It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The republicans need a serious overhaul in strategy.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 09:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere
reply to post by Jaellma

See, this I dont understand.

On who does door-knocking work? What voter is swayed by the mythical "ground game?"

If the ground game is not mythical the fact that so many can me manipulated by door to door salesmen further illustrates the reality that there is no difference.

Is it an informed voter who takes a sales pitch phone call and decides on a candidate?

Maybe I just cant fathom the perspective of the typical American. Could be that level of simplistic stupidity is beyond my comprehension.

The sway is not in "who to vote for" but to get out and actually vote. Poli Sci 101

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 09:32 AM
link   
reply to post by AwakeinNM

A valid point about Paul. Also, the primaries were kind of won by default by Romney more due to faults of his opponents. The leader in the primary kept bouncing around as the party tried to find anyone but Romney.

It kind of went..
"We want Bachmann!!" then "Oh, she's crazy.."
then..
"We want Perry!!" then "Oh, he's stupid.."
then...
"We want Cain!!" then "Oh, he's a womanizer.."
then..
"We want Newt!!" then.. "Oh.. yeah..he's Newt.."
then..
"We want Santorum!!" then "Oh..yeah.. he's angry, bitter, and kinda crazy.."
then..
"We want Romney..umm.I guess.. if there is nobody else." ...

Romney got the nomination by default due to issues with the others in the field. Its hard to win the office from that spot.
They gotta do better and picking a team to put in the game. Seriously, it is pretty sad if this pack was the best they could field.

edit on 7-11-2012 by Frogs because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 09:32 AM
link   
Personally I really hope the GOP believes they lost because they weren't conservative enough... that would make my next 8 years!

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 09:48 AM
link   
The GOP is simply out dated; Shrinking demographic, lame social conservatism that most young people reject.

And they never take personal responsibility in elections but just come on with the crybaby whining and finger pointing.

To put it simply the Republicans need to "man up" or just dissolve the party into the social conservatives and moderates.

I joined the Libertarians from the GOP because the party was taken over by religious fanatics.

And you can't run a campaign on "I'm not Obama"

Get a platform or get lost. And get rid of Rush as the spokesman and ersatz leader of the GOP he's not winning any converts.

edit on 7-11-2012 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 09:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Jeremiah65

www.theblaze.com...

moral majority crap

Actually, and I am going to stick by my observation, many including the black community, the Muslim community, and the Hispanic community are more conservative than the conservatives, they don't approve of gay marriage or abortion yet they vote democrat.

edit on 093030p://bWednesday2012 by Stormdancer777 because: (no reason given)

edit on 103030p://bWednesday2012 by Stormdancer777 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 09:56 AM
link   
They'll need to be more appealing to those minorities/parts of the population, it probably means that they will have to distance themselves from the far-right wing and/or picking ideas from the democrat hat.

I guess there is three paths for the GOP right now :

- Status quo : keep a strong far-right trend, gridlock and wait for Obama's presidency to end in hope that the next posterboy in 2016 will be more popular than Romney and thus takes advandage of a possible weaker opponent.

- Chose & pick : keep the GOP lines, pick the more popular ideas among liberals and tweak them a little bit to be more appealing to the republicans so you'll keep the base and bring floating voters in.

- Schism : either the far-right or the moderates split with the majority to create a new party and thus leaving republicans with the choice between a more radical party and another that'll lean more toward the center of the political spectrum.

I think the first one is a dead end, the economy will most probably go up during the next four years and the democrats will take advandage of that, plus the demographic trend won't change and that's not particularly good for the GOP. The last one doesn't seem likely either, it's still too difficult to be heard if you're not labelled R or D and I don't see that changing in the next four years.

edit on 7-11-2012 by BobbyTarass because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 10:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Frogs

it is pretty sad if this pack was the best they could field.

None of those choices would have been any worse then what we ended up with for four more years, time will tell, but now with no election looming over Obama's head and no constraints I can only imagine what he will do.

But yes, Republicans eat their young.

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 10:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Stormdancer777

They are conservatives within themselves as a community, not in a political level. The reason they go Democrat is because the conservatives or rather the republicans don't give a hoot about the minorities. The biggest flaw.

The minorities is going to increase and they better reach them out somehow or they going to keep the losing streak.

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 10:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by HunkaHunka

The sway is not in "who to vote for" but to get out and actually vote. Poli Sci 101

That is even more confusing.

I cant imagine me sitting in my home going about my business and having somebody knock on my door and say "You need to go do this!" and me actually doing it.

People must be pretty pliable to let unsolicited phone calls and door knockers get any reaction other than hang ups and slams.

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 10:08 AM
link   
reply to post by luciddream

I personally think it goes deeper than that, I believe they choose to use the democratic party as a means to an end, both politicians and constituents using each other to accomplish a goal, secretly the goal they are both chasing is not a common goal.

History tells us that the Democratic party was not in tune with the Republicans when it came to black rights, but eventually they saw they could use them,

Trust me, it will eventually get very ugly, when they all start to turn on one another, the pendulum always swings.

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 10:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Stormdancer777

Actually, and I am going to stick by my observation, many including the black community, the Muslim community, and the Hispanic community are more conservative than the conservatives, they don't approve of gay marriage or abortion yet they vote democrat.

I'll let you in on a little secret. The reasons why African Americans, Latinos, young people, women, other folks from different religions generally vote democrat:

1) Natural affinity. They see folks like themselves voting democrat so they follow suit.
2) The democratic message embraces individuality, inclusiveness, diversity, etc. From gay marriages to women's health issues and education, the democratic message is easier to dissect and understand and heavily promoted.
3) Perception (notice i said perception) that the republican party is a safe haven for folks with racist and bigoted attitudes.

The republican party needs to start modeling itself after the democratic party in terms of messages, values, tolerance, and overall demographics. Until this happens, don't hold your breath for any republican victories. They need to start NOW instead of waiting until the elections to move center with issues. The American public are too smart for that.

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 10:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Jaellma

The Republican party needs to do a few things

1. Stop voting numb-skull Senate candidates in the primaries. If they would have took the best politician available in the last two elections, the republicans would have had probably 5 more seats in the Senate if not more. We really have let some second rate candidates compete for Senate seats, that needs to stop. Harry Reid would have been a MSNBC analyst this election had we done this. GRAVE STRATEGIC / TACTICAL ERROR.

2. Get off our immigration high horse. We need meaningful immigration reform that will work. We lost the Latino vote mainly because of that and how Democrats painted it. Latino's are going to be the largest increasing voter bloc in the foreseeable future, you need to take their needs into account if you want to have them vote for you. Whichever party champions real immigration reform and makes it happen, will go a long way towards securing the bulk of the Latino vote for decades. Who ever does this will dominate the political landscape.

3. Get better grassroots campaign basics going. We the Republicans, just don't do a better job at getting our base out then the Democrats do, that needs to improve.

4. Give some Republican women a chance to shine in the spotlight. We need someone to be that person, we have some potential people, they need to be encouraged, cultivated to rise to those roles. We need to stop being the Augusta Golf Club when it comes to Republican leadership.

5. Try to court African Americans. Chances are, the Dems won't nominate another African American candidate again in 2018, that leaves an opportunity available to make inroads. It probably won't be a lot, but it will chip into a Democrat advantage.

6. Stay Budget focused and job / small business supporting. At the same time, they have to show flexibility at getting the big parts of their ideas enacted into law while working with the Obama Administration. It's probably the hardest of the things to do, especially if both sides don't play nice.

7. Don't be the "Bad Cop" of the upcoming Medicare and Social Security reform. Those reforms need to have very broad bipartisan support so neither side can be signaled out as the one who hates Seniors.

Republicans can still get their base but need to chip away at the base of Democrat party.

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 10:20 AM
link   
Face it we are all just pawns,

What makes some think the Republicans and the Democrats are not in cahoots?

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 10:43 AM
link   
as a person that voted for Obama, the republicans should in future elections:

1...keep up the fight to cut taxes for the wealthy
2...keep up the fight to cut regulations on businesses
3...keep up the fight to ban abortions
4...keep telling the poor "you're on your own"
5...keep trying to dissolve unions
6...keep trying to privatize social programs
that way you will hold true to your convictions.

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 10:48 AM
link   

Catholics favoring Obama by 52 to 45 percent.
Obama held onto his advantages among Catholic and Jewish voters. He won 70 percent of the Jewish vote, down from 78 percent in 2008, and he won Catholic voters 50 percent to 47 percent. Romney carried Protestant voters by a 13-point margin, 56 percent to 43 percent

www.politico.com...

Obama prevailed among the two minority groups that supported him in large numbers in 2008: Latinos and African Americans.

Ninety-three percent of African-American voters backed Obama, while just 6 percent who backed Romney. Turnout among the demographic remained steady at 13 percent of the overall electorate.

Obama’s support increased with Hispanic voters: he won 69 percent of the demographic, compared with 29 percent for Romney. That 40-point deficit is slightly higher than his 36-point victory among Hispanic voters in 2008.

And the president saw higher backing among Asian voters, who sided with him by a 49-point margin, 74 percent to 25 percent. The margin was 27 points in 2008.

Read more: www.politico.com...

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 10:51 AM
link   
You're right, the GOP do need an overhaul..they can start by getting rid of and sending to prison all those high ranking officials who nobbled Ron Pauls nominations...if they hadn't decided (long before any nominations) that pathological liar Romney should be the guy, Ron Paul would now be getting ready to get into the white house.

Cheats never prosper.

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 10:52 AM
link   
if they would have put ron paul on the gop ticket i think things would have been a lot different....just saying

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 11:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Jaellma

I agree that their current "strategy" of attempting to lie their way to victory needs to be changed. Strategy is nothing more than a plan of action designed to achieve victory. IMO, not only is their strategy fatally flawed, so is their social ideology and I don't see the GOP being a viable political party unless their social views are radically changed.

A good place for them to start would be for them to accept the reality that "facts" do not have two sides and you can no longer lie your way into the Presidency of the U.S.. This election was not just a win for Obama, it was a win for truth and integrity as well.

Here are a few other areas that need "change" within the GOP, like acceptance of these obvious facts;

1. People are more important than money.
2. Corporations are not people.
3. Global warming is real.
4. Moral values are Not exclusive to the GOP.
5. Rights are just that, "Rights." They are not exclusive to any gender, race, sexual orientation or economic class.
6. American women will not tolerate having their healthcare choices limited by old men and religious zealots in Congress.

I could go on but I won't.

Personally, I believe that the biggest dilemma the GOP will have to face in the future is one of "trust." The lies and hypocrisy demonstrated by the current day GOP will take a lot of time to overcome and I have serious doubts about whether or not time even has the ability to heal this wound. Right now, I don't see myself ever voting republican again, that could change but I doubt it.

edit on 7-11-2012 by Flatfish because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 11:36 AM
link   
Perhaps after the GOP tears itself apart after this election; they can start to get more mainstreme and stop the politics of hate and division ala Rush Limbaugh, Hannity, Savage, Coulter. People are sick and tired of the "people like you" label if you arent a conservative.

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 12:03 PM
link   
Here's why the republicans Lost

Axiom 1: A constituency-coalition strategy favors the incumbent

Axiom 2: Ideological campaign favors the challenger.

This election most resembled the 2004 election. In both cases, the incumbent had serious baggage ( an unpopular war in 2004, an unpopular economy in 2012) and appealed to enough constituents to keep a majority--one that looked stronger than in their original campaign ( Bush increasing his lead among evangelicals, Obama increasing his lead in Hispanics). In both cases, the challenger couldn't differentiate himself from the incumbent. Kerry's famous "I was for the war, before I was against it" correlates with Romney's "I was for healthcare reform in my state, just not in the nation." Both challengers let themselves be painted as wafflers or flip-floppers.

In 2012, Romney was afraid to run a truly ideological campaign, because he was afraid that republican constituencies (big business, social conservatives) would be alienated if articulated a clear vision--which his enemies would call a strident vision.

Republicans need to look at when they have won as out-of-power challengers: 2000, 1980, 1968. In those elections, the candidate articulated a strategic plan for governing. In each of those campaigns, pundits within the party said he was abandoning key voter blocs.

The fact of the matter is that republics (like the democrats) win big when they run on ideas. You cannot carry new ground with a patchwork of identity groups.

The key to winning is to cut across your opponent's constituencies. Obama did this in 2008--he got whites to vote for him, he got people in the midwest to vote for him. Last night, he won with a successful rearguard action, which Romney shouldn't even have been contesting---he should have been articulating his "big idea." The trouble was, he really couldn't articulate the real differences, without alienating some of his own.

So what does the Republican party need to do?

Pare down it's platform so that members of any US constituency can be a republican. Then ask themselves:
how can we articulate this so that I can be a republican if I am a jew, a muslim, a man, a woman, an immigrant, gay; student or business owner?

When they can come up with that agenda, then they cut across ALL constituencies and win big.

Just like the democrats when they have won big. (2008 is an example...._)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join