It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

With the election over, can we on ATS return to civility and mutual respect?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 02:39 AM
link   
Well, judging from the threads I am subscribed to, today isn't the day either.

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 04:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by ldyserenity
Apparently not as you can see by this post here

Originally posted by MaurinQuina
Wow, really it does not take rocket science, to understand many corporations, and small companies are going to have layoffs
is it really that hard to understand? We re-elected a liberal who is going to let the bush tax cuts expire, and raise income taxes on the so called rich
aka business owner, because people are to dumb and stupid to realize the RICH do not work!!!!! Obviously none of this matters to the dumb jackass's that re-elected a liberal, most of these idiots that voted for Obama, are under 30 years old and have no damn idea who they are how the World works, or economics for that matter..

freaking morons man... Yea their are going to be layoffs due to Obama, idealogy whatever idiot argues that case is a jackass..

edit on 7-11-2012 by MaurinQuina because: (no reason given)

And apparently they can get away with it as long as bashing a liberal. I reported it the post is still up and I think ATS is just getting too Much like a high school, with their little clicks and may jsut leave this is blatant favorism.
ATS is getting too much like Stormfront. When I started to lurk here in '05, ATS was nothing like this.

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 08:29 AM
link   
See my rant Is the nation to divided to ever heal.

I think that intolerance of other's viewpoints/ morals/ ideals has become too deeply entrenched in our society and is encourage my the main stream media and hollywood/music types and unfortunately politicians.

We are doomed as a nation as long as intolerance (and I'm talking BOTH sides) reigns. Both sides are bigoted and deeply entrenched in intolerance against the other side. It may never happen in our lifetime that the nation becomes one again. As long as that is the case incivility will reign everywhere.

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 12:27 PM
link   
reply to post by AceWombat04

Can we at last find it within ourselves to calmly and respectfully articulate our differences, hold some modicum of respect and empathy for one another, and communicate?

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 01:52 PM
link   

With the election over, can we on ATS return to civility and mutual respect?

Oh, well, you must be a new member, welcome to ATS where it's impossible to discuss any topic without ad hominem attacks and political trolling, regardless of forum area and topic.

Short answer? No, it's impossible to return to a state that never existed in the first place.

BUT... we could all work together to try to get there. and hell, it might even be fun! i'm in.

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 02:15 PM
link   
In response I'd just like to say that my honest answer is "No."
We cannot return "respect "because it was never there in the first place.
Both sides did and said what they meant and now everybody wants to pretend we are all chummy and buddies again? Why?
What true progress would that bring?
I already know what people think of me.
Why do I want to pretend otherwise.
They already know what I think of them.
They won't forget it either.
So what do we accomplish?
Lies.

Courtesy is always extended.
Respect is only earned.
I won't demand respect from anyone.
I will earn it or not.
I respect people because of what they do.
Not because of what they want.

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 02:27 PM
link   
I agree. It seems that this election has brought the worse out of people. Not sure if it's just because of the situation that we the people find ourselves in or the weather =)

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 02:34 PM
link   
If ATS had nothing but scrapbooking, basket weaving and pottery threads, people would find bloodlust in the debate on different weave patterns or the type of glue used or European versus North American clay.

Tis the nature of the beast. Biut like others have already stated, civility can be something to strive towards.

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 02:43 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

Dear beezzer,

You know of my deep respect for you, and it must be challenging to have to use that avatar, but what in the world?
It must be my mind going. Help.

If I read you correctly, civility is impossible, won't happen, but we should try for it? Why not just accept that it's inevitable and run screeching from the forums when one can't accept it any more?

(European clay, it's from older formations and has more tensile strength. (Actually, I made that up. (Woo-hoo, triple nested parentheses!)))

With respect,
Charles1952

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 02:46 PM
link   

The way people communicate has changed over the years.

I do my best to accept ATS good, bad and ugly.

Humanity is polarized and excited.

We're in the collider these days.

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 02:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by charles1952
reply to post by beezzer

Dear beezzer,

You know of my deep respect for you, and it must be challenging to have to use that avatar, but what in the world?
It must be my mind going. Help.

I lost a bet. Honour must be acknowleged.

If I read you correctly, civility is impossible, won't happen, but we should try for it? Why not just accept that it's inevitable and run screeching from the forums when one can't accept it any more?

You sir, are a perfect example of civility. (Humble bow towards you)
If more of us adopted your appoach then we might just obtain that civil level.

(European clay, it's from older formations and has more tensile strength. (Actually, I made that up. (Woo-hoo, triple nested parentheses!)))

With respect,
Charles1952

Merican clay! USAUSAUS-. . . . oops. See? Still have a ways to go.

We must all, lead by example.
edit on 8-11-2012 by beezzer because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 02:54 PM
link   
reply to post by badgerprints

I do not believe that a lack of hostility is inherent disingenuous. Nor do I believe that previous acts preclude the possibility of genuinely turning over a new leaf, or making an earnest effort to do so at least. Passionate disagreement, and even deadlock, are expected and natural in my opinion. But surely ad hominem attacks can be curtailed and some semblance of empathy might be achieved? "I comprehend what you're saying, but I just can't agree. I profoundly disagree, and here is why I think I'm right." Rather than lobbing insults at one another.

I'm not talking about laying back and not asserting strong viewpoints. As you say, that is how progress and change are affected (when possible at all.) I'm talking about everyone trying to take the proverbial high road. Not by pretending to, but by actually caring enough to do it. Genuinely. Honestly. Even if that means a stark departure from previous deeds and words.

I believe we are capable of this, if we will it so. The lack of the will to do so, in my opinion, is the problem, and the reason why some might merely pretend to be civil. But I'm talking about genuine civility and good will, even where we strongly disagree. i.e. we can even go so far as to say "I think the direction you think we should go in is the absolute wrong one, and will hurt us, and here's why," but adding, "but I don't hate you and want you to die, and I don't see you as sub-human." Etc. Because that's the level of vitriol I've seen it come to lately.

Peace.
edit on 11/8/2012 by AceWombat04 because: Elaboration

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 02:55 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

You want clay? Come get it here, lots of clay in the soil up here

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 02:55 PM
link   

Yes, let's go back to poking fun at UFO's and Chemtrails instead of politics.

OK, just kidding, UFO's might be real.

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 02:58 PM
link   
Until we can agree that facts are indeed facts and not one sides opinion, I don't have high hopes for civility.

Judging by this thread, it doesn't look like anytime soon.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 03:01 PM
link   
reply to post by xedocodex

I know what you mean, but in my opinion we have a choice when confronted with fact versus opinion scenarios. It goes to what I expressed earlier in the topic:

I also know there are times when it arguably goes beyond opinion, too. The old saying goes, "Everyone has the right to their own opinions, but not their own facts." But the thing is... people will anyway. We cannot force someone to accept what we think reality is. It just can't be done. The most we can do is offer what we feel is compelling evidence or a compelling argument, and then respectfully bow out, or continue calmly, rationally communicating our point of view, in my opinion. If we're right, hopefully the truth will become self evident. If it doesn't, then perhaps we should be humble enough to consider that we might be wrong. And if it does but people simply will not accept it... then that is ultimately their prerogative whether we like it or not.

If you know nothing is to be gained other than generating hostility and ill will by attacking, my feeling is, why do it? Does this really do anything to bolster the argument? Not in my opinion. It just creates further obstacles to communication and reason in my view.

We can fully assert that facts are facts and that ignoring them is wrong. But can't we do that without attacking a person, calling them stupid, etc.? If the facts are facts, then that will be self-evident and irrefutable, but if people still disagree... what is gained by attacking them and being hostile? Just my two cents. Peace.

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 03:08 PM
link   
reply to post by ldyserenity

100% correct.

If you try to argue too much with some well known conservative posters though and the mods are all over you.
Now that's a conspiracy.

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 03:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by RottenBeauty
reply to post by ldyserenity

100% correct.

If you try to argue too much with some well known conservative posters though and the mods are all over you.
Now that's a conspiracy.

As a conservative poster, I have to disagree. I've had many debates and have kept things civil while my opponent dwelved into name-calling and violtions to T&C. On the occasions where I have made errors in judgement, the mods have "reminded" me of the same rules.

I think the mods have had a herculean job to do lately, but have acted admirably.

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 03:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer
If ATS had nothing but scrapbooking, basket weaving and pottery threads, people would find bloodlust in the debate on different weave patterns or the type of glue used or European versus North American clay.

Tis the nature of the beast. Biut like others have already stated, civility can be something to strive towards.

Oh so now you wanna argue about clay bunny??? That's my wheelhouse.... Let's dance.

Re: Uncivil conduct. Alert it please. We ( the staff ) are more outnumbered than Custer and we rely upon the members to be our eyes and ears. If anyone gets insulting - click and watch.... We got this.

~Heff

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 03:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hefficide

Originally posted by beezzer

Oh so now you wanna argue about clay bunny??? That's my wheelhouse.... Let's dance.

Re: Uncivil conduct. Alert it please. We ( the staff ) are more outnumbered than Custer and we rely upon the members to be our eyes and ears. If anyone gets insulting - click and watch.... We got this.

~Heff

Just don't mock my weave patterns!

(finger on the ALERT BUTTON)

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join