I'm sure they are going to be civil and popular especially after the Bush tax cuts expire, and folks start to realize how meager or lacking the April 2014 tax return checks are going to be.

Ron Paul 2016

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 05:44 PM
link   
I logged in just to flag this and star you. Is it likely? Who knows, but I appreciate the sentiment for sure and think everything you say in the OP is bang on.

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 05:53 PM
link   
If ATS members understood that they have no say in who becomes president, nor does it matter, then perhaps they wouldn't get so upset. It is all theater, theater of the macabre.

'God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
The courage to change the things I can,
And the wisdom to know the difference.'

-Reinhold Niebuhr

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 06:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer

Originally posted by RottenBeauty
reply to post by ldyserenity

100% correct.

If you try to argue too much with some well known conservative posters though and the mods are all over you.
Now that's a conspiracy.

As a conservative poster, I have to disagree. I've had many debates and have kept things civil while my opponent dwelved into name-calling and violtions to T&C. On the occasions where I have made errors in judgement, the mods have "reminded" me of the same rules.

I think the mods have had a herculean job to do lately, but have acted admirably.

Yes. Beezzer is one of the nicer ones but it is true that some get away with bad comments while others slip once in awhile and MODS are attacking them immediately and that's just an observation.

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 06:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by muzzleflash
Return? Hehe

Have any evidence proving it was ever like that to begin with?

/Sarcasm

I hate when you do that muzzle... say exactly what (Or similar to) what I was going to say!

ATS has always been like that. Its just more intense during the election season, but goes back to normal but will never vanish. maybe on other sites the bickering will cease to exist, but here it will always be like that. Magnified due to election season or just normal everyday ATS politics.

in other words, there is no normalcy here, just ATS... and Bacon.

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 06:44 PM
link   
MCCAIN 2016!
BOOYA BEECHES!

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 06:48 PM
link   
reply to post by tehdouglas

RON PAUL 2016!!! But seriously I am sick of all the playground shenanigans. It's bad enough they try to create a divide and it's worse the poor sheeple fall right into it.

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 06:55 PM
link   
With respect...

edit on 11/8/2012 by ~Lucidity because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 07:02 PM
link   
reply to post by ~Lucidity

I have always loved that song.

You are all probably right. But what can I say? I am a dreamer, after all.

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 07:28 PM
link   

...dream until your dreams come true!

I'm a dreamer too...but a pragmatic one at times.

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 07:42 PM
link   
um...with all due mutual respect, NO!

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 07:43 PM
link   
Can we be civil to each other now?

Hell no. I'm just getting started.
I have tried to be politically correct for too long.

That don't mean I can't be friendly. I am just not going to sit back and be quiet while my country gets destroyed, no matter which party is doing it, i.e., Obamabots or Robocons.

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 08:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Nite_wing

I'm not suggesting anyone should censor themselves for purposes of political correctness. By all means, people should always say what's on their minds imo. I'm just suggesting the possibility of self-moderating exactly that - what's on our minds - such that we can learn to express our views without insulting one another. There are a lot of words in the English language, and a lot of ways to put them together. I just think that, surely, there must be a way to not hold back in one's strong, passionate opinions, thoughts, and feelings, etc. without outright insulting the person one is communicating with.

For me, it's a long walk from "I disagree with you, I think (even know in cases when you feel there's proof) you're wrong, and I think your beliefs are detrimental to me and others," to, "therefore you're an idiot and I hate you, and you should leave the country." Know what I mean?

I'm not talking about being PC. I'm talking about the potential for people to genuinely - not disingenuously or out of fear of being seen as un-PC - changing their attitudes and humanity toward one another. If people don't believe in that.. that's their prerogative. I'm just suggesting it, and asking.

Peace.

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 09:24 PM
link   

ATS Political Madness started in 2008 because of Obama's secret history and suspicion he is CIA agent,etc..
He has a press conference once a year rate.
What you really want is for us to go asleep, but don't count it...

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 09:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Granite

The last thing I want is for anyone to go to sleep. Can you elaborate on why you think that? You may be misinterpreting the intent and spirit of my words, possibly. I am not an Obama supporter. Peace.

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 09:52 PM
link   
While I agree, I don't remember an ATS where civility and respect was the norm. Its not just the political threads as of late but every thread you go to now, all you see are flame wars and disrespect.

Not sure if that's ever going to change....well on ATS at least.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join