It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Our Fore Fathers should be turning over in their graves

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 11:09 AM
link   
Before I get called a conservative extremist, racist, or any other terms to classify me as an Obama hater, hear me out!

The title is not intended to be read as a racist statement or any other way to bash Obama and his party.

I voted for Romney because I believed in him. However, Obama won the election. That's fine, I accept that.
Now leaving my beliefs behind I will venture out into neutral waters as I develop this thread. I ask anyone reading this to stay neutral on the topic and address the main point of my thread only.

Now that all that's out of the way on to the main point:
Two-hundred and thirty six years ago this country declared its indepence from Great Britain.
"We hold these truths to be self evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights, that among these are Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness."
At the time Africans were not seen as equals because they were brought to this country as slaves. This was the norm for our Fore Fathers since they knew nothing else. It wasn't until many years later that they were freed from their bonds and became Americans, African Americans, but Americans nonetheless.

There are still those in America that are too caught up in the color of a man's skin that they can't see
past that fact, and actually see the matters at hand. Our fore fathers chose leaders based upon their leadership abilities and their policies not on trivial matters. For example if our fore fathers chose our first leader, George Washington, because he had the best hair style or because they liked his shoes, this country wouldn't have gotten very far.

Two-hundred and thirty six years later there are (some, hopefully not the majority) people out there that voted for or against our two candidates, Obama and Romney, based solely on the color of their skin.
In our country, which is ever growing in its ethnicity make up, How can this be happening?
I'm not trying to single out a party and accuse them of this because they both are guilty of it.
There are "whites" out there that voted for Romney just because Obama is an African American, and there are African Americans who voted for Obama because Romney is white.
However, There are informed voters of all ethnic backgrounds who voted for Obama based on his beliefs, and the same is true for Romney.

Until this country as a whole can transcend the racial views that sway their votes and make informed decisions, we're not going to get very far.

Once again I'm not trying to oppose President Obama with this thread. This thread is in response to some of the racial slurs that are now plaguing social media such as Facebook and twitter.

Congratulations Mr. Obama on your win. Please man the helm strongly and steer us in the right direction. Prove me, and others who voted against you wrong.

- Holiday

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 11:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by Holidakd

Two-hundred and thirty six years ago this country declared its indepence from Great Britain.
"We hold these truths to be self evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights, that among these are Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness."

At the time Africans were not seen as equals because they were brought to this country as slaves. This was the norm for our Fore Fathers since they knew nothing else.

To be fair and accurate...there was a great deal of debate about that turn of phrase and it can be credibly argued that the founding fatehrs did indeed consider African-Americans when they wrote that, though they knew it politically impossible to free them at the time.

Thomas Jefferson wrote that turn of phrase...and in 1785 he wrote this..

"Can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are of the gift of God?

That they are not to be violated but with his wrath?

Indeed I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just: that his justice cannot sleep for ever: that considering numbers, nature and natural means only, a revolution of the wheel of fortune, an exchange of situation, is among possible events: that it may become probable by supernatural interference!

The Almighty has no attribute which can take side with us in such a context.... I think a change already perceptible, since the origin of the present revolution. The spirit of the master is abating, that of the slave rising from the dust, his condition mollifying, the way I hope preparing, under the auspices of heaven, for a total emancipation, and that this is disposed, in the order of events, to be with the consent of the masters, rather than by their extirpation."

www.monticello.org...

I guess is what I am saying is that our founding fathers would be celebrating.

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 11:53 AM
link   
Our forefathers did roll over in their graves 2 years ago when that earthquake hit DC.

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 11:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Holidakd

No matter how you tried to spin it in your first paragraph alone, it's obvious that this is racist, right wing BS.

Stop trying to figure out why Romney didn't win via the makeup of the people that voted Obama for another 4 years.

Come up with something substantial to turn the country around as you see it. You have 4 more years to do that.

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 12:30 PM
link   

Now that all that's out of the way on to the main point: Two-hundred and thirty six years ago this country declared its indepence from Great Britain. "We hold these truths to be self evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights, that among these are Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness." At the time Africans were not seen as equals because they were brought to this country as slaves. This was the norm for our Fore Fathers since they knew nothing else. It wasn't until many years later that they were freed from their bonds and became Americans, African Americans, but Americans nonetheless.

This seems so out of context with the rest of your thread, and am just curious as to why you put this paragraph in there.

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 12:33 PM
link   
i think using the word african american is racist.....if you were born in america then your just american, should be putting labels on people

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 12:56 PM
link   
Our "Fore Fathers" wrote a document based on "freedom" while they owned slaves and only considered men to have rights.

Remind me why I should care what they would think?

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 08:03 PM
link   
If anything, our forefathers should be turning over in their graves because of the lack of fiscal responsibility our government has shown.

16 trillion in debt. Congress is supposed to keep this nation responsible, but has utter failed through lobbying, SIGs, and pure unadultered greed.

That, my friend, not skin color, is what should cause the dead to quiver.

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 08:09 PM
link   

Just Pondering how the `Fathers` would feel about the USA being in the Servitude Role to a Foreign Country.
Probably not what they had in mind.

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 08:25 PM
link   

At the time Africans were not seen as equals because they were brought to this country as slaves. This was the norm for our Fore Fathers since they knew nothing else. It wasn't until many years later that they were freed from their bonds and became Americans, African Americans, but Americans nonetheless.

As a side note, don't forget all those indentured servants that were shipped to the new world from Europe to be free labor for the wealthy landowners we call founding fathers. Of course they knew different, they were that era's 1% who had long since learned how to exploit the differences between themselves and "less fortunate" people, of whatever color.

homepages.rootsweb.ancestry.com...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 08:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Druid42
If anything, our forefathers should be turning over in their graves because of the lack of fiscal responsibility our government has shown.

16 trillion in debt. Congress is supposed to keep this nation responsible, but has utter failed through lobbying, SIGs, and pure unadultered greed.

That, my friend, not skin color, is what should cause the dead to quiver.

Why would debt bother a founding father?

On January 22, 1783 Congress ratified a contract for the repayment of 21 loans that the UNITED STATES had already received dating from February 28, 1778 to July 5, 1782. Now the UNITED STATES Inc. owes the King money which is due January 1, 1788 from King George via France. King George funded both sides of the Revolutionary War.

The Articles of Confederation acknowledge the debt owed to King George.

Now the loans were coming due and so a meeting was convened in Annapolis, Maryland, to discuss the economic instability of the country under the Articles of Confederation. Only five States come to the meeting, but there is a call for another meeting to take place in Philadelphia the following year with the express purpose of revising the Articles of Confederation On February 21, 1787 Congress gave approval of the meeting to take place in Philadelphia on May 14, 1787, to revise the Articles of Confederation. Something had to be done about the mounting debt. Little did the people know that the so called founding fathers were going to reorganize the United States because it was Bankrupt.

www.theforbiddenknowledge.com...

Borrow money ~ make the people pay back the loan with interest. Did you think Obama thought that up?

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 08:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sissel

Come up with something substantial to turn the country around as you see it. You have 4 more years to do that.

What happened to the last four years?
I thought Obama was going to fix everything.
Now for a second term the main focus seems to be that the people who didn't vote for Obama are supposed to fix it all?
Turn it around? The left won a second term for their man and keep saying that the right has to turn it around.
Where's the logic?

By the way, spinning in their graves like Ronco Rotisseries.
Oh, yeah. Popeil is out of California.
(note to self-don't buy ronco)
edit on 7-11-2012 by badgerprints because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 08:38 PM
link   
saw the title and agree fully
If I read correctly, SIR obama has made more freedom reducing changes to the constitution
and amendments in general then any leader in the past
someone please correct me

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 08:39 PM
link   
I am almost positive the "all men are created equal" at the time meant only white land owners over the age of 35. But I could be wrong.

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 08:53 PM
link   
I don't think that "many" people are voting solely based on race.

I think that the program/agenda of a party plays a MUCH bigger role in voting decisions and only a rather insignificant number vote(d) Obama "because he is black". I simply won't buy this.

top topics

join