Google Announces Its Most Popular Search Term on Election Day: You're Not Going to Believe It.

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 03:12 AM
link   
reply to post by MRuss

Terrible if true. I don't know if it's Facebook, the vaccination or diet of the past thirty years, etc., but such an example reinforces the rumors of the cerebral limit of people nowadays, especially of the young.

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 03:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by MRuss
reply to post by UnaChispa

You give americans too much credit.

Are you aware of where we rank in test scores compared to the rest of the world?

Probably not.

You are right in that U.S. Test Scores rank low...this is a failing of our Public School system and not the kids. The States and Federal Government have over the last 4 years failed to fix the system and have opted to just throw tons of money at a problem rather than fix the problem at it's source...that being...the TEACHERS!

In any other Job in the Country...if you are not good at what you do...you either loose your job or go out of Business. Not Teaching. Teachers have one job...TEACHING...and if the Kids do not learn it is only one persons fault...their TEACHER! Yet we have poor skilled Teachers with tenure in an intractable position as their Unions will not allow them to be fired for poor performance.

It is also worthy to note that despite the Test Scores...U.S. Workers Rank #1 in the World in Productivity.
Split Infinity

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 03:19 AM
link   
1. The article does not state what the most searched term on election date was, it just said that:

it was dominated on Election Day by political terms, from obvious ones like “what time do polls open” and “where do I vote” to the more basic terms like “election” and “polls.”

2. The statistics were global, I, for example, certainly did not know who was running for precidency, other than Obama and Romney, since I only tuned into American politics on election date. I still don't know who else was running for precidency.

Actually, I thought that this was the second round and Obama and Romney were the only options left, just shows how little I know about American voting system. Having a read of it now the system seems completely rigged. "Electoral College"? I thought America was a democracy. Democracy is when the people vote for the president, and the winner by majority becomes president. If you add an "Electoral College" which decides whether or not the people voted for the "correct" president, and start giving some states more power than others, its called something else.
edit on 8-11-2012 by salainen because: (no reason given)

PS. The title is misleading, Google didn't announce this, and it wasn't the most popular search term, its just a Fox News article with a few Google Trends facts.
edit on 8-11-2012 by salainen because: PS...

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 04:43 AM
link   
We can all just hope that the majority of these searches were meant to inform the searchers of "third" party candidates, instead of the GOP and Democratic Party candidates. If not, WOW! Just wow. How can anyone reach the point of election day without knowing the top two candidates. Even someone who never watches television should have had this knowledge from other places...For instance, people discussing the candidates, the plethora of articles on any major homepage that carries news, newspapers, a few different magazines, etc.

I was thinking a few days ago about how far gone some people in America are at this point, but then I read an article on a major news website about how Romney and the GOP leadership cheated Ron Paul by changing the rules on the floor of the convention. Well, the majority of the comments seemed to be stressing the point that our government is corrupt, and many of our politicians are taking advantage of "we the people." After reading those comments, I started to have a bit more hope that people were waking up. But now, after seeing this is the top search result, I again am thinking we are screwed as a nation...I don't know whether to laugh or cry. Waaahhh. Lol. Both.

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 04:45 AM
link   
reply to post by ~Lucidity

I didn't see any political statement in the op.

A wee bit defensive?

Simple statement on the trend of the day on a search engine.

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 04:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by JiggyPotamus
We can all just hope that the majority of these searches were meant to inform the searchers of "third" party candidates, instead of the GOP and Democratic Party candidates.

I don't see any way of reaching another conclusion given the data. I would say everyone in America with internet access would have found out the top two candidates from one source or another long before the election day (TV, radio, papers, news, conversations etc.) I would also think that a large proportion of people were searching from places outside the US.

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 05:00 AM
link   
reply to post by SplitInfinity

Thank you for having the guts to make a statement against the almighty teacher!

Thought I was alone.

Merit merit merit!

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 05:24 AM
link   
reply to post by FortAnthem

When I clicked the link from the article that parameter was set to the U.S. Probably for my "convenience." When I set if to the whole world, you're right, the chart did not change. When I set it back to the U.S, it still did not change, and when I further selected . and then selected by region, it went to by state and if you hover over the states it breaks it down further. But you're right. the chart doesn't change much.

Originally posted by timetothink

I didn't see any political statement in the op.

A wee bit defensive?

Simple statement on the trend of the day on a search engine.

Defensive about? The fact that someone takes and article entitled "As America votes, America also wonders, 'who's running'?" and then without investigating or thinking logically takes said article at face value and proceeds to use said opinion to further imply that "Americans" are dumb and that the lord needs to help us? Yeah, I'm defensive about spin, bad journalism uncorroborated by any facts, and the convenient use of such an article (opinion) to declare that it actually means something at such a surface level.

Plenty of people worldwide who didn't probably used that search term too and probably didn't get those ahem targeted "he omnipresent radio, TV and Web ads" either. Plenty of other reasons people may have been searching this term or why the term surged this years...kids doing research among them, as someone said, or even just more people with access to Google over the years, as someone else mentioned.I myself used that very search term on election day to see which third party candidates were on the ballot.

And perhaps even some positive inferences could be derived here, such as people taking an actual interest in whose running or becoming more aware.

And, yeah, posting said article in the ELECTION forum and discussing the AMERICAN vote is not political at all.

edit on 11/8/2012 by ~Lucidity because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 06:08 AM
link   
Just 8 percent of voters decided which candidate to support in the past few days, according to early exit polling released by CBS News. Eleven percent of voters made their decision in October, and a full 79 percent of voters decided before then.

I think even if >1 percent didn't know who was running it would translate into big numbers on the search.

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 09:06 AM
link   

The most popular search term on election day was this:

"Who is running for President?"

Yes, the dumbing down of America right before your eyes.

A chart on the Google Trends website shows the skyrocketing popularity of a search for the term, “who is running for president” -- as if it were possible to miss the omnipresent radio, TV and Web ads for Governor Mitt Romney and President Barack Obama.

Lord help us all.

www.foxnews.com...

Bet they all got Obama phones too...

36% of Americans on entitlement v/s 6% just 40 years ago. In half a lifetime, we've gone from "America the Free" to "America the Greed".... our nation's course is now being decided by the entitled free-loaders. They could care less WHO is running the show as long as the tit stays moist.

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 09:09 AM
link   
reply to post by MRuss

wow, thats actually pathetic. I hope that those searches originated from places outside of North America...

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 09:18 AM
link   

The American IQ has dropped significantly in the past 20 years. Okay? That's a fact. Plain and simple.

uhaweb.hartford.edu...

???

Show your source?
edit on 11/8/2012 by banandar123 because: Elaborated on my post.

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 09:24 AM
link   
reply to post by MRuss

You do realize that not everyone watches television or listens to radio, right??

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 09:32 AM
link   
OH I believe it, they reelected Jesse Jackson Jr. who has been undergoing treatment at the Mayo clinic for depression and bipolar disorder for months.

Now
Jesse Jackson Jr. in plea deal talks with feds over fund misuse: sources
www.suntimes.com...

These are the same people that voted Obama, and Obama is cut from the same cloth.

Popularity contest, brought to you by the MSM, chose the cool guy, commercialization of the presidency.

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 09:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by LewsTherinThelamon
reply to post by MRuss

You do realize that not everyone watches television or listens to radio, right??

Obviously, since some questioned during the election cycle never heard of Benghazi.

Oh wait most of the MSM played down that story,
My bad.

They deliberately cover for Obama.
edit on 093030p://bThursday2012 by Stormdancer777 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 09:42 AM
link   
reply to post by gncnew

I'm poor enough to qualify for an "Obama" phone if only I were already accepting some other gov benefit, like medicaid. But I don't accept any of those benefits so I don't get a free phone, I pay for what little phone service I use out of my pocket. Not all poor people are morons, I've done it by choice - and over the last few years I've contributed nothing into the income tax aka the "pay for our immoral wars tax." I don't want a single cent that I generate put into the "blow up the brown people and their innocent families" fund.

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 09:45 AM
link   
Thread title is completely false. The problem with the original chart posted is that it's very misleading in the sense that there is nothing to compare the "Who is running for president" to.

For example, if you compare it to the "obama" or "romney" trends, you will see that the "who is running for president" trend doesn't even leave the bottom bar.

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 09:46 AM
link   
reply to post by gncnew

"America the Free" to "America the Greed"

That's the problem.

They want stuff too, except they want other people to pay for it. What they are to dense to understated is eventually they run out of other peoples money.

It is really not that complicated.

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 09:49 AM
link   

reply to post by Sissel

How is this a whiner thread?

(Congratulations on your spelling of whiner by the way. You've just elevated yourself above most Americans)

I am just posting something interesting Google posted today.

What does it have to do with Obama stealing the election?

Because you're trying to equate the google search with dumb americans and Obama winning.

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 09:49 AM
link   

reply to post by UnaChispa

You give americans too much credit.

Are you aware of where we rank in test scores compared to the rest of the world?

Probably not.

36th in education. Dumb, but not that dumb. You're the one claiming causation because of a correlation. Basic psychology is shaking it's head at you.

new topics
top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join