Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

Potential Revolutionary Flashpoint in Greece - right now

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 12:05 PM
link   
Been watching this for quite some time now.

Something that strikes me odd about all these protests around the world is this....

Do any of those people own guns? They go out to protest to make a change and get arrested, shot at,
beaten up by police and gassed...yet NO ONE ever fires a shot at the police.

Maybe THAT is the flashpoint. When a protestor finally starts shooting back at the riot police, all heck will
break loose....It's gonna happen at some point.

And THEN what?

Oxi

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 12:10 PM
link   
those police look seriously outnumbered if this crowd got serious they couldn't stop them

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 12:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Oxidadoblancoquepasa

Gun laws are very strict in european countries,most everyone has been disarmed.

First take away their weapons,then deprive them of their means of subsistence.

What can they do then?.

200 some odd years ago,the U.S. was founded to escape this "Old World Order".

Some things just refuse to go away,there is no "New World Order",the OWO just refuses to go away.

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 12:17 PM
link   
reply to post by detachedindividual

People in the U.S. are too selfish to make any meaningful change.

They refuse to give up the luxuries they have to pay a mortgage on.

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 12:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Oxidadoblancoquepasa
Been watching this for quite some time now.

Something that strikes me odd about all these protests around the world is this....

Do any of those people own guns? They go out to protest to make a change and get arrested, shot at,
beaten up by police and gassed...yet NO ONE ever fires a shot at the police.

Maybe THAT is the flashpoint. When a protestor finally starts shooting back at the riot police, all heck will
break loose....It's gonna happen at some point.

And THEN what?

Oxi

It's important to remember that most countries are not like the USA when it comes to gun ownership. In most other nations, guns are pretty much restricted to rural areas, used in farming and and as a tool of necessity. America is pretty much the only country in the world that has an industry built around recreational gun use and public ownership of firearms.

There are a lot of nations where guns are in circulation and not controlled, but these are generally as a result of conflict and internal revolution. No other nation that I'm aware of has an open industry relating to gun use.

But you have to consider personal responsibility and risk too. At what point does it become reasonable to fight back with bullets? Some would say that the US is actually closer to that in recent years, what with the police actively abusing their authority and shooting people in the street.

When you think about some of the police officers murdering people in the US in the street, with witnesses, it is actually pretty surprising that there hasn't been an armed response from the public. I think if that were to happen at a protest like this in Athens, with innocent people actually fired upon, you would have an entirely different escalation of the violence.

That's the point at which all bets are off. When the police do something so unjust that the only response is something equal, then you get a revolution unfolding on the streets. It becomes a real war with actions met by equal or greater action.

The moment the police there actually kill someone on the street I would say that things are about to really kick off. Right now they seem to be enjoying a familiar dance, with just lots of things being thrown. It's like a national sport these days.

If those protesters actually become organized, and have a mission, a goal (for instance a plan to take parliament) then we could see it all happen and be over within a couple of days. But right now, they just seem to be venting their anger without any specific goals.

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 12:22 PM
link   
It is surreal to me that we can actually watch this unfolding this way. I feel like crying. I just heard a gunshot or something (got it open on another tab while I type this response), and they just threw stuff in the crowd to make smoke, what is that? It made them run.

Crap! More gunshots now? Anyway thanks for posting.

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 12:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by monkofmimir
those police look seriously outnumbered if this crowd got serious they couldn't stop them

Exactly, that's why I think this is just venting of anger against the government. If they actually created a plan and had an ambition, we would probably see a revolution, and it would probably be over and done with in a couple of days.

Those police are no match for a crowd of a few thousand who want to storm that building. They could actually do it pretty easily if they actually had enough people to sit down around a table and create a plan of action. But they haven't done that, they're just all gathering to scream and throw things.

Either way, it's likely that there will be a revolution there eventually. They'll either have a plan and do it with intent, or the Police will do something so unjust that the people have to respond with violence and they'll take that opportunity to take back their government too.

That's what I think at least. I've watched a lot of protests, riots and revolutions over the years, and it seems that there are patterns and predictable outcomes when it comes to the masses and their responses.

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 12:23 PM
link   

No,one person gets smoked,and the rest run home when they realize they could be next.

How do you think an airliner full of people could be hijacked with a frickin knife?.

4 hijackers,versus say,90 others?.

Uh huh.

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 12:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ellie Sagan
It is surreal to me that we can actually watch this unfolding this way. I feel like crying. I just heard a gunshot or something (got it open on another tab while I type this response), and they just threw stuff in the crowd to make smoke, what is that? It made them run.

Crap! More gunshots now? Anyway thanks for posting.

It's not gunshots. If it were, there would be massive violence there right now and the police would be destroyed within an hour.

They're just throwing flash-bang grenades and gas, and the protesters are throwing rubble and fireworks back at them.

If the police actually start shooting people, with that kind of crowd, they would probably be swarmed and killed within no time at all.

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 12:28 PM
link   
What happens,when austerity measures force the cops to work with no pay,reduced pay,or lose their jobs?.

Then it's gonna get ugly.

TPTB probably won't allow that to happen though.

Police forces are just a fence,to separate livestock from the farmers abode.

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 12:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by MyHappyDogShiner

No,one person gets smoked,and the rest run home when they realize they could be next.

How do you think an airliner full of people could be hijacked with a frickin knife?.

4 hijackers,versus say,90 others?.

Uh huh.

You're wrong.
The history of protest shows that.
The crowd is what makes the difference. People look to each other almost for permission to act. If someone is in a small group and sees something happen, they will check the others in their group to see if someone should act. If no one shows a sign of intending to act, most will not. But when you have a group of tens of thousands, that is not possible. People will form groups and act in defence of themselves and others.

How do you think the revolution in Egypt happened? Why did the protests in Syria become a revolution? How did the people of Libya become revolutionaries?

It all started with the authorities opening fire on innocent protesters, and those protesters decided to fight back. They didn't run home and hide under their beds, they became enraged and picked up everything they could find to use as a weapon.

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 12:30 PM
link   
reply to post by MyHappyDogShiner

I agree with ya DOG. We have some pretty strict gun laws here in the usa, but ALOT of people still have guns tucked away for a rainy day it seems.

I did notice Greece is way down on the Homicide list here..en.wikipedia.org...

I sure some of the old timers over there have shotguns out in the shed to fend off the drunken martinii addicts from stealing their olives from their vineyard though. I find it wild that some of the youth haven't found their parents gun stash and want to go out and try and be a hero in these protests. I mean, it IS a PROTEST. Not like they are going to go there to make peace with the riot police.

Heck, over here we read about shootings everyday....and that is at a party, college, graduation party, wedding, etc. Yet these people are at a protest and all they are doing is throwing molitov cocktails....Personally, I'd rather be drinking one...lol

I really do think we are rapidly escalating towards a violent confrontation and the minute a shot is fired from the protestors all h### is gonna break loose. THAT'S when we see the real crowds come out.

jmho

oxi

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 12:35 PM
link   

Ah, ok, thanks for clearing that up for me. That makes sense anyway if I had thought it through. I don't know much about this kind of thing, obviously

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 12:41 PM
link   
Wish they had this cam on night vision with a mild filter.

Could see more.

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 12:43 PM
link   
I just hope when the whole thing finally does kick of we don't see those neonazi golden dawn taking charge

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 12:49 PM
link   
There is something a little more substantial burning now.

I Wonder what it is?.

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 12:50 PM
link   
Something is on fire now. Looks kinda big to me.

Oops, myhappydog beat me too it!
edit on 7-11-2012 by Ellie Sagan because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 12:51 PM
link   
This is incredible, good for the Greek Citizens.

Its a shame that no one in the UK has the minerals to do this....

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 12:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by MyHappyDogShiner
There is something a little more substantial burning now.

I Wonder what it is?.

Car?

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 01:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ellie Sagan

Ah, ok, thanks for clearing that up for me. That makes sense anyway if I had thought it through. I don't know much about this kind of thing, obviously

Well, it's just my opinion. I have a bad habit of stating my opinion like that, it comes across as arrogance but I really don't mean it to be

I could be completely wrong, I just don't think I am, not when it comes to this. I just see that a lot of the revolutions we've seen in the past few years all seem to have something in common. It used to be that the people relied on some internal government/military support, but now it really is the people against their authorities, and they seem to follow a certain pattern of protest leading to outrage at the response, which then escalates the protest into a revolution.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join