It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

So what if your President is a Young Black, Muslim, Lesbian with a Transgender wife!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 02:34 PM
link   
For the most part I have been keeping out of debate’s about the American election, but the other day I thought occurred to me while reading through these thread; people are so intolerant when it comes to their leaders. Now to be clear right from the start, I don’t think this is just Americans, in the UK I think we are guilty of the same intolerance but since Americans have just gone to the poles you are probably in the best frame of mind to answer me this

Why does it matter if a presidential candidate is a Young Black, Lesbian, Muslim with a Transgender wife?

I mean surly it should be policies that matter and not the individuals sexual preference, religion or race. Many will of course deny that this is a issue but deep down inside we all know no matter how good of a politician somebody is, they are only as good as they fit into our social norms. Most would probably feel safest with an old white guy married with 3 kids who goes to church every day rather than say a Muslim leader.

To me it just seem so absurd in our concepts of 21st century diversity and progressiveness that we seem to through all that out the window when it comes to voting for our leaders. So I propose the question:

WHY?

Why would it matter if your president was MUSLIM?

Why would it matter if SHE was GAY?

What would it matter if HE was really a SHE?

Why would it matter if HE (or is that a she) was Hispanic?

edit on 7-11-2012 by OtherSideOfTheCoin because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 02:37 PM
link   
He's a Robotoid anyway

No but seriously - He's one of "Them" we should pick him apart and annihilate him

edit on 7-11-2012 by Sinny because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 02:38 PM
link   
reply to post by OtherSideOfTheCoin

For the most part I have been keeping out of debate’s about the American election

So you believe people voted for Obama just because of his skin color and not for his ideals? well that's exactly what has happened...why do you think nobody noticed Ron Paul?

Obama vs a White Christian Man, of course Obama was going to win in this new American era
edit on 7-11-2012 by BacknTime because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 02:41 PM
link   
I will admit to trying to be slightly light hearted with this thread, I know how the topics of homosexuality and race can stir people on ATS but really I want to know what people think about this.

Who cares if you president is a bisexual transgender Asian, so long as the policies are all good in our society this should not matter so why is it so obvious that it does.

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 02:43 PM
link   
reply to post by BacknTime

No I do believe that people still think of polices as being important but it did seem to me when I was reading a lot of threads and other stuff online and in the media that these things where important to voters.

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 02:44 PM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

I have no idea what you're asking. He was just reelected. What are you looking for, a unanimous victory?

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 02:46 PM
link   
I spoke to a friend that voted for O. She basically said she voted for him out of emotion for the non issues

I dont think I should have to explain what those are...

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 02:47 PM
link   
reply to post by yeahright

I am very clear in what I am asking

Why is it that for example America, or any western state really for that matter would be so opposed to say having a Muslim President or a homosexual president.

link   

i wish that were true for the Majority of voters
edit on 7-11-2012 by BacknTime because: (no reason given)

link   
What?
You mean he is not?

I've seen a few pictures of the Mrs and I could swear there is a certain protuberance about her.

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 02:48 PM
link   

Great question! I see your humor, but it really is a valid question. How would any of those things affect his ability as president?

As long as he shows decisive and resolute leadership, and as long as he respects the ultimate authority of the Constitution, and as long as he makes every attempt to honor his campaign promises and stay transparent and forthright with his words and actions, than all of those other things make no difference whatsoever.

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 02:49 PM
link   
reply to post by LeoStarchild

that's exactly what i have been saying, most of the people that voted was from emotion, they did not even care to read the policies. and this is true for the Majority of American voters

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 02:49 PM
link   
Totally feeling what you're saying. I saw a speech from Obama while he was on the presidential trail last week and as an outsider I was disturbed by how little genuinely thoughtful, meaningful statements he made that had actual real substance.

It was 90% showboating, 9% meaningless motivational phrases "We're strong! ra ra ra! America, f* yeah! woohoo! Imma give everyone free chicken wings! heehaw!", and 1% of actual intellectual thought ("We need to fix the budget and we'll do this by doing X, Y and Z."). It was almost like everyone thought they were voting for the winner of "Americas Got Talent" instead of the next leader of the worlds current superpower.

Then there was the whole nitpicking over divorce cases, the inevitable race-card etc which in all honesty has absolutely zero to do with running a country or your ability to be a politician... looking forward to another 4years of "business as usual" while the world goes down the gurgler

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 02:50 PM
link   
reply to post by darkhorserider

Thank you!

Glad to see someone understands what I am trying to ask.

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 02:50 PM
link   

The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

I don't know that one's ever run for President. Any conjecture you have is anecdotal. Show me a qualified muslim or homosexual who's made the attempt. The disdain I have for Barney Frank (for example) has nothing to do with his sexual preference.

This is a "are you still beating your wife?" question. I think the premise is invalid.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 02:51 PM
link   
reply to post by LordGoofus

It was almost like everyone thought they were voting for the winner of "Americas Got Talent"

sadly thats true

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 02:56 PM
link   

Because it's easily smearable. I guess a part of it is self-censorship ("We can't put up that person, the religous nuts will tear it apart.")
But it works less and less. Last night the first openly lesbian senator was elected.
And there is also her:
en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 02:56 PM
link   
reply to post by yeahright

I think you are totally missing the premise of my question so I will try to rephrase it, I have also altered to OP slightly to make it clearer

But

Think about all the talk 4 years ago about Obama being a Muslim the shouts of “his middle name is Hussein”

What I am asking is why does that matter, for any president republican or democrat, if he is Muslim or has a Islamic sounding middle name.

Likewise why would it matter if he was Gay

this is nothing about beating wifes, or husbands, or husbands who want to be wifes

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 02:59 PM
link   

Because people are stupid enough to listen to and believe Fox News, the originator of this whole controversy (whether it is true or not doesn't matter). A black, Muslim president is taboo, yet a Mormon (I clarify this because a Mormon isn't the same as a Christian) white guy is ok. Notice which candidate Fox News supports and which one they don't.

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 02:59 PM
link   

Actually, you've kind of emphasized the transgender part, and that would be a problem with me. If he/she was born transgendered, then fine, but if they chose to change sexes at some point in their life, that would be a deal breaker for me. It goes back to the resolute and decisiveness that is necessary in a leader. I wouldn't vote for anybody that had made that choice rather than stick it out with the cards they were dealt.

Religion, sexual orientation, choice of life-partner would make no difference to me, but previous decision-making is a huge indicator of future decision-making, so I would look at that as an indicator of their leadership ability.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join