It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Alcohol

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 09:11 AM
link   
How exactly does alcohol poison somebody?

If you drink one entire bottle of, say, Grey Goose Vodka, would it kill you and how would it kill you?

In what way is alcohol good for you?

I hear conflicting things about alcohol. Certain claims says it is good for you, other claims say it is bad for you?

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 09:16 AM
link   
reply to post by WarJohn

Alcohol consumed in moderation (1 glass per day or a couple of glasses 2-3 times per week) such as red wine can help keep your blood thin and prevent clots.
If you were to drink a bottle of good vodka, it will overwhelm your liver and your body will die from alcohol poisoning. If someone is going to drink an entire bottle of vodka, don't waste your money on grey goose. The cheap stuff will give you the same results. Think of it this way, if you're going to shoot yourself in the head, would you use a bullet made of gold or lead?
edit on 7-11-2012 by Afterthought because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 09:18 AM
link   
Alcohol will destroy your liver in the long term, but it will if you drink too much. So it is poison otherwise it wouldn't do that.
Like everything else, moderation.

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 09:18 AM
link   
Easy - The more alcohol % in your blood the less oxygen. Inebriation = less oxygen in your brain. Obviously its bit more complicated than that, but this is the simple answer.

And posters are correct about the liver.

edit on 7-11-2012 by ConspiracyBuff because: Face!

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 09:20 AM
link   
Ive drank a fifth before. I didnt die. I also uhm.........well i aint small. But it takes a couple hours to drink one

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 09:20 AM
link   
In excessive amounts it can be bad for you. But I assure you people can consume very large amounts. Everyones tolerance is different. And the more you drink the faster your liver will be able to metabolize it.

I remember a year ago when I wasn't drinking much a few drinks would get me inebriated and I would cut myself off after 5 or 6. Currently I can drink 20+ drinks, but I suffer rather painful hangovers the next day.

One misconception is that you will get liver cancer or cirrhosis after a long spell of drinking, but in most cases that long spell is 10 years of steady/heavy drinking. Not everyone is the same though, and some people are more susceptible than others.

I recommend to avoid binge drinking. If your liver is not accustomed you will do more damage having 10-20 drinks a night than 3 or 4 consistently. Although, if you drink often, you may reach that tolerance, but it wouldn't be considered binging because you are keeping that level of drinking maintained.

Moderation though, unless you can handle it.

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 09:24 AM
link   
Small amounts fairly infrequently, get flushed out by a healthy liver with no trouble at all.

Large amounts more often put more pressure on the liver and due to alcohol being a diuretic makes you pass more water so this also effectively drys out the liver.

A massive amount on a perfectly healthy liver, besides an absolutely criminal hangover will be able to repair itself over time, but a small amount of near permanent damage will be done.

A large amount often and a massive amount rarely will start to really give that liver a hard time and the liver will not be able to repair itself fully.

Now if you have liver issues or are on medications, this will make the liver work even harder to repair itself after dealing with flushing the poison from the body.

Is alcohol a real poison, yes it is, but you wont kill yourself in one go easily, one bottle of vodka would probably be ok if you were no stranger to a drop now and then and have a sort of base tolerance, and ofc a healthy liver to start with. Also you will usually vomit it up before you can get enough in your blood in one go, drinking slowly and ramping up over the night and THEN drinking a bottle of vodka is very dangerous because you may pass out and choke on vomit instead or not be able to vomit enough up.

To kill a heavy drinker, they might be able to drink 2 bottles over a night and be okay, but they would need to stay away from all alcohols and medications for a while to let the liver sort itself back out.

So to sum up, it really depends how healthy your liver is to start with and if you drink occasionally and how much you drink, plus any other toxins/medications.

edit on 7-11-2012 by Biigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 09:38 AM
link   
As a teenager in my rebel years I used to go through atleast a liter of spirits everyday with beers on top sometimes and i never died and this included these little pills that began with an "e", this lasted about 18 months to 2 years until i broke up with my alchoholic girlfriend and got heavily into smoking some herbs of a nature i cant describe on here.

Anyway the moral of this story is that a litre of vodka will probably not kill you unless you are a midget or a little kid.

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 09:42 AM
link   
reply to post by WarJohn

If you drink one entire bottle of, say, Grey Goose Vodka, would it kill you and how would it kill you?

Posters above have it pretty much covered. Poisoning aside, there is also a risk of the person choking on vomit which could lead to asphyxiation.

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 10:05 AM
link   
Hello,

I would like to share some information that I have been collecting about alcohol for some time:

(a) The Russian civilization, dating back to the times of ancient history, has refused alcohol. Having been Vikings that chose the Right Hand Path, they started a tradition of the population being somewhat in tune with nature.

(b) In fact, Russia refused alcohol until the introduction of Christianity and the establishment of the "Holy" Rus around the year 1401. At this same time, an estimated number of 30,000 shamans were killed throughout the country and everything tying man to nature was deemed paganism and witchcraft. Ever since that point, Russia has been ruled by German Princes. Occasionally, corrections were introduced and alcohol was rejected.

(c) Peter the "Great" introduced the practice of wine parties to Russia. A swing in the other direction could be observed during the ruling of Nicholas the Second, where alcohol was only drank three times a year (Easter, Christmas, and Holy Week) and was forbidden to be drank by women.

(d) Russia's birth and death rates has a direct correlation to the amount of liters of alcohol consumed per capita per annul.

(e) Both Lenin and Trotsky were "imported." Everything was going according to plan, until Lenin snapped. Lenin's wife was the one who poisoned him daily with his "medication" a little by little. Trotsky was too sick, they put up Stalin, one of the most defaced men in history. He was trapped. He knew he had no way out and he did his best. The gulags were in place way before his time and he had no control over them. He was the "all seeing eye" chosen to guide the Soviet Union.

(f) Please note, that during the first half of the Soviet Union there is no mention of alcohol. Stalin was that good and planning the economy. After he was disposed of and the Cold "War" was truly initiated, alcohol was reintroduced into the Russian demographic. The state run alcohol production, combined with propaganda was used to reap people of their material, spiritual, and methodological will and resources.

(g) These are the initial to which the modern population birth/death rates can be traced to.

(h) One may ask, why did Russian's not drink and develop a gene that allowed them to have a tolerance ten times higher of any other population. Well the answer is that alcohol is poison, no matter what quantities it is consumed in. It causes scarring of the brain. In addition, men are somewhat fortunate as the sperm of a male updates every year and a half to three years. The women might not be so lucky. Since women are born with a discrete number of eggs, this becomes the real game of "Russian Roulette." There is no way to one hundred percent predict, without of course altering the process of a person being born, which egg will combine with which sperm.

(i) The most lethal combination is therefore poisoned sperm and poisoned egg. Never the less, even if a man that has not once drank a drop of alcohol in his life had a child with a woman that did, there is a chance that the child will turn out to not be alright.

(j) People that go to church weekly begin consuming alcohol on a regular basis as it is introduced since baptism.

(k) One of the primary tasks of the Knight Templar was the establishment of taverns in England. The original one still stands in London and is called "The Dragon's Lair."

There is much more, but I am now weary. I hope this can share some light on the matter.

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 10:12 AM
link   
reply to post by QuestForKnowledge

Wonderful outline!

Alcohol is certainly more harmful than it is helpful -- unlike a certain substance that is allowed to be discussed everywhere except on ATS.

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 10:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Afterthought

Thank you, my dear Afterthought.

I perhaps have an answer to your query: The beings that run this site are brave and at the same time know their limits in terms of just how much they are allowed to divulge.

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 11:26 AM
link   

You could be right, my friend.
Although, I'm still dumbfounded why posts about other types of drugs and the poster's experience(s) are are allowed to remain. Seems mighty suspicious to me.
Anyways, regarding alcohol, I used to bartend and have seen how it brings out the worst in people. One of the biggest misconceptions in society is that you have to worry about drunk drivers being on the road after dark. The truth is that the worst drunks are on the road around noon.

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 02:52 PM
link   
It's poison. Period. It's bad for you. You can OD on it.

But, it's fun to get stupefied.

So there you have it.

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 09:04 PM
link   

So,basically, Christianity created all of of the drunks in the world.
Totally buy into it.
Where else could you go and pay a dollar at a catholic church picnic,spin the wheel and win a bottle of liqueur or a case of beer.
Think I was 16 years old then.

new topics

top topics

join