It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Finally 20 posts. Been reading ATS for over a year now and I have to say this before I say anything

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 07:47 PM
link   
I wanted to reply individually to everyone but there is a lot to reply to, so I will sum up the reason behind this being my first thread.

Firstly, I have noticed in my lurking that usually, if a thread is started which concerns a topic that has already been discussed at length, people are usually quick to point that out and that is the end of it. It took way longer than usual in this case, and based on the responses contained herein, it seems that it is because I touched a nerve that clouded many peoples' judgments. All logic went out the door. The first reply should have pointed out that this topic has been discussed and argued over already. There was no need for a debate. Certain members felt the need to put me in my place, instead of taking the high ground that I think most members would usually take.

Second, as the title says, I have lurked for a long while. This means I am seeing avatars for the first time. I wanted to get a feel for some of the members of the board. I now have a feel for some of you.

I'd like to finish this up by saying again that my comments never stated that one who cannot spell is unintelligent, and it was never my intention to suggest anything like that. If anyone was hurt by anything I have said, I am truly very sorry for that.

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 07:53 PM
link   
reply to post by prostheticmind

And I told you that the 3rd post asked you why you made a thread about something that pops up all the time already..
I said that here..
www.abovetopsecret.com...

telling you to go comment on one of the thousands of other rants about spelling that seem to pop up on an hourly basis

Third post! pay attention

edit on 11/8/2012 by Juggernog because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 07:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Juggernog

And I told you that the 3rd post asked you why you made a thread about something that pops up all the time already..
I said that here..
www.abovetopsecret.com...

telling you to go comment on one of the thousands of other rants about spelling that seem to pop up on an hourly basis

Third post! pay attention

edit on 11/8/2012 by Juggernog because: (no reason given)

Not to be petty, but you didn't quote the part of the post where it seems they mashed the keyboard with their hands in an attempt to show me what for.

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 08:34 PM
link   

I quoted the relevant part of the post

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 09:04 PM
link   

I quoted the relevant part of the post

I think the helpfulness and the douchyness kind of cancel one another out, so I didn't count it. I will admit that it was pointed out earlier than I stated a few posts back. You have me there.

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 09:23 PM
link   

Alright, cool. Welcome to the boards.

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 06:11 AM
link   

wow u wated a yaer for you're furst post and all u cin do is bellly ache about spellsin

what a waist

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 06:12 AM
link   
Let me just say this.

It is -socially- incorrect, to correct someone else with the following exceptions:

Your relationship to the person being corrected is:

#1 A Teacher
#2 A Parent
#3 An Employer

If you are not one of the above 3, it is socially incorrect to correct that person. However if for some reason you don't understand a person, then socially it is ok to ask for clarification. And if you are particularly astute, you will notice I just violated the social rule of which I am preaching.

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 06:13 AM
link   
I have noticed that the spell checker uses American spelling, such as 'color' but the UK citizens use 'colour' yep, underlined in red! so who is write? (sorry, right).

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 06:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by minkmouse

So for your first "real" thread you choose to bitch about grammar? Yea, great topic

Oh and the spell checker isnt in the post submission form, its in your browser.

At least I waited until my second post
I'll watch as this thread goes down in flames as nobody gives a rats petunia anymore about spelling. You forgot "Then" and "Than" in the OP. I'm thinking roughly 2% of the English speaking community understand what those two words mean.

Is it 'rats petunia', or 'rat's petunia'?

I stop reading the second I see 'could of'. If, when I am reading a post, I see 'could have', I usually back track to make sure my brain didn't auto-correct the usual 'could of', and then give a star, regardless of thoughts expressed.

edit on 9-11-2012 by davidmann because: (no reason given)

edit on 9-11-2012 by davidmann because: (no reason given)

link   

Well well well. Quite the first thread there. Straight for the jugular.

May I ask for your attention on this please:

In my experience, people who don't speak English well generally start their threads

You moan about errors. Here is an obvious one, that I am sure you must have missed while proofreading your post so carefully.

Surely there should be a comma there to make it easier to read.

I am bringing this to your attention, so that you may see, everyone makes mistakes sometimes.

Now, I humbly apologize, since English is only my third language.

Wish you the best on ATS.

vvv
edit on 9-11-2012 by VreemdeVlieendeVoorwep because: (no reason given)

link   

Originally posted by nerbot

Originally posted by prostheticmind
Knowledge is its own reward.

"its" has an apostrophe. Like this: "it's".

pathetic.

When used in this context it doesn't!

Only when it's used to abbreviate "It is"... as I have expertly demonstrated....

FAIL.....

in fact...

PATHETIC FAIL...

PA

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 06:45 AM
link   

I'm with you on the poor spelling, Ace. Usually from the syntax one can tell if it is a native Engish speaker or not, and I don't begrudge non-native speakers their errors because their English is better than my [fill in the language]. But lots of spelling and or usage errors, as well as inscrutable punctuation and poor grammar -- all of which makes it a lot harder to understand.

What really gets my goat, however, is people who make false/hyperbolic claims in thread titles or in the content of their threads, when it is obviously briefly skimming their linked source that they are misrepresenting matters.

And yes, it is always good to do a search or two, i.e. using different key words, before creating a new thread.

Welcome aboard and glad to see another fellow former lurker now posting.

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 06:56 AM
link   
Now this thread has made me laugh. Such seriousness when it could have been titled "why I like toe lint" Our spell checker is disabled intentionally so our son learns to use the dictionary.

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 12:03 PM
link   
reply to post by boymonkey74

Hey, Lol, I agree with your statement of "Also at the end of the day as long as you get your point across does it really matter?."
And Yah I guess it is Actually an 'Exam'. We are being examined by others who seem to care more about Specifics like Spelling, Grammer, when they really should be ok in the fact that we are all different, and have our own way of getting the Point across! Spelling/Grammer Errors and All. Later, Syx.

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 12:15 PM
link   

Looks like you could use a new avatar, can I make a few suggestions?

and for your signature box:

I think they'll suit you perfectly.

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 12:31 PM
link   
ARFKM????
second!

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 02:42 PM
link   
I have thought of one legitimate reason to adhere to grammar and spelling. The faster language changes, the more difficult it will be to decipher what we're talking about a few hundred years from now. On Abovetopsecret, this is pretty irrelevant, but if you're going to be published or public in some fashion, you ought to weigh the liberties you take with your language carefully. Especially considering, people of the future will doubtlessly be looking back to this era for answers.

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 05:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by prostheticmind
You guys are generally very intelligent and you present thought provoking ideas on a fairly consistent basis. But seriously, you know there's a spell checker built into the post submission form, right? Do you realize that for some people who value language and the knowledge to use it effectively, your credibility is completely destroyed when you say something like: 'I'm just so dissapointed' or 'I think that's a good idea two!'?

It is not that hard.

there-denotes a place
they're-this means 'they are'
their-when you are talking about something which belongs to someone (that is their nuclear device)

to-this is the to you use most of the time
two-this is the number 2, nothing else.
too-this means 'also'. nothing else.

Aside from that, just pay attention to the spell checker. It tells you when you have spelled something wrong, so that you may fix it. Just try. Knowledge is its own reward.

Ya.. spell checker checks a words spelling not if it's a wrong homonym

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 09:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by rival
LOOK, YOU LITTLE OOMLAT!

SO YOU DECIDE TO COME IN HERE AND BUST YOUR ATS HYPHEN WITH THIS POST?!

WHILE YOU MAY HAPPEN TO HAVE AN OVERLY-TIGHT COLON AND A TINY DANGLING PARTICIPLE
IT DOESN'T GIVE YOU THE RIGHT TO COME IN HERE WITH THESE TYPE OF POINTLESS
EXCLAMATIONS!

SO TAKE YOUR OPINIONS AND SHOVE THEM UP YOUR ASTERISK!

jk....my meds haven't kicked in yet

That was a really creative use of language, my friend! You're ready to hang out with the 'prose.'

And I'm glad you confirmed you were j/k ...I woulda been sad to see such creativity shoot real daggers.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join