It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bank Axes BNP Accounts

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 20 2004 @ 12:59 PM
link   
The bank HSBC has closed the accounts of the extremist right wing British National Party, this is the second bank to do so (Barclays was the first).
Currently HSBC refuses to comment on why they have closed down the accounts.

Sky News Link

BBC News Link

Although i hate the racist BNP and the false patriotism they represent, you can't just close down a political party's bank accounts because they are racist.

[edit on 20-10-2004 by UK Wizard]

TPL

posted on Oct, 20 2004 @ 01:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by UK Wizard
The bank HSBC has closed the accounts of the extremist right wing British National Party, this is the second bank to do so (Barclays was the first).
Currently HSBC refuses to comment on why they have closed down the accounts.

Sky News Link

BBC News Link

Although i hate the racist BNP and the false patriotism they represent, you can't just close down a political party's bank accounts because they are racist.

Agreed. Im no fan, but this is meant to be a democratic country, and they do represent some peoples views.

[edit on 20-10-2004 by TPL]

posted on Oct, 20 2004 @ 01:17 PM
link   
Why they did something like that? is this party having deals with terrorist or illegal dealings somewhere else?

Isn't UK democratic? it has to be more to the story.

posted on Oct, 20 2004 @ 01:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
Why they did something like that? is this party having deals with terrorist or illegal dealings somewhere else?

Isn't UK democratic? it has to be more to the story.

The British National Party is really the British Nazi Party, basically their political manifisto is that anyone not white and british is evil

The BNP is sadly gaining ground in elections....although i've never met anyone who voted for them

posted on Oct, 20 2004 @ 01:57 PM
link   
Oh, I see that explains a lot, but how in the world UK allowed a group like that to be in the country to begin with.

Are they german nazis decendants? or just people that thinks hitler was a good leader? I don't get it.

posted on Oct, 20 2004 @ 02:01 PM
link   
It has nothing to do with democracy. HSBC is a non government bank. They have the right to refuse business, especially if they believe certain "clients" may damage their reputation.

Lets face it, it has to be bad for business holding BNP money.

posted on Oct, 20 2004 @ 03:00 PM
link   

The BNP is sadly gaining ground in elections....although i've never met anyone who voted for them

- You want to take a few deep breaths and calm yourself Wizard.

The BNP love to create the impression that they're advancing but they are not. The very idea is, frankly, laughable.

The BNP/National Front/Whichever nazi party tends to go in cycles. Do you remember Derek Beackon in London in 1993? Again, distasteful but utterly meaningless - except for the poor residents of east London who had to put up with the creep and his entourage for a little while.

A couple of council elections and a couple of hundred votes (distasteful as it is but, let's not go OTT, that is all that has happened) do not especially worry me or any reasonable observer I'd suggest.

As for the bank?

HSBC is a private company and entitled to refuse anyone's business.

It is not a 'democratic right' to have a bank account.

If the BNP are that pissed off about it let them open their own bank (they are free to do that - if they satisfy the relevant rules).

[edit on 20-10-2004 by sminkeypinkey]

posted on Oct, 20 2004 @ 03:56 PM
link   
ok i've calmed down now

The BNP is getting more and more media coverage, remember all media coverage is good media coverage, not matter what is said about the person/group

I support what HSBC has done, it is their legal right to do so, but the BNP is now seeming as if they are being victimised, some people will sympathse with them (although in small numbers)

The far right is also gaining ground in Germany
News Link

although i can never see the far-right gaining power, their very use of British Patriotism taints the patriotism of those who truely love their country

Do you remember Derek Beackon in London in 1993?

Sorry nope, i was 6
- My interest in politics didn't exist then

posted on Oct, 20 2004 @ 05:49 PM
link   

ok i've calmed down now

The BNP is getting more and more media coverage, remember all media coverage is good media coverage, not matter what is said about the person/group

- Ah well, if you think they have 'profile' you should have been around in the mid - late 1970's. The 'national front' crowd seemed very scary at the time......far more than the BNP have ever done. Trust me.

I support what HSBC has done, it is their legal right to do so, but the BNP is now seeming as if they are being victimised, some people will sympathse with them (although in small numbers)

- There'll always be those that go for the sympathy vote and claim the 'poor me' victim-hood'.

I wouldn't worry too much though, institutions like banks aren't so soft.

The far right is also gaining ground in Germany
News Link

- Again I believe this goes in cycles. I agree that the far right get pretty visible at times but when they really threaten they just ensure the public shake off their lethargy and vote to keep them out (as happened in France with Le Pen in the recent Presidential there).

I have a pal who lives in Germany, has done for years and has a German wife etc etc. He tells me that Germany is a little like the UK and they have a persistent fringe of far right loons (admittedly some quite vicious) and they could not be further from the mainstream. Every time they make another outrage it just energises the sane populace to stand against them. I think just about any rational assessment would agree that they're never going to go back to a 1930's situation.

although i can never see the far-right gaining power, their very use of British Patriotism taints the patriotism of those who truely love their country

- Well that is an unfortunate truth. But to hell with them, who are they anyway?

Do you remember Derek Beackon in London in 1993?....

....sorry nope, i was 6
- My interest in politics didn't exist then :lol

- Fair enough. That's reasonable.

It's just a little indicator that they do from time to time make a little temporary gain and frighten people but the odd council seat is a zillion miles away from a solitary MP which is a few zillion away from any real power.

You see, nothing to really get worked up about.

[edit on 20-10-2004 by sminkeypinkey]

top topics

join