It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Potential Revolutionary Flashpoint in Greece - right now

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+2 more 
posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 10:40 AM
link   
As some of you may know, I have specific theories on when a protest becomes a revolution. Riots happen all the time, crowds come and go, but often it seems that one event is a catalyst for real and genuine revolution.

I believe that catalyst may have just triggered in Greece.

We know that Greece has been facing some of the largest and most violent protests, and that the government there is not meeting the needs of many citizens.

Right now, there are hundreds of thousands of people streaming into Syntagma Square, this is one of the largest protests Athens has seen in the last year, and it has been triggered by the suicide of man...

Syntagma Square Live Stream

An elderly man approached parliament today, stood outside and shot himself. His suicide note reads...

"The Tsolakoglou government has annihilated all traces for my survival, which was based on a very dignified pension that I alone paid for 35 years with no help from the state. And since my advanced age does not allow me a way of dynamically reacting (although if a fellow Greek were to grab a Kalashnikov, I would be right behind him), I see no other solution than this dignified end to my life, so I don’t find myself fishing through garbage cans for my sustenance. I believe that young people with no future, will one day take up arms and hang the traitors of this country at Syntagma Square, just like the Italians did to Mussolini in 1945"

If my theories are correct about protest becoming a flashpoint for real revolution, I would suggest that we watch this live stream and wait for the police response. If it is violent, it will crate a spiral with protesters responding in kind. This is outside parliament, and the chances of the storming of the building are considerable with increasing numbers of protesters arriving by the minute.

Edit to add: Apologies, it seems that the suicide is a previous event (April), being widely reported as a new death. The protest is a planned march against austerity measures in Greece.
edit on 7-11-2012 by detachedindividual because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 10:47 AM
link   
Oh my, I think you are correct in recognizing the significance of this tragic act and this demonstration.

This will be a powerful statement to those in power and those that probably protested beside this gentlemen currently in the streets of Greece tonight. In my opinion this has changed the environment dramatically and I fear that some will seek revenge as a result.

The Boston Massacre comes to mind.

I hope it does not get to the point of bloody revolution, but this act will be viewed as a powerful gesture, hopefully powerful enough to incite true change in the nation without the need for violence.

edit on 7-11-2012 by MDDoxs because: (no reason given)

edit on 7-11-2012 by MDDoxs because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 11:06 AM
link   
The link doesn't seem to be working for me I keep gettig 404?

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 11:20 AM
link   
there go the molotovs, things are heating up but will tonight be the night.

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 11:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by ElOmen

It's fine for me.

Things are really heating up there now. The piggies are out in force and using flash-bangs and tear gas. Fire is lighting up the streets and the government building is pretty much surrounded.

Lets remember that it is raining in Athens right now too, that usually limits the crowds - unless they are extremely angry of course.

When that many people come out in the rain, and still refuse to go when the bangs and clouds of gas start, you know they are serious. That's just my opinion, but I think I'm right.

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 11:27 AM
link   
This is tragic. However, if you recall the many cases in this country of people resorting to suicide because of the 2007 Wall Street economic collapse and having their savings wiped out, their home equity erased, their jobs lost, their homes foreclosed it kinda puts things in perspective. We're five years out from that crap storm and no one has been held accountable here at home.

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 11:29 AM
link   
Oh man, the situation is certainly heating up.

The police are using smoke and flash grenades like crazy.

It just takes a poorly thought out action by one officier to incite a full on riot.

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 11:33 AM
link   
The cam has gone black my end? Just me?

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 11:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by ElOmen

It's coming up 404 with me too would it be because I'm using an iPhone? I'm In the UK if anyone asks

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 11:35 AM
link   
Wow!,looks like these people are frickin PISSED,......

And more keep coming.

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 11:39 AM
link   
Don't your remember this from when austerity measures first started happening?

www.liveleak.com...

I am not sure how to feel about these people committing political suicide, as I often think about their families, and wonder if it is an excuse to get away from it all.

Does this type of action really prove a point?

I grew up during the Viet Nam era, and this sort of stuff was not unusual:

news.bbc.co.uk... _2973000/2973209.stm

1966: Vietnam Buddhist burns to death A 17-year-old Buddhist girl has committed suicide by setting herself alight in a street in the city of Hue. She was protesting against the South Vietnam regime.

People are expendable, and this happened a lot during the war back then. Did it prove a point, while we all sat in horror and watched?

Al this proves is that Greece is in the middle of a civil war, with the increasing likeleyhood of these types of actions.......

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 11:39 AM
link   
reply to post by ThePeaceMaker

I'm UK too, and it's streaming fine for me.

The crowds are being dispersed with huge clouds of gas right now, and it's just not working. They keep coming back and they're not really bothered by it at all by the looks of things.

Protesters are throwing fireworks and molotov cocktails into the police, kicking the gas canisters back at them.

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 11:42 AM
link   
reply to post by detachedindividual

Are you using an PC/laptop ?
2nd

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 11:43 AM
link   
The person with the cam is gonna become a target when they figure out where he/she is observing from.

I wouldn't hang there too much longer.,

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 11:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by detachedindividual

The crowds are being dispersed with huge clouds of gas right now, and it's just not working. They keep coming back and they're not really bothered by it at all by the looks of things.

Protesters are throwing fireworks and molotov cocktails into the police, kicking the gas canisters back at them.

The link in the OP didn't work for me but the ones on Zerohedge did? Same cams I guess.

www.zerohedge.com...

That's a lot of pissed off people.
edit on 7-11-2012 by khimbar because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 11:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by khimbar

The link in the OP didn't work for me but the ones on Zerohedge did? Same cams I guess.

www.zerohedge.com...

Quoted your reply as its working on my iPhone in case any other members have difficulty. Yup they looked pissed. Thanks for the reply

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 11:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by khimbar

www.zerohedge.com...

Yeah, that first one is the same view I'm getting on the other link.

Originally posted by ThePeaceMaker
reply to post by detachedindividual

Are you using an PC/laptop ?
2nd

I'm on a Mac. It's a pretty high quality stream, but it is the same one elsewhere, so I guess there are multiple sources to try.

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 11:59 AM
link   
If this stuff starts happening here in the U.S.,I will have a hard time going the opposite direction.

But I will be heading for the hills,too many people with guns,and zero common sense.

ZERO COMMON SENSE.Even the cops.

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 12:02 PM
link   
This is gonna get really F-in ugly.

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 12:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by MyHappyDogShiner
If this stuff starts happening here in the U.S.,I will have a hard time going the opposite direction.

But I will be heading for the hills,too many people with guns,and zero common sense.

ZERO COMMON SENSE.Even the cops.

I think it's fair to assume it will happen in the US at some point. You haven't even started the Austerity game yet, and already people are suffering all over the country. The question really is whether people can organize enough to get together in any meaningful way, and whether a political group might influence it to destabilize the nation.

Think about it, if there was massive anger and protest like this when the Tea Party was around, you can guarantee the extremist element would have tried to infiltrate it.

If there are massive protests like this against the US government in the coming four years, you can bet the extremist element in the Republican party will be fanning the flames too.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join