It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The republicans need a serious overhaul in strategy.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 07:29 AM
link   
What's next for the republican party?

If I had to wager an answer, it would mean they must, must change their demographics going forward. The republican party is too white, not inclusive and sexist. They were warned many years ago to start their overhaul but they have failed to make serious inroads.

Let me say it now and loud: unless the republicans change their strategy they WILL NOT win another election in the foreseeable future.

Obama wiped the floor when it came to the Latino vote, especially in Florida. They campaigned hard and stayed steady. Kudos to David Plouffe for being hands down the best campaign organizer I have ever seen.

Yeah, there is Marco Rubio to push with in 2016 but he is only 1 man. They not only need to use talent like him but also reach out to the Latino community and the women voters.

I think the republicans are sitting on a gold mine in terms of opportunity but they are just stuck in a horrible paradigm and change cannot come quickly enough for them.
edit on 7-11-2012 by Jaellma because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 07:34 AM
link   
Republicans don't need to overhaul anything. The United States is upside down.

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 07:37 AM
link   
And yes, I'm an ethnic minority. I didn't come to America to change it. I came here because I loved it.

+3 more 
posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 07:38 AM
link   
If they didnt go around sounding like members of the Westboro Baptist Church... It would be a start.

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 07:40 AM
link   
The Republicans need to return to the Big Tent party of Reagan. They need to accept a wide variety of conservatives instead of driving them away with claims of RINO. A party that attracts moderates instead of driving them away.

Yet, we will likely hear them claiming they weren't conservative enough. That somehow a portion of the population that voted for Obama would come running to the Republicans if they were even farther to the right. More denial of the reality.

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 07:43 AM
link   
Why do they need to change?

If they change then their winning would be meaningless since they would have won on their changed principles.

Which would mean that elections are nothing more than rooting for your favorite team.

People seem to like choosing between war mongering, drone striking, liberty killing, prohibitionist tyrants.

Giving them any other option would be pointless.

Ideally they would just consolidate and stop pretending they are two different parties but then the nation of idiots wouldnt get their little entertainment every couple of years.

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 07:47 AM
link   
I agree, this was being stated over and over in the poll results last night, with clear divides in society. Their biggest problem is that the younger generations do not trust them one little bit, so as long as they carry on down the same draconian, religious, sexist, homophobic path they will increasingly loose out every time until they are completely irrelevant.

The fundamental problem is a clear one for me, Republicans want to rule, and they want to rule just for republicans. Democrats are more inclined to govern, and they govern for the majority of the people, not just democrats. This is made clear when you look at their policies and vocal opinions on all kinds of issues. The personal freedoms of people and their equality in society should not even be up for debate, but the Republicans use this all the time, bullying others, dictating how people should all follow their religious and moral ideals when it should be none of their business.

This is the problem imo. People don't want to elect people who only want to make a country for the people who agree with them, they want to elect a fair, modern leader who states that all Americans are equal and deserve the same governance.

The Republican party has failed because they cling to the same dictatorial attitudes every time, and more and more people are moving further and further away from that draconian thinking.

The question is, will the Republican party change? I don't think they will. There are too many extremists in the party, too many old bible bashing homophobes and racists, too many idiots with barely two brain cells to rub together. Just look at what they did this year with the voting at the RNC, the extremist element in the party doesn't give a rats ass about their own party faithful.

This could go one of three ways in my opinion. Either the Republican party will continue the way it has, and continue to loose ground to the Democrats. Or, they'll become more extreme and actually become a threat to the stability of the nation. Or, and this is the most likely scenario, the more centre right element will leave the Republican party and form something new, a viable competitor for the Democrats based on fiscal opinion rather than religious or social ideals.

The Conservative party in the UK re-branded itself as a more tolerant and liberal party (at least on the outside) and was somewhat successful (in increasing the idiot voter who trusted their BS), but they didn't have the fanatical element the Republican party has.

I think we'll see a new party, with a focus on the economic but without the influence of religion and the big corporations - assuming that can happen without such influence.

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 07:47 AM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

So then, tell me why Romney lost. Why did he lose after campaigning sooooo hard? Why didn't the Latinos bite on his message? Why didn't the independents come over and vote en masse for him?

Was it his fault or just the message and overall soundbytes from his fellow party folks?

Where did they go wrong?

How was Obama able to basically run all over Romney when the world was conned into thinking the race was oh so close?

Please tell me.

edit on 7-11-2012 by Jaellma because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 07:48 AM
link   
It's their own primary that kills them during the actual election.

This year, we had literally a group of people in a race to who could be the most extreme to the right. Voters don't forget that.

From drill baby drill to privatizing SS and killing PP, these things are nowhere close to how the average American thinks. Only a fraction of Americans think that way, and in an attempt to win their own base they are removing themselves from reality.

Science is not evil and burning fossil fuels indeed affects the climate.

The Republican party would do well to endorse those facts.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 07:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by alternateuniverse
Republicans don't need to overhaul anything. The United States is upside down.

The US is what it is. You have to face the reality of the situation. If the US is "upside down", how do you know it's not just you who is upside down?

If the majority think and feel in a specific way, who are you to tell others they are all wrong? This is how voting works, the majority pick someone who represents them and their beliefs. Therefore, the idea that everyone else is wrong is complete nonsense.

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 07:51 AM
link   
reply to post by detachedindividual

This could go one of three ways in my opinion. Either the Republican party will continue the way it has, and continue to loose ground to the Democrats. Or, they'll become more extreme and actually become a threat to the stability of the nation. Or, and this is the most likely scenario, the more centre right element will leave the Republican party and form something new, a viable competitor for the Democrats based on fiscal opinion rather than religious or social ideals.

I believe you hit the nail on the head on the possible alternatives this party now faces. It has become this evident.

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 07:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jaellma

So then, tell me why Romney lost. Why did he lose after campaigning sooooo hard? Why didn't the Latinos bite on his message? Why didn't the independents come over and vote en masse for him?

Was it his fault or just the message and overall soundbytes from his fellow party folks?

Where did they go wrong?

How was Obama able to basically run all over Romney when the world was conned into thinking the race was oh so close?

Please tell me.

Did he? Popular vote is 50/50. Means there was virtually no difference between the two.

Electoral votes rely on mob mentality and high population densities which perform like a hive mind. The only reason those areas went for Obama is because he is familiar. Voting for incumbents is easy. Requires no thought and you feel like you did something. As evidenced by the success of dynasty politicians.

A 50/50 split means there was no clear choice. One big shade of tyrannical grey.

It's Coke v Pepsi, McDonalds V Burger King, Budweiser v Coors.

No discernible difference, easily swallowed by the majority and when compared to less popular options are crap.
edit on 7-11-2012 by thisguyrighthere because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 07:54 AM
link   

So those areas went to him because he was "familiar". Is that all you and other republicans have to say? What about the strategy to become more familiar with those areas? What about setting up more bases and camps in places like Ohio and Florida? What about the last minute move by Romney going into Pennslyvania? Was that a good move or an unfortunate strategical decision?

Just fess up and admit they were manhandled, outmaneuvered and out-planned by a better run campaign, regardless of how you see it.

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 07:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere
Did he? Popular vote is 50/50. Means there was virtually no difference between the two.

Electoral votes rely on mob mentality and high population densities which perform like a hive mind. The only reason those areas went for Obama is because he is familiar. Voting for incumbents is easy. Requires no thought and you feel like you did something. As evidenced by the success of dynasty politicians.

A 50/50 split means there was no clear choice. One big shade of tyrannical grey.

But how much of that is because he wooed the people and watered down his religious and social ideas after gaining the support from the extreme right in his party?

However you look at it, when you read the numbers it is clear that the Republican party is not gaining any ground with women, minorities, the undecided and youth. The youth vote is increasing, so they cannot continue to live in the dark ages and expect all these modern thinking young people to suddenly vote for them based on one issue when they disagree with everything else.

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 08:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Jaellma

See, this I dont understand.

On who does door-knocking work? What voter is swayed by the mythical "ground game?"

If the ground game is not mythical the fact that so many can me manipulated by door to door salesmen further illustrates the reality that there is no difference.

Is it an informed voter who takes a sales pitch phone call and decides on a candidate?

Maybe I just cant fathom the perspective of the typical American. Could be that level of simplistic stupidity is beyond my comprehension.

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 08:03 AM
link   
reply to post by detachedindividual

Romneys or Republicans pushing of religious and moral nonsense is no different than Obamas or the Democrats pushing of equality and safety nonsense.

Both are fantasies sold to little tyrants who get off on telling their neighbors how to live their lives.

The religious zealot harping on abortion is no better or worse than the nanny state zealot screaming about guns or wealth redistribution. They're both small time dictators looking for an outlet to satisfy their emotional instability.

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 08:03 AM
link   

I just wanted to point out that it's currently 50/48. A portion of the population voted for 3rd party candidates or write ins.

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 08:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kaploink

I just wanted to point out that it's currently 50/48. A portion of the population voted for 3rd party candidates or write ins.

Im one of them.

I noticed Montana has the highest percentage for Gary Johnson of any state. 2.9% last I checked.

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 08:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Jaellma

Why don't you stop deflecting issues. Obama is doomed for failure.

Obama 1st term: Unemployment 7.9% to 7.8% (125,000 net jobs created)

Obama 2nd term: Unemployment 7.8% to 7.7% (125,000 net jobs created)

Add to that:

Fiscal Cliff

Add to that:

Sequestration

Add to that:

Obamacare

Add to that:

5 Obama Supreme Court Appointments

Yeah, the problem is not the GOP. It's Obama's.

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 08:07 AM
link   

The facts are great. It is always good to know the facts but the one element that the republicans seem to not have noticed and taken advantage of is human perception. Currently, they are viewed as bullies and extremists in many instances. Whether that is true or not, it doesn't really matter in the great scheme of things.

Perception is reality and I don't see the republicans getting under it quickly enough. Again, women, young people and minorities are becoming more vocal and are increasingly participating in these elections. The republicans have failed to capitalize on these demographics. You can spin it however many ways you want to, the numbers don't lie.

It is not about the popular vote. You know that. I know that. Their strategy sucks and until it changes, you will never see another republican sitting in the White House. It's that simple.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join