It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Think Tank suggests we stick it to our soldiers with benifits cuts to cut military spending.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 02:39 PM
link   
Sounds like typical corporate thinking to me; stick it to the workers to lower costs and sit back and reap in the benifits while your workers barely scrape by.

I guess the idea of ending stupid wars, closing overseas bases or not always having to have the most advanced weaponry in the world and spending more than the rest of the whole world on bombs and weapons never even crossed their minds. Nah, easier to put the whole burden of the cuts on the shoulders of the soldiers who do the killing and the dying for this country. Makes perfect sense.

Think tank recommends big benefits cuts

Capping pay raises, the report says, could save $16.5 billion over the next five years. Reducing retiree health care benefits, through a combination of restricting care and raising fees, could save $15 billion a year. Reforming military retired pay could save, in the short term, up to $13 billion a year, and over time could save up to $70 billion a year off the current plan.

Similarly, the report endorses many of the Defense Department’s proposals for cutting health care costs by raising fees, mostly on retirees and their families. But the report goes a step further: “To truly restore the Tricare program to stable financial footing, the Defense Department should enact measures to reduce the overutilization of medical services and limit double coverage of working-age military retirees,” the report says.

The report also recommends modifying military retirement benefits. For anyone currently in the military with fewer than 10 years of service, benefits could be cut: Instead of receiving 50 percent of basic pay after 20 years of service, with immediate benefits, the report says the benefits would be 40 percent of base pay with payments not beginning until age 60.

Air Force Times

Do these people even know how military people think? When I was in, one of the greatest benifits of service and one of the biggest draws for re-enlistment was the ability to retire after just 20 years with full benifits. Imagine being able to retire at 38, collect a military paycheck and only have to work part time at some civilian job. Without that promise to our military, what draw does long term service have anymore?

Its bad enough that, today, enlistment almost ensures deployment to some God forsaken country where everyone wants to kill you. If they take away some of the core, most loved benifits of military service and start pinching pennies where soldiers benifits are concerned, they're gonna have a hell of a time finding new soldiers.

"A man good enough to shed his blood for his country, is good enough to receive a square deal afterwards . . ."
-- Theodore Roosevelt

"The willingness with which our young people are likely to serve in any war, no matter how justified, shall be directly proportional to how they perceive veterans of early wars were treated and appreciated by our nation."
- George Washington

Source

edit on 11/7/12 by FortAnthem because:

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 02:42 PM
link   
The easiest way to cut costs is what you mentioned.

Is it right? Absolutely not. But what is right is no longer relevant... what is relevant is how those cuts are implemented. Will there be servicemembers who are 'grandfathered' in because of seniority of service, or will the cuts be across the board?

Being a veteran, I hate to see this for all of my military brothers and sisters.

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 02:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Dreine

The easiest way to cut spending would be to end the wars and bring our boys and girls home where they belong. Maybe they should try, oh I don't know, maybe NOT going to war with every country that just MIGHT be a threat to us at some uncertain time in the future and try living in peace with the rest of the world for just a little while.

Imagine how much money that would save. You don't have to always stick it to the workers to cut spending. Unfortunately, that is the way major corporations always look to save money anymore. No loyalty to the workers so, why should we show any loyalty to our soldiers?

I'm sorry but, the military is NOT a corporation and its veterans should not be treated like some outsourced employees who are no longer of use to the company.

edit on 11/7/12 by FortAnthem because:
_________ extra DIV

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 02:47 PM
link   
Can you really justify a 700 billion dollar defense budget?
That is more than the rest of the worlds military budgets combined

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 02:53 PM
link   
I agree that military spending should be retasked. The US should cut millions from the budget for the manufacture of weapons and apply it to benefits and pay for our military men and women and their families.

I also believe the VA system should be upgraded and the hospitals and other facilities should be renovated.

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 02:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Juggernog
Can you really justify a 700 billion dollar defense budget?
That is more than the rest of the worlds military budgets combined

Absolutely, lets cut military spending but, lets cut it by not buying billion dollar jet fighters or new bases in the countries we've occupied. How about we get out of the war business for a few years and see how much in savings that nets us?

There are plenty of areas they can cut in military spending. Taking them out on the soldiers first should not be one of them. Cutting soldier's benifits should only come after everything else is cut first and then only with a heavy heart. To read this proposal, it seems they looked at cutting soldiers benifits as the first order of business.

God help us if the military industrial complex should lose out on it's cut of the American pie.

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 02:57 PM
link   
Fort, I completely agree that the way it should be done is to close the bases down, end the illegal wars, and get rid of wasteful programs that amount to nothing more than pork barrel projects.

But knowing how our Congress thinks, they will go after the 'easiest' targets. The honest, hard-working, and loyal military man and woman.

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 03:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dreine

But knowing how our Congress thinks, they will go after the 'easiest' targets. The honest, hard-working, and loyal military man and woman.

Yep, cause going after the scumbags who make a fortune off our wars would require them to grow a backbone. They can't bite the hand that feeds them after all.

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 03:03 PM
link   
reply to post by FortAnthem

Yea, a lot of money goes to R&D as well, then after that, the production of whatever they were R&D'n

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 03:08 PM
link   
Well this could have the effect of reducing our troop strength and making it so we have to withdraw from some of these countries.

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 04:14 PM
link   
I don't make that much. Benefits are good. But we have contractors that waste money like its going out of style. I say start there.

top topics

join