It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Puerto Rico has voted to join the union. It is to be the 51st state after congressional approval, ma

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 06:32 AM
link   

Puerto Rico has voted to join the union. It is to be the 51st state after congressional approval, making it the first to do so in 53 years.

www.sodahead.com

Puerto Ricans faced a fundamental question on Election Day: Should they change their ties with the United States?

Citizens in the U.S. island territory cannot vote in the U.S. presidential election, but many were excited to participate in a referendum on whether to push the territory toward statehood, greater autonomy or independence.

Car horns blared and party flags waved after polling stations closed following what election officials said was a high voter turnout. During the day, many voters carried umbrellas against the blistering tropical sun as temperatures neared 90 degrees Fahrenh
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
news.nationalpost.com
www.ceepur.org
www.ceepur.org

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 06:32 AM
link   
I saw this mentioned in one of the election threads, but the search says there's no independent threads for the subject. Therefore, I'm feeling the need to make one.

This is a pretty big deal that seems to be getting next to no attention in the news. I realize that yes, congress still needs to rubber-stamp this vote, but holy crud, a good possibility for a 51st state? I never thought I'd see it in my lifetime!

What are the overall odds of this actually happening? The view seems to be mixed, coin-toss odds, if you will. I'm not exactly well-versed in this area at all, so I'm not sure how this would work from start to finish in making a new state in the nation besides the congress voting it.

I know there's going to be people jumping on the anti-statehood bandwagon for a variety of reasons, but come on, these are US citizens in a US commonwealth. They have the right to be a state like the rest of us. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for them.

www.sodahead.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

+13 more 
posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 06:35 AM
link   
Why not give them statehood? They are American citizens. I fully support their desire for statehood.

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 06:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Nyiah

Wow! The last state was added in fifty nine, so its been a while. I very much hope that this choice works well for both Puerto Rico, and the USA. Hopefully the blistering weather and gorgeous scenery will add among other things, a wonderful tourist trap to the US's already formidable collection of gorgeous landscapes.

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 06:41 AM
link   
So whats the new flag of America going to look like?

edit on 7-11-2012 by PhoenixOD because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 06:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by DarthMuerte
Why not give them statehood? They are American citizens. I fully support their desire for statehood.

Geopolitics.

State to state travel and zero duties for shipping from somewhere in a different region. Similar to Alaska and Hawaii only that Alaska only has bears around and Hawaii is in the middle of the Ocean. Puerto Rico having statehood would be a direct pipeline in and out of the Caribbean. Interesting, although the thought is a little strange.

Heck, Dominican just has a grass hut for a customs center.

Imagine federal programs, agencies, etc all being incorporated into the Caribbean.

Am I the only one who thinks this might turn out bad?

+26 more 
posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 06:45 AM
link   
Poor Puerto Rico.

Somebody should stop them from making a huge mistake.

Maybe we can trade? They can become a state and my state can be set free?

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 06:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by PhoenixOD

Probably a star layout like this:

I could see a possible star design out of those stars, too. Arrange all the stars in to one huge star, that would be pretty cool. (I'm not artsy-fartsy enough to try it, though)

Edit: I just realized my 9-11 alternations there. That was not intentional, no conspiracy remarks needed

edit on 11/7/2012 by Nyiah because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 06:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by boncho

Geopolitics.

State to state travel and zero duties for shipping from somewhere in a different region. Similar to Alaska and Hawaii only that Alaska only has bears around and Hawaii is in the middle of the Ocean. Puerto Rico having statehood would be a direct pipeline in and out of the Caribbean. Interesting, although the thought is a little strange.

Imagine federal programs, agencies, etc all being incorporated into the Caribbean.

Nope . . .

I'm with you. Although I'm not sure how the current picnic basket of social goodies is spread around Puerto Rico, nor do I have an understanding of how those programs are funded, but I can see a whole bunch more mouths around the dinner table waiting to be fed, so to speak.

Where does the money come from.

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 06:56 AM
link   
cool...we need a tie-breaker

It will be interesting to see what happens. Next...Cuba.

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 06:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by GoalPoster

Originally posted by boncho

Geopolitics.

Nope . . .

I'm with you. Although I'm not sure how the current picnic basket of social goodies is spread around Puerto Rico, nor do I have an understanding of how those programs are funded, but I can see a whole bunch more mouths around the dinner table waiting to be fed, so to speak.

Where does the money come from.
More, and massively more, debt. Where else? It is the American way.

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 06:58 AM
link   
I figured they would do this this it was only a matter of time. With that said I support them. Why shouldn't they be a state?

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 07:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Nyiah

I am Puertorrican, I will say that congress will no approve, why? because this is been going on since the 70s and the only way that congress will take the PR statehood is if the population vote more than 60% pro.

Sadly the congress do not want a state that could have a high rate of division and that is why it has failed in prior elections.

So, if congress doesn't change their mind is not going to happen and so far it has failed two times.

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 07:09 AM
link   
well that sucks. Just what we need. A whole new people to suck the life out of the system more than they do already as a quasi state with no obligations of return. What is PR going to offer the union? Sugar cane exports? Oh wait they don't produce enough. RUM?

I know a dangerous and violent vacation spot. That's it.

Great.
edit on 7-11-2012 by manykapao because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 07:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by PhoenixOD

I think the new star would have to be an in-game purchase. For an extra 99 cents, you get a single star (one size only) which you can then sew on to your flag wherever you want. It's time the flag-making world learned something about online monetizing.

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 07:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
reply to post by Nyiah

I am Puertorrican, I will say that congress will no approve, why? because this is been going on since the 70s and the only way that congress will take the PR statehood is if the population vote more than 60% pro.

Sadly the congress do not want a state that could have a high rate of division and that is why it has failed in prior elections.

So, if congress doesn't change their mind is not going to happen and so far it has failed two times.

Is this the kind of 60% majority vote you mean? If so, this is 61% in favor of statehood.
www.ceepur.org.../default/OPCIONES_NO_TERRITORIALES_ISLA.xml
I've been doing a lot of article reading trying to find more information, this is the statistic everyone keeps using for the majority needed. If something's been misinterpreted somewhere, could you explain the process a little better?

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 07:26 AM
link   
One more state and maybe the USA will finally be playing with a full deck.

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 07:46 AM
link   
I read in "Cracking the Code 3rd Edition ",that Puerto Rico is the real location of the FED.

Could be a good thing,could be a bad thing,could be a non-thing.

I will have to look into this further.

And for those of you who know the text I am referring to,I know it is a flawed method.

I just remember it stating that for some reason....

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 07:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Nyiah

According to the first link provided in the op, only 53% voted to change their relationship with the US, and of those 53%, 65% voted to become a state. I don't know the rules on this 60% majority deal, but it seems to me that they're well below that 60%.

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 07:58 AM
link   
idiots.... they should have voted for independence....

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join