It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama Wins - Layoffs Starting

page: 30
<< 27  28  29    31  32  33 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 11:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by karen61560
reply to post by macman

Where does that line start again. You know the one where I get everything? I want to get on it.

www.fema.gov
www.welfareinfo.org...
www.section8programs.com...
unemploymentapply.com...
Food stamps are a state thing.
www.reachoutmobile.com...
www.benefits.gov...

That should keep you busy for a while.

edit on 9-11-2012 by macman because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 11:46 AM
link   
reply to post by 0zzymand0s

And I'm saying even if republicans decide to love unions, they're still a bunch of lying crooks just like the democrats, and the counrty still is going to go bust.

People need to realize both partys are the same and stop blaming the other half of us for our problems.

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 12:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Gridrebel

Have you actually read the healthcare act? From reading your posts it doesn't seem that way. The healthcare act prevents insurance premiums from exceeding a percentage of a person's income. If you don't know the answer please don't make up one.

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 12:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by ldyserenity

Originally posted by Aliensdoexist
reply to post by ararisq

For everyone that voted for Obama this is your "Hope" and your "Change" that he promised if you would give him your vote. Your gonna see unemployment rise dramatically, stocks continue to drop, gas prices continue to rise, taxes will rise for those of us with jobs because of obamacare and lost revenue from people being out of work. Well at least the times ahead will be pretty action packed and exiting to watch from an observer's point of view.

Coming from someone named AliensDoExist I don't know if I should take this post seriously...yeah I still don't know. Okay I guess if you believe in Aliens you wouldd believe that this thread holds the truth as well...

edit on 8-11-2012 by ldyserenity because: Add

'

Since you're attacking someone's avatar and it's contents, I would state that yours indicates you are buried 6 feet under. Obviously, you can't see the light. You shouldn't attack a members avatar in defense of your stance on a topic.

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 01:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by FreebirdGirl
Have you actually read the healthcare act? From reading your posts it doesn't seem that way. The healthcare act prevents insurance premiums from exceeding a percentage of a person's income. If you don't know the answer please don't make up one.

She didn't read it. The President didn't read it. No one that passed it read it. Good for you though in finding the time to read it all the way through.

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 01:50 PM
link   
reply to post by longlostbrother

Even though he was data entry, he was still a successful artist. A second job didn't take away his talent! Artists do second jobs all the time, for precisely the reasons you stated, but it doesn't take away from their success as artists.
Many of my high school friends would see me in my thirties, working at a grocery store. I wasn't embarrassed, because they could also see my work in the media, and they knew it. If you love art, you will do what it takes to be able to keep up your work.
Thank you for the info.
I'm still looking into all the nuances, and taking a wait and see approach. Like so many money ventures, the eligibility of things might change, or the requirement might change in the future due to the bottom line.
My mother is prone to cancer. She's retiring soon, and she just called me and gave me the "I've had a good life." Line. She won't seek treatment if her cancer returns. I'd like to think that if this is how she feels, she came across this philosophy by herself, and didn't have it drummed into her head by some establishment.
I'm wondering how much of her thinking is influenced by current trends.

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 02:20 PM
link   
unemployedworkers.org...

I hope I copied and pasted the link correctly. How is obama going to end emergency unemployment benefits to the majority of his voter base?

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 02:31 PM
link   

reply to post by Gridrebel

The health care act prohibits the premiums from going up 10% or more in a year. It has nothing whatsoever to do with your income. Tough titties if you can't afford them, shop somewhere else. The health care premiums have risen by 4% every year for the last few years. Figure it out.

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 02:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by karen61560

Originally posted by peck420

Originally posted by jtma508
reply to post by MsAphrodite

Gee. Well I must be stupid then. As must my employer. They just keep expanding and hiring quarter-on-quarter. I don't know how we're managing to stay in business. Our CFO must be a fool.

Yup, because the single enterprise you work for is indicative of the market as a whole.

Every industry is different, and, currently, most industries are not doing well.

Couldnt this model be used in the op then as in this is also a single enterprise. Do we need a poll from business owners or retailers about who is spending and who is not spending. I dont see that most industries are not doing well. Where do you get that from. Figures? Using words like most is dangerous as it implies much more than what is really happening. Some industries are not doing well is more accurate a statement. Not Most industries. You dont have a clear economic picture if you believe that.

We have a very clear picture that most industries are not doing well.

The abysmal growth rate over the last couple years.
The lack of change to unemployment

Etc, etc.

If we were in a period of good growth and the OP had stated that his company was laying people off, so the world must be doing poorly, I would have told him the same thing I told that poster.

If you really want numbers and figures, I suggest you start with the Bureau of Economic Analysis.
edit on 9-11-2012 by peck420 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 05:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by ldyserenity

Originally posted by Aliensdoexist
reply to post by ararisq

For everyone that voted for Obama this is your "Hope" and your "Change" that he promised if you would give him your vote. Your gonna see unemployment rise dramatically, stocks continue to drop, gas prices continue to rise, taxes will rise for those of us with jobs because of obamacare and lost revenue from people being out of work. Well at least the times ahead will be pretty action packed and exiting to watch from an observer's point of view.

Coming from someone named AliensDoExist I don't know if I should take this post seriously...yeah I still don't know. Okay I guess if you believe in Aliens you wouldd believe that this thread holds the truth as well...

edit on 8-11-2012 by ldyserenity because: Add

You think its foolish to believe that we are the only beings that exist somewhere in this vast limitless universe with a nearly infinite amount of galaxies such as our own Milky Way that contain billions of stars much like our own Sun that have trillions of planets orbiting around those billions of stars, and you are ignorant enough to think I'm foolish for believing that we are not the only life on this little tiny grain of sand we call Earth on a beach that is nearly limitless.

Why is it foolish to think this planet isn't the only one out of an infinite amount of planets that can sustain life?
edit on 9/11/12 by Aliensdoexist because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 06:03 PM
link   
Taxes are going up on the wealthy at least, and alot of those that are going to be paying in more in taxes, own business's and so they layoff workers or at least threaten to do so.

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 06:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by ararisq

She didn't read it. The President didn't read it. No one that passed it read it. Good for you though in finding the time to read it all the way through.

I don't care who read it. The healthcare act affects my life so yes I did take the time to read some of it. There is a section dedicated to how the law might effect employees. I would rather take the time to read then not know what the law is and look like an a** for claiming things that are not true.

For those who might be interested you can read the parts that only pertain to you. :

www.healthcare.gov...

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 06:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by spinalremain
Reply to post by macman

First of all, people do not vote Dem because they'll receive free stuff.

That is what the right is telling themselves because that is easier to swallow than the fact that their ideas are outdated and only support fundamentalist Xtians and the super wealthy.

The fact is that the 'free stuff' people collecting is SS which they pay into. It's their money.

Secondly, if you're referring to welfare, Republicans pay that out too. Actually, red states receive the most government assistance.

Your thinking is all straw man and it's going to prevent you from coming up with actual solutions. You're stuck on the Santa Claus propaganda.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

Social security is mostly the money workers pay in, but none of that paid in money exists, it has all been spent. Medical funding is only 1/4 covered by tax income and the ratio is getting smaller all the time as medical costs increase eight percent a year. What that means is that in just 8 years medical expenses will double and account for two thirds of all tax income.

You are dead wrong if you think entitlements will be paid out at the same level 10 years from now. There is zero chance they won't be reduced significantly.

You are also very wrong when you say that democratic voters don't vote for free stuff - a large percentage do exactly that, and there is no shortage of videos where they freely admit that is why they are voting for Obama.

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 10:11 PM
link   
reply to post by mrnotobc

The bad part is that if the bill would have been paid by an insurance company, it would have been a grand cheaper for them. If it was paid by medicaid/medicare, it would have been fifteen hundred dollars cheaper. Hospitals and doctors charge paying customers much more than they do to insurance companies, that is not right. I actually read all the bills I get. I studied my mothers bills and my uncles bills when they got paid. Hospitals and doctors shouldn't charge cash customers more.
edit on 9-11-2012 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 10:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by FriedBabelBroccoli

Originally posted by gentledissident

Originally posted by FriedBabelBroccoli
We are replacing much of their work with a hydroponics system whose cost is miniscule in comparison.

Why hasn't your business been running that way all along? The end goal is to have technology replace workers so we can have more leisure time. Work is for robots.

You do understand we don't intend to share what we produce or give it away?

With all the technology we have we are working more than ever, what makes you think that more technology will eliminate work?

It will only eliminate the need for useless eaters who do not contribute to furthering the technology. Don't forget that in most all populace revolutions the 'intellectuals' and 'artists' are the first to get 86'd.

I'm sure you don't plan on sharing. It's not very capitalistic. I'm saying that if you're worried about people losing their jobs, why didn't you worry about them being overworked? You could have worked them less and paid them more if you'd had the automation in the 1st place.

A lot of people are "useless eaters", because nature often takes the laziest course. We need to take into account our animal nature. It's hard to tell what the real homosapien is with all the training and learned abuse going on.

I have no idea why you added the bit about intellectuals and artists. We all theorize, and we're all artists.
edit on 9-11-2012 by gentledissident because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 10 2012 @ 07:41 AM
link   
obama, do u know obama i do, u dont so shut up u dont have to vote for obama why u vote for him ?

posted on Nov, 10 2012 @ 11:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by longlostbrother

How can a system that creates endless bankruptcies and rewards private business for being less efficient, good?

Answer: it's not.

I agree and why the Automobile bailout was a very bad idea. One company is now foreign own and the other will still go bankrupt in the next four years all this at a cost of 50 billion to the tax payer. Bankruptcy is a good thing when massive restructuring is required.

We need to let competition work...My wife got her breast done, we paid out of pocket and it was 5k, and done by an extreme good doctor with perfect results. No insurance involved and all of it was done in a hospital. A friend of mine wanted gastric bypass done since he was way over weight and the insurance would not cover it since he was basically healthy still. It would have been 35k out of pocket so he went to Mexico and had it done for 7k for the cost of everything, flight hotel etc and surgery.

It is not the lack of insurance it is the cost of an inflated system because insurance sets the price. You get outside of that umbrella of insurance and things are extremely different.

All this is the direction many republicans want to go, but NO they want to take away health insurance from all...or so the demonizing goes from the far left. People just never have experienced what health care in the rest of the world looks like or cost to understand that our system is really messed up, and Obama is just throwing gas on the fire...hehe

edit on 10-11-2012 by Xtrozero because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 03:53 AM
link   
It is clear to me that this is an attempt by the capitalist to punish the common worker for not voting in the interest of the capitalist class. It is very important for the Unions to be very strong during this time. The Unions must show the owners of production that laying off workers will not work as a way to force the agenda of profit at all cost; regardless of the effect it will have on society. The workers must stand together and show the capitalist class that regardless of who is elected, the demands and exceptions of the workers will remain the same.

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 08:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Koros

Originally posted by HauntWok
reply to post by Koros

You just don't get it, do you? This is why Obama ultimately won, people like you and your "damn the rich for having money" mentality, espoused while having ZERO clue about how businesses run. You think the economy was bad before? Just wait, it's about to get a whole lot worse.

It's actually YOU who appear ignorant. Companies that lay off people because they are too scared about the economy are the problem.

What this country needs to do is to reject companies that lay off people because of who is in office and start supporting companies that hire when times are tough and have actually expanded their business during a recession.

We should track companies that lay off employees because of who is in office and boycott their products and services and give that business instead to their competitors who aren't trying to make a political statement with people's jobs.

No, the economy will recover, it has already started to recover, it's time that people help this recovery along instead of trying to hijack the political process by artificially stagnating the economy over petty political differences.
Are you really ignorant enough to think this has anything to do with making some BS political statement? Really, you believe that crap?

Companies are laying off people because they have to have the money to pay the higher taxes that are coming down the pipeline from Obama (particularly in the form of Obamacare).

Companies only lay off people if somethng is going wrong. More taxes less taxes, if they hired the right amount of people, then they turn a profit. If they fire people, than the people they dont have dont turn a profit and the company has less profits.

If a company is fiering people, its because buisness is bad and workers are idle, or 2 workers are doing the job one worker is doing. If they fire people while fully booked, then they cant satisfy customer demand.

Sure those who employ can tantrum fire, fire people although it hurts their bottom line, but at some point they have to cut their own flesh and lose out on business they could have or they have to come to their senses. I know of no company who hired so many hands that workers have it easy shmeasy at work, so if the place is jumping, they cant really fire anyone, not without replacing him.

We need food and shelter, so we need to work, we can threaten not to work unless higher wages, but in the end the employer knows we have to work and will settle.

Same for employers. They want that profit. Companies higher just as many people as they need to begin with, they can hold the jobs hostage and say no taxes or we fire. But in the end they want that profit, they NEED it, if hiering more hands means more profit, they will, whether they are taxed at 9% or 90% and they will only higher more people if they really need them to expand for more profit, whether they are taxed at 9% or 90% .

If taxes and health care mean more money will end up in more hands, it means rising prospects for business. You can set yourself up, to compete for a share of the additional money the population has, or you can tantrum fire, because taxes and sideline your business.

Originally posted by freedomwv
It is clear to me that this is an attempt by the capitalist to punish the common worker for not voting in the interest of the capitalist class. It is very important for the Unions to be very strong during this time. The Unions must show the owners of production that laying off workers will not work as a way to force the agenda of profit at all cost; regardless of the effect it will have on society. The workers must stand together and show the capitalist class that regardless of who is elected, the demands and exceptions of the workers will remain the same.

There is no need to be very strong. Just as companies dont need to be strong in the face of outrageous wage demands, because eventually we will turn hungry and take that job, companies want profits and for the time being, they need people for that. Like I said before, regardless of what the tax rate is, companies only higher what they need to begin with. If they imply the firing is because Obama won, dont fall for it, surplus hands get laid off wether the president is a rep or dem, just like they wont fire anyone without replacing him, if it cuts into their profits.

We need to eat and have to settle, but they need that profit and if its less profit because of higher taxes they will higher you anyway, because getting less profit out of you is better than getting no profit out of you.
edit on 11-11-2012 by Merinda because: (no reason given)

Originally posted by TDawgRex
reply to post by Indigo5

I tend to listen to what the business people are saying, rather than policy wonks.

I guess we'll see what history says.

What is very very good for a business isnt necessarily good for the economy. Quite the opposite. It can be terminal for the economy.

Lets legalese slave labor (not just the blacks, everyone), it is very very good for your business in the short therm. All those wages you payed? They are your profit now. But guess what, other companies start using slave labor too. Now the money in the economy starts drying up, because nobody earns a wage anymore, now nobody has money to spend on your buisness anymore and poof, you are out of buisness.

The good of the economy trumps the good of the business, because when the economy tanks, so will your buisness. But many people cant make the distinction between economy and business and I am sure a good amount cant even follow what I laid out here.

Originally posted by macman
reply to post by jimmyx

His Pro Business policies, like lower Taxes and 0bamacare repeal would have created better economic conditions for businesses.

This is not new, and to ask this question over and over again just shows ignorance.

When the Govt has an anti business stance, business will retract.
Not rocket science.

You are wrong. It isnt low taxes and no healthcare for employees feeding buisnessess, it is and always will be the consumer. A consumer with money in his hand will buy what he likes, so any measure that emboldens the consumer strengthens the economy. If you can expand to make more profits you will higher more people, whether your profits are taxed at 5% or 90%, if more hands mean more money to you, you will higher more hands, unless you prefer to take a loss to get back at the democrats. By the same token if your buisness is tanking you lay off people, even if your tax rate is 0 across the board and your business tanks because people dont have money to do business with you, assuming they want what you offer.

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 02:49 PM
link   
Dont think the lay off's are just because of Obama, there would be similar issues by the any new president.. always is.

new topics

top topics

<< 27  28  29    31  32  33 >>

join