It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Looks as if Mr Obama has won ... How do you feel about that?

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 07:51 PM
link   
reply to post by TrueBrit

Our current mayor was elected basically the same way Obama was. We had the economic recession hit right as our prior mayor had approved several million for a miniwater park. It would service our county, and often surrounding counties. This obviously is a money maker for us, as they spend money on hotels, restaurants, stores, etc when they come here to use the park. But times got tough, this mayor swore he would scratch the park from the budget, and the masses elected him.

Of course, the money was already in escrow for the construction, so he couldn't stop it if he wanted to. It has been a blessing for our community, as it uses about 1/3 the water that the old olympic sized pool used (important for us right now), and adjoins the best golf course in a 200 mile radius (another project from the prior mayor, an avid golfer who loved the municipal course). Basically, he was elected while times were tough and he promised "change".

Now, most people are mad at him because the reality of his viewpoints runs them wrong. Sometimes I agree with him, sometimes I don't. I will never argue that he is not a true Texas gentleman, and he exudes class. Even when I want to strangle him.

Our area is doing well, like i said, because of oil and wind. We are a focal point for both. The tax base from the windfarms is, by itself, keeping schools in the area afloat during state level budget cuts for education. It made overnight millionaires out of struggling farmers. And may save tax money as less cotton land is subsidized for failed crops.

This small town has exported lots of really top notch talent. I find out that we have alums all over the place. The other day a fairly well known author stopped by to do an interview for a Texas magazine article he's doing. Our business is the visually dominant feature of our landscape, and we are just reopening after it being closed since 1980. So we get a lot of folks stop by to see whats going on, that they have heard about it reopening. Turns out this author is from my town. I hear it all the time. Springer knows my town, for Christs sake! LOL

RE: would I rather have had Romney win from a matter of principle.....not really. I voted for my dog. She is marvelous, and made an excellent write in candidate. Either candidate is fine. You're going to get screwed anyway....it is just a matter of how it will be done.

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 07:56 PM
link   

GOOD !

AND

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 08:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by gnosticagnostic

I have always wondered how the poor can be considered lazy, when they work so hard to remain poor, rather than functionally destitute!

Being poor rarely is caused by laziness. Laziness is caused by lack of engagement. Being poor is caused by lack of insight.

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 08:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by gwynnhwyfar
reply to post by UziXxX

I am anti-obamacare and anti-welfare. Do you know what Obamacare says to me? It tells me I shouldn't go work hard for a paycheck for my family, for my wants, or for my dreams. I should do it so someone can have something for free. Under Obama, success is punished and frowned upon, and being reliant on the government means you're a saint.

Are you just as vehemently against our public school system?

I am, because it is unjust.

What if I want to homeschool my kids....why do i still have to pay?

Why do businesses carry a higher burden of taxation for supporting public schools (in Texas)? Any idea how crippling it is for a hotel to have to pay 1/7 of what it makes in revenue (not profits) for property taxes? It makes it not even worthwhile to have a business that employees a few dozen people.

I am also against the standards being so invasive as to dictate the entirety of the curriculum.

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 08:23 PM
link   

Relieved to no end, that Romney did not win.

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 08:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jerk_Idiot
reply to post by gnosticagnostic

Unfortunately CNN, Fox, NBC, other news services and quite a number of people on here disagree with you. Of course the definition of minority matters and as I have seen repeatedly today it seems that minority is anyone who is not an old white male. That includes you as a minority if you are a female of any color. Add enough minorities together and you have a majority of minorities.
Actually many said rich old white male. This shows how the divisions have been done by Obama. Rich=class warfare. Old=age warfare. white designates race warfare. Male designates sexual warfare. As the pundits on all of the news channels all say the same thing in effect anyone who was not rich, who was young, who was non-white, or was female are declared minorities. Again most said at least earlier in the day that rich old white males are no longer a factor in elections. They seem to be backpedaling at this time though but they also denigrated all those others in the Republican party by saying it was composed ONLY of rich old white men. Young Republicans do not exist, female Republicans do not exist, black Republicans do not exist, Hispanic Republicans do not exist. lol. You are correct in your statement that haters will be haters. Now at least we know who is being set up to be hated.

i am a minority you are correct... but i'm not sure i followed your facetious statement that only old rich white men compose the majority of GOP voters.. which as you are well aware is not the case... a huge section of minority classes are republicans.. just like not every rich white guy is a republican not every poor latina is a democrat... ;op

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 08:24 PM
link   

How do I feel about Obama winning? Sad. Sad because it will make little difference in the direction that this country is headed, but it makes many smart, creative, compassionate people think that it will. It lulls them into a false sense of security.

Most of my friends are young, poor and artistic, and so they are default liberals. They carry loads of white guilt and most of them are afraid to admit that a black guy could do something wrong-that would be racist. So they ignore the NDAA, the plans for 30,000 domestic drones, etc. They cheer Obama for pulling out of Iraq and Afghanistan but they don't know we're doing stuff in Pakistan, Somalia, Uganda, Iran, and Syria.

They're so happy to get Obamacare, but they couldn't tell you the first thing about the impending collapse of the dollar.

Don't get me wrong-I think Romney would have been bad too. But at least the Republican leadership is openly evil. Democrat leaders are more subtle.

I'm also frightened.

Romney would have bombed Iran or backed up Israel when they did so. Obama is more reluctant (at least he was before the election.) If he continues to be reluctant, it means that something horrible will have to happen so that Iran can be bombed. This means a either a false flag, or else Obama will be removed-a scandal....or worse. I'm afraid of that "or worse."

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 08:43 PM
link   
How do I feel? Sick inside. BO is a fraud and worse. Can we spell antichrist? Can't believe people voted for him - again.

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 08:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by gwynnhwyfar
Are you just as vehemently against our public school system?

No, but I am vehemently against wealth redistribution, which is what Obamacare and welfare is. I also firmly believe that we may possibly see a civil war (sounds very "crackpotty" doesn't it?) as 14 states have increased the size of their national guard to combat Obama's NORTHCOM army. I do hope the next 4 years are better than the last 4 years.

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 08:47 PM
link   

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 08:48 PM
link   
reply to post by UziXxX

I does sound extreme. I mentioned it to someone the other day and they visually recoiled as the words rolled off my tongue.

But the military is up in arms about Benghazi. Not sure how much is for show, and how much is real.

I would suspect, however, that any coup would be bloodless for the most part.

A revolution, on the other hand...that would be very bloody. And we have so many groups that could be played against each other. I doubt you would see a "north vs south" scenario, but rather battles erupting within streets.

A revolution will not involve state militias, I don't think. I don't see the US Mil fighting for Obama against US Citizens.

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 08:51 PM
link   

Really depressed.

Friends at work also sad and depressed.

We morn what was and has died a horrible death, what was the USA we knew and loved.

The land of the free and the brave replaced with the land of the dependent and the disfunctional.

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 08:52 PM
link   
Since both major party candidates were virtually indentical in their views and proposed remedies , the outcome of last nights political theatre was anticlimactic in the extreme.

That having been said, I'm glad that the seemingly endless campaigning is finally over. Now I can once again turn the ringer on my phone back on and watch some TV without being bombarded by attack ads from every possible point of view. My junk mail (both physical and electronic) will subside to an almost acceptable level and we can all relax for a few months until it all begins again.

The so-called "campaign season" has stretched to almost 18 months duration and I, for one, am tired of it. The dog and pony show should be time limited by statute and all political ads, both print and video, should carry the following warning:

"Contact your Representative immediately if you experience an election lasting more than 4 months as this may be an indication of a possibly life-threatening side effect!"

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 08:54 PM
link   
Romney was attacked for his 47% comments, even though the jist of what he said was absolutely true. Democrats put the "victim" spin on it to exaggerate what he said, but what he said is absolutely true. 47 % are beholden to the democratic party be it for benefits or racial conformity. Blacks and Spanish voters will vote overwhelmingly for someone of their race and openly state that, but its not considered racial because they are a minority.

We have reached the tipping point where there are more takers than makers and it will never tip back into the Republican favor. Make of that what you will and form your own opinions but it is true and will only get more lopsided to that.

Good luck to Obama... what he just inherited is far worse than what he inherited last time.

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 08:54 PM
link   
The US population is today about 313,000.000.There are about 37 million African Americans in the United States . So essentially a person of a minority that constitutes about 10% of the American population is running the country.

How do I feel about that??

Considering world history where has that ever occured?

Any thoughts?

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 08:56 PM
link   

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 08:57 PM
link   
Obama succeeds at everything. Now 2 major quakes today, rumors of Israel going to war. Is this all Biblical

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 09:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by TrueBrit
Speaking as a British person, I often wonder how Americans feel when these huge elections, in the most powerful nation in the West, finish. How do you feel about this result? I hear that although Obama won the election, the Republicans did enough to make things hell in the senate, and put stumbling blocks in the way of Obamas plans.

How does it feel to live in America during an election year? How did you find your communities during this process? Were they united or highly divided? I would really love to hear the American ATSers veiw of the process, and of the result, so please...

....Your thoughts?

I got mail....tuns of it claiming that each party were insane for weeks up to the election. I am going to save some of it.

The radio bits.....make any sane person want to take a bath or just make you feel like they feel you are a moron.

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 09:17 PM
link   
reply to post by jondave

This idea that some event is biblical, has been an issue since the time the Bible became a part of organized religion.

Uberdavo are you familiar with the increase in drug trade into the US during the Regan Administration?

en.wikipedia.org... aine_traff icking_in_the_US

Any thoughts?

If you have a problem reaching the link....

en.wikipedia.org... aine_trafficking_in_the_US

edit on 7-11-2012 by Kashai because: Added content

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 09:23 PM
link   
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

Hi BFFT!

You have a really cool perspective on all this! I wish we were all in such "rise above" situations where we could look at the elections from a purely intellectual standpoint and nobody in our communities would be hurt. I think that is wonderful, and a success for our country that your community exists!

Anyway, I am also one of those who used to register Republican and changed after 2004. I now consider myself a "blue dog" democrat - I am socially very liberal and fiscally more conservative. My cousins were both home-schooled and are now officers, one graduated from the Air Force Academy and the other from West Point - both are lovely, wonderful people.

I also very much like your comment

I voted for my dog. She is marvelous, and made an excellent write in candidate.

I should have voted for one of mine - but I would have had trouble picking which of the four to choose from!

new topics

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join