It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A record 20 women to take seats in the new U.S. Senate, CNN projects.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 02:50 PM
link   

Exactly two decades after the 1992 presidential election, sometimes called the “year of the woman” or “year of the women”, the American people have made history by electing a record number of female candidates to the nation’s upper legislative chamber. Nearly all of them are Democrats.

Voters enthusiastically reelected Senators Maria Cantwell of Washington, Kristen Gillibrand of New York, Claire McCaskill of Missouri, Debbie Stabenow of Michigan, Amy Klobuchar of Minnesota, and Dianne Feinstein of California.

Joining them in 2013 will be new group of Democratic women: Elizabeth Warren of Massachusetts, Mazie Hirono of Hawaii, Tammy Baldwin of Wisconsin, and Heidi Heitkamp of North Dakota.

We are still a ways away from having a Congress that looks like the United States of America, and does the public’s business in public. But as of this January, for the first time, one fifth of the members of the U.S. Senate will be women.

That’s an important milestone for our democracy.

www.cnn.com...
www.nwprogressive.org...

Well it always nice to see social progression and the equaling of playing fields. Maybe one day women will receive equal pay as well.

This may well pave the path for a female president.

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 02:54 PM
link   
Well, since women are typically huge Obama voters, what's the big deal?

2nd line

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 02:57 PM
link   
reply to post by MRuss

Relevance to topic?

It is a big deal because historically women were never allowed or elected to power positions.

It is a sign of societal progression.

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 02:58 PM
link   
Typical liberal BS. I want the most qualified people there. I couldn't care what gender, race, age, religion, etc. The thought that there has to be some quote of a specific stereotype is just hooey.

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 03:01 PM
link   
reply to post by jjkenobi

Could you please tell me what is liberal BS?

Pointing out that a record amount of women were elected into power positions? That's a fact not BS.

I want the most qualified people there.

This is why we have elections.

edit on 7-11-2012 by Trustfund because: (no reason given)

top topics

join