It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The First Order of Business? - 'The Fiscal Cliff' ?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 06:31 PM
link   
Now we have Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid trying to somehow change the filibuster rules.

He wants to limit the U.S. Senate minority party (currently Republican) power to stop legislation that sometimes goes too far and many times goes against the principals that voters intended to uphold.

Filibusters many times have avoided hidden corruption in legislation.

It sounds like Reid is against all people who voted for Republicans regardless of whether or not ideas and proposed legislation would have positive impacts on the majority of Americans.

I guess his type prefer a single party system by majority default ?

What would that produce ?

Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid said Wednesday that he will try to push through a change to Senate rules that would limit the GOP’s ability to filibuster bills.

Speaking in the wake of Tuesday’s election, which boosted Senate Democrats’ numbers slightly, Mr. Reid said he won’t end filibusters altogether but that the rules need to change so that the minority party cannot use the legislative blocking tool as often.

“I think that the rules have been abused and that we’re going to work to change them,” he told reporters. “Were not going to do away with the filibuster but we’re going to make the Senate a more meaningful place.”

Reid moves to limit GOP filibusters

Green groups said Wednesday that they plan to make Senate rules reform to limit filibusters one of their top priorities heading into the next Congress.

The organizations said they succeeded in their campaign strategy of electing Senate allies as a buffer against legislation from the GOP-dominated House.

But the groups said current Senate rules requiring 60 votes to move beyond a filibuster are untenable and will stunt progress on clean energy and environmental bills.

Senate filibuster reform atop green group priorities

If controversial legislation is so great, why does the opposing party always seem to be against it ?

The U.S. House is majority Republican by voter mandate.

In fact, the House I think gained a few Republican seats this election !!

What does that tell us ?

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 06:46 PM
link   
Obama will win.

He will use an executive order to "fund the parts of government the republicans won't" Then he'll order the treasury to issue the debt to support it.

Like Charles I.

Don't believe me? We'll talk in January....

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 06:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by tovenar

Obama will win.

He will use an executive order to "fund the parts of government the republicans won't" Then he'll order the treasury to issue the debt to support it.

Like Charles I.

Don't believe me? We'll talk in January....

Good Point.

That's exactly what many people fear.....

I think many Cabinet Secretaries will use "extra" powers also.

Some legislation has actually delegated "super power" authority to Administration department heads like HHS.

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 07:02 PM
link   
House Speaker John Boehner has thrown some sticks for the dogs to chase after.

House Speaker John Boehner (R-Ohio) on Wednesday called for “a down payment” on deficit reduction during the lame-duck session of Congress and said Republicans would accept “new revenue” – but not higher tax rates – in a broader agreement next year.

In a press conference at the U.S. Capitol, Boehner congratulated President Obama on his reelection and quickly proceeded to lay down the House GOP majority’s conditions for resolving the stalemate on taxes and spending that Congress must confront in the next two months.

And...a "friendly" reminder............

Boehner has moved swiftly to claim an equal mandate with the president, on the grounds that the same voters who approved a second term for Obama also affirmed a Republican majority in the House.

House Speaker calls for 'down payment' on 'fiscal cliff'

Funny side note:

In a rare sight, the ordinarily off-the-cuff Speaker used a teleprompter for his statement in the most formal of Capitol settings – the Rayburn Room just off the House floor.

And -- "taking a que from Obama himself ?

He took no questions from reporters

edit on Nov-07-2012 by xuenchen because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 07:05 PM
link   
The only thing that will change is they will step on the accelerator harder to head off the Cliff sooner. Most of these idiots don't even think there is a problem the ones that do don't care and think they will somehow end up the Princes of the earth when the dust clears... Buckle up Dorothy because Kansas just went bye bye...

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 07:08 PM
link   
The tax rates will probably go back to the clinton era rates if Obama has his way

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 07:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by thov420
The way I see it is this: The federal government is spending more money than they have. There's only 3 logical ways to fix it. Cut spending, increase revenues, or do both. It sounds to me like increasing taxes and cutting spending simultaneously will have a greater effect than doing only 1 or the other.

At the same time, increasing taxes during a recession isn't a good idea either as it will hamper economic growth. So I'm torn on this issue. I guess we'll have to see what the next 4 years brings us.

Look, cutting spending is going to happen real soon, it is not optional and I am sick of anybody saying it is. Taxes can only be increased a small amount, there is a limit to what can be collected regardless of how high the rates go up. The bond market is going to force cuts and it will happen in the next four years, most likely in the next year. Europe is going to blow up and the illusion a blow up in the US is avoidable will be shattered.

The sooner we start cutting the smaller the fall off the cliff, granted at best at this point we cut 10 feet off a thousand foot drop, but we would still be better off, and more importantly we shorten the time till a real recovery can actually happen.

The only reason they are talking about some weak half measures to reduce the deficit now is they believe that is the only way that the can can continue to be kicked. In other words the politicians are again only operating on what they think is in their best interests, not their constituents.

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 08:45 PM
link   
reply to post by xuenchen

The problem with filibusterer "busting" is that it's a two edged sword. Dems can't be crying when the shoe is on the other foot when Republicans have the majority.

It's a rather moot point given that the Congress is split. The Senate can't do much without the house. Overall it's a tactic that can be done,but it will just make things more toxic in the long run.

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 05:42 PM
link   
The CBO has a few things to say....

They say unemployment will rise and the economy will shrink in 2013 unless the dreaded tax increases and spending cuts set to take effect January 1st are averted.

The Congressional Budget Office offered a sobering assessment of the economic implications of plunging off the fiscal cliff Thursday, just as lawmakers prepare for a fight over taxes and spending.

If Congress and the Obama administration allow scheduled tax increases and spending cuts to occur, the economy will shrink by 0.5 percent in 2013. The unemployment rate would soar to 9.1 percent — up from 7.9 percent today.

The CBO said the outlook would be much more positive if Congress extended some or all of the expiring tax cuts and blocked the $109 billion in spending cuts slated next year for discretionary and mandatory programs.

If Congress blocked the spending cuts and extended all of the expiring tax cuts — except for the payroll tax break — the economy would grow by 2.25 percent next year. Adding the payroll tax cut and an extension of unemployment benefits would nudge the growth closer to 3 percent.
CBO: Fiscal cliff will mean recession, rise in unemployment

Democrats in the past have threatened to let it all fall
related thread Democrats threaten to go over ‘fiscal cliff’ if GOP fails to raise taxes

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 05:49 PM
link   
reply to post by xuenchen

So the CBO would rather just kick the can down the road?????

Sooner or later, we got bills to pay. The longer we wait, the more painful it will be.

I'm sure Congress will try to do exactly what the CBO wants. They make jellyfish look like having more spine than a Congressman or Senator. I have no doubt, out leaders will take the route of least blame and try to do a fifty yard field goal kicking this can.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join