It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama Wins - Layoffs Starting

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 02:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Jeremiah65

Just saw gas for $2.98 in Basset, va (southern VA near Martinsville, VA FYI

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 02:16 PM
link   
reply to post by ldyserenity

If they can prove it and file suite, more power to them. If Obama's policies cause them to need to lay people off or go out of business later on, I can understand that, but to do it simply because he won, is just wrong. It reminds me of when I used to play the old Sierra city building games.... there would be pre-requisites that had to be met for people to evolve their housing to the next level. If you had met those pre-requisites and the housing improved, but then said pre-requisite disappeared they would literally tear down their nice house to live in a tent again.

"We're out of beer! Honey help me tear down these walls, we must live in a shack again."

My rambling aside, this is counterproductive behavior and in some ways very immature and selfish. I don't know if I actually said anything there, but I hope this makes sense to someone.

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 02:17 PM
link   
Booo *&uckin hooo...

I've been out of work for 2 years. and before that, and before that....

it all started with bush

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 02:19 PM
link   
I hope your company does start laying people off out of spite over who won. AND I hope your competition comes along and eats your company for lunch.

Nothing like cutting your nose off to spite your face.

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 02:21 PM
link   
My cousin worked for a delivery company driving a truck until this morning. They laid off half the drivers, and said that they will probably end up closing shop completely after the holidays.

A lot of the jobs out there now are seasonal only, wonder how high unemployment will jump in Jan.....

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 02:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Osiris1953

Thats what I mean its' hard to tell anymore if it is fact that the layoffs were in retaliation, it's going to be hard to prove either way. I didn't vote either, for the fact that I agreed with no one 100% I couldn't in good concience vote for anyone not even the third party. I agreed more with Ron Paul and would have voted for him.

The problem is is the layoffs are just gonna compound the issues with the economy. It would be wise to stay stagnate and wait at this point meaning a freeze of hiring and no layoffs, just to actually see what happens. That's My Opinion. Jumping the gun is just reinforcing economic failure, all those people out of work will have no money to spend. They will go on UEI and Welfare causing more deficit and the ball keeps rolling and compounding.

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 02:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by TDawgRex

Originally posted by PLASIFISK
How is Obama making businesses lay off it's employees? Where is the connection?

Because his Admin is creating regulations that are strangling them...so much red tape that many don't even want to start their own business. It's cost prohibitive.

It's all over the business news.

You mean this?

U.S. companies are the most profitable in more than 40 years, and some of the best-known stock pickers are divided over how long that will last.

Bob Doll, chief equity strategist at BlackRock Inc. (BLK), said low labor costs and cost-saving technology will allow companies to keep up their profitability. Jeremy Grantham, chief investment strategist of Boston-based Grantham, Mayo, Van Otterloo & Co., said margins will send stock markets tumbling when they eventually revert to their mean.

August 2011
On Friday we saw record quarterly profits of $1,450 billion, making up a record share of GDP at 10.1%. We're also at record corporate efficiency of $15,278.72 -- up 22.3% from last year -- according to Sageworks Inc.

That last one says it all. Rampant job cuts and salary cuts, with new responsibilities for old workers, during the recession turned corporations into profit-making machines. Stimulative policies from the government and the Federal Reserve helped plenty. New technology also helps with efficiency.

Unfortunately there are no signs that corporations are turning revenue into jobs. See 14 of the biggest job-cutting companies >

www.gather.com...

Couldn't be the regulations:

Their concerns are not unfounded. In early 2009 a set of policy proposals known as Indigenous Innovation Accreditation caused alarm among international businesses when early drafts seemed to shut the door to foreign products across the high-tech industry through a complicated licensing system that required companies to register their IPR in China before registering elsewhere in order to qualify. In a report this June, the Washington-based U.S. Chamber of Commerce said the policies were "considered by many international technology companies to be a blueprint for technology theft on a scale the world has never seen before."

www.time.com...

On January 31, 2011, China’s National Development and Reform Commission (NDRC) issued a “Notice on Further Regulating the Development and Record-Filing Administration of Equity Investment Enterprises in Pilot Regions” (the Notice). The Notice provides a more specific operating and compliance guidance for equity investment enterprises (EIEs) established in four pilot regions (specified below). Generally speaking, a private equity (PE) firm, whether domestic or foreign-invested, is an EIE as defined in the Notice.

www.jdsupra.com...

I think it's all about the money:

As Chinese wages rise, US manufacturers head back home

One big factor behind the move is the rising cost of labor in China. When it joined the World Trade Organization in 2001, China's average manufacturing wage was 58 cents an hour, says Harold Sirkin, senior partner at the Chicago office of BCG and one of the coauthors of its report. Since then, Chinese wages have risen 15 to 20 percent per year.

“The decisions you made when wages were 58 cents an hour are potentially going to look very different than when wages are around $6 per hour, as they will be in China in 2015,” Mr. Sirkin says. When the cost savings of manufacturing offshore is less than 10 percent of manufacturing domestically, companies start to reassess their decisions, he adds.

www.csmonitor.com...

I agree with this guy:

reply to post by PLASIFISK

because the CEO's have to make 9 million a yr while obama is president and not 15 million if romney was president

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 02:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by spiritualzombie
reply to post by ararisq

This argument is nothing more than financial terrorism from the right. Such slime, they are.

Yep, that is all it is.
Just people crying wolf.

Ok then. As people here post that in the real world, their business or company they work for is laying people off or closing its doors it is just fiction and I bet Carl Rove is behind their key board.

Sure sure then, sure sure.

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 02:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by MaurinQuina
reply to post by tport17

Well, its going to start happening in January....

That is exactly my point. Why would you lay someone off 2 months before it is necessary, if it is necessary at all? Why not wait until January and let the person have an income through Christmas? Why not wait until you know down to the penny what is happening to your company?

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 02:37 PM
link   
I don't believe the OP's story at all... complete BS.

Just another attempt to make people fearful and nervous. That garbage isn't going to work anymore..

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 02:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by jtma508
reply to post by MsAphrodite

Gee. Well I must be stupid then. As must my employer. They just keep expanding and hiring quarter-on-quarter. I don't know how we're managing to stay in business. Our CFO must be a fool.

Sounds like you are one of those evil companies that is profiting off the backs of other companies on hard times.
Every liberal should be screaming foul to the heavens over this.

Or, it is a company that is working on temp employees, part time, contract work or out sourcing.

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 02:46 PM
link   
I agree with this guy:

reply to post by Ninjamikec

because the CEO's have to make 9 million a yr while obama is president and not 15 million if romney was president

Corrected

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 02:46 PM
link   
The big story here which was not talked about much at all during the election is apparently the looming fiscal "cliff" sequestration. So, if Congress and the President can't come to terms in the next 3 months we automatically go into the most severe austerity program in the history of the industrialized world. Short of that at the best there will have to be some cuts in spending and tax increases. Not to mention Europe is still in the tank. Would have been problems for whoever won except that with Romney the yahoos in congress might have shut up and played along with the needed fix. No chance of that happening now.

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 02:50 PM
link   
reply to post by FreebirdGirl

Well...Duh! Of course it's about money.

But you just posted more policy wonk stuff. I hold them absolutely as a non credible source.

Just sayin'

We'll see who is right in the next four years.

In the meantime, I won't be employing anybody until I see a favorable climate. After all, it is my money on the line.

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 03:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Indigo5

reply to post by Indigo5

I tend to listen to what the business people are saying, rather than policy wonks.

And I own 2 busineses and employ 9 people. I don't have the luxury of believing idealogical BS about economics, BS costs money...same goes for my fortune 500 clients. The only layoffs directly related to this election are at the Romney campaign.
edit on 7-11-2012 by Indigo5 because: (no reason given)

edit on 7-11-2012 by Indigo5 because: (no reason given)

I didn't vote for Romney...but good luck with that.

Best to you and your predictions...I don't get paid for "luck" so don't place much stock in it, nor political fear mongering BS when I make decisions. Such a philosophy has profited me for 22 years now.

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 03:14 PM
link   

reply to post by FreebirdGirl

Well...Duh! Of course it's about money.

But you just posted more policy wonk stuff. I hold them absolutely as a non credible source.

Just sayin'

We'll see who is right in the next four years.

In the meantime, I won't be employing anybody until I see a favorable climate. After all, it is my money on the line.

I was replying to your statement:

Because his Admin is creating regulations that are strangling them...so much red tape that many don't even want to start their own business. It's cost prohibitive.

It's all over the business news.

So what business news are you reading? I provided my sources which contradicts your statement that due to the current administrstion's red tape businesses were suffering..
If you were so aware that it's about the money why blame any administration? Do you honestly believe that corporations would want less profit if only we had a different president? DUH ?

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 03:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by TKDRL
My cousin worked for a delivery company driving a truck until this morning. They laid off half the drivers, and said that they will probably end up closing shop completely after the holidays.

A lot of the jobs out there now are seasonal only, wonder how high unemployment will jump in Jan.....

Whether the economy is up or down..Delivery companies usually hire before the holidays. UPS and FedEx have seen some downturn in international markets (Europe) while experiencing growth in US markets.

Not sure what Co your cousin works for, but truck drivers are one of the jobs that remain in huge demand in the USA. Many companies are even paying to send applicants to school.

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 03:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by MsAphrodite
reply to post by Indigo5

He promotes fascism. If the shoe fits...

Political failure is the destiny of a GOP who derides everyone but the wealthy and white and call it's President Hitler...but keep cheering that party rhetoric all the way into obsolecense.

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 05:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by HauntWok
...Companies that lay off people because they are too scared about the economy are the problem.

Uhhh - and, which problem is that? Is it the problem?

...What this country needs to do is to reject companies that lay off people because of who is in office and start supporting companies that hire when times are tough and have actually expanded their business during a recession.

And this will solve the problem...?

We should track companies that lay off employees because of who is in office and boycott their products and services and give that business instead to their competitors who aren't trying to make a political statement with people's jobs.

Yeah - and...WHO is going to be doing this "tracking"? You? For no pay? Probably government funded - right?

...it's time that people help this recovery along instead of trying to hijack the political process by artificially stagnating the economy over petty political differences.

Hijacking the political process... Hmmm - at least half of the country voted other than Obama...but...because your candidate won, no-one-else should have a say...if they disapprove.
Only those that side with your choice...should have a say.
You paint with a very broad brush.

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 05:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Indigo5

That's the biggest reason I think this post is just sour grapes and BS... trucking companies are always hiring, go to Craigslist or the classifieds, you'll see more ads for hiring drivers than anything else. Companies are paying $2,500 signing bonuses for new drivers. Especially with the holidays coming up, no trucking company out there is laying off drivers. The two biggest trucking companies will actually PAY you to go to school, so long as you come drive for them for 2 years afterwards.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join