It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

PLEASE tell me this is NOT true......?!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 05:09 AM
link   
Watch the attached clip..................... its about a UAV called a Raven....?

www.boreme.com...

Is the video accurate........?
Is it really done like this.....?
Is it any wonder why money just vanishes.....?

There must be a better way.....?

Regards

PDUK

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 05:17 AM
link   
reply to post by PurpleDog UK

$35k heck it looked like a childs science project

HHHmmm maybe we should go into the drone making business

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 05:23 AM
link   
Nope, can not watch it!

So no comment.

P

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 05:25 AM
link   
Rumsfeld: "According to some estimates we cannot account for some 2.3 trillion dollars"

Soldier: "Actually sir, we can. Unfortunately we crash landed about 650 million drones"

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 05:29 AM
link   
I would do some research on the price if I were you, $35k seems a bit too much when I could buy something similar in a toy store. Then again it'll have surveillance equipment and stuff.

Originally posted by pheonix358
Nope, can not watch it!

So no comment.

P

Seems a bit pointless to post a comment then...

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 05:30 AM
link   
The raven drone a handlanched drone intended for field use.. Its intent is ground soldiers to use for near by recon.

Its remote controled so i am not sure what the person with the controls up to in that video.

Also keep in mind the equiptment streams back to a monitor in the field... I imagine the remote, equiptment, monitor etc all custom made and included in the price and i would imagine its got quite a bit further range then anything any of you can put together from hobby lobby lol
edit on 7-11-2012 by Resurected because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 05:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by Resurected
The raven drone a handlanched drone intended for field use.. Its intent is ground soldiers to use for near by recon.

Its remote controled so i am not sure what the person with the controls up to in that video.

Also keep in mind the equiptment streams back to a monitor in the field... I imagine the remote, equiptment, monitor etc all custom made and included in the price and i would imagine its got quite a bit further range then anything any of you can put together from hobby lobby lol

Thanks for that detail but from the video clip there surely has to be a more reliable way of launching it to avoid 'costly' mistakes...

regards

PDUK

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 05:41 AM
link   
reply to post by PurpleDog UK

Well, in most places they will be there not many places to take off, hand launch prob the best. These guys might have been kinda screwing around..

Heres some more info.
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8ksQmyzKkU[/url]

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 05:44 AM
link   
This could also be a simple training drone with the same weight as the Raven to teach people how to launch them. It would cost no more then a typical model plane if so.

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 05:45 AM
link   

This could also be a simple training drone with the same weight as the Raven to teach people how to launch them. It would cost no more then a typical model plane if so.

That's a fair point you make........................... just seemed in this 'age of austerity' those chaps were having a bit of a laugh....

Regards

PDUK

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 05:53 AM
link   
While the video reminds me of my model airplane days, what you see is not what you think. Most likely that was the same plane being crashed over and over. At worst they might have to replace the plastic propeller ($3).
The military version has a kevlar fuselage and fiberglass wings.
It was meant to be flown and crashed by idiots without damage.
Replacement parts should be very cheap. And if you compare the system cost to the cost of rehabilitating one injured troop it's dirt cheap.

But still the video is funny in a sad way.
I wonder how many Humvee's are crashed state side each year that we never hear about?

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 06:08 AM
link   
as the above poster said - the raven can crash with minimum damage, the important parts are almost solid state and the rest is detachable for impacts like a toy. You just snap the wings into place and voila, its ready to yet again another "crash". Its almost idiot-proof.

they didnt destroy 3 or 4 ravens on that video.

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 06:13 AM
link   
Looks remarkably similar to my $150 Electrafun XP rc plane I started off flying!
www.modelengines.com.au...

If that UAV is anything like the design on it, the parts are easily repaired or replaced.
I'm assuming the sensors and transceiver makes up the majority of the costs of the unit.

I wouldn't be surprised if the units cost 30k, probably cost an extra 25 million in research and development if you want me to be honest. The defense force are prepared to flog out the money and contractors are more then happy to smile and sell them a toy.

Didn't those bomb disposal units cost at one stage $300,000 each?
There are quite a few video's on youtube of these units getting blown up.

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 10:07 AM
link   
reply to post by SpearMint

well of course it's cheaper than that!!

They say "we spent this much on this thing" but really 3/4 of the money has been spent on a "black budget" they do not want anyone to know about.

And videos like this prove it. this says "here's your tax dollars being spent"
You get what you vote for!

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 10:08 AM
link   
reply to post by FraternitasSaturni

yeah, you have to be almost an idiot to join the army.

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 12:41 PM
link   
It looks like they're just handing off these drones to guys that are completely inexperienced and clueless.

So what should be happening?

The command in charge of these troops which are responsible for the drones should require that they go to the nearest R/C hobby club's flying field for a weekend to recieve training. They should be able to learn everything they need to know in under 3 hours. I'm willing to bet there are some hobbiests who are also vets that may be happy to provide this training for free. At least then they'd understand how to properly trim an aircraft and how to do a proper hand launch. If this drone is sturdy enough, a wingtip (discus) launch would also be much better and easier to execute in a confined space than the typical overhand throw.

Dunno if they need to spend tax money on that DVD, but it likely has exactly what they need to know. And again, the local flying club nearest to that base is likely to provide that information for free.

edit on 8-11-2012 by pauljs75 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 01:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by PurpleDog UK

Thanks for that detail but from the video clip there surely has to be a more reliable way of launching it to avoid 'costly' mistakes...

regards

PDUK
Just an FYI this seems to be taken at a training facility. These drones are not the expensive field units, but rather stripped down trainers. They are ment to fall a part to aid in quick landings. Even the hobbie versions you can buy at the hobbie shop, they are built to take a licking (so to say).

top topics

join