It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Man Rundown by National Guard Convoy During Hurricane Relief Effort" (maybe graphic)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 04:14 PM
link   
www.reddit.com...

The backstory:

The National Guard/Army (WARNING: possibly NSFW) ran over and most likely killed a man on Canal St. (Chinatown, New York City) betw. Centre St. and Lafayette St at around 1:15 EST today (November 6th). A convoy of 10 or so trucks were barreling down Canal St. I saw them run one red light, and I think it's pretty safe to say they ran the previous red light as well. The man who was killed looked to be in his 40s or 50s, and judging by the Chinese language newspapers he was carrying, he was probably Asian. His body was halfway under one of the truck tires and it looked like the back of his head got smashed into the asphalt after he was hit. Blood everywhere. EMS arrived in about 7 minutes, tore off his shirt to try to give him CPR. They put his neck in a neck brace, so I'm assuming his neck was broken. After around five minutes they stopped giving him CPR and his body was going into convulsions. It was pretty clear the NYPD was trying to clear all of the witnesses away. They made everyone leave the sidewalk (we weren't blocking foot traffic, so it was actually legal to stand there). They said they were going to spray down the street and we would get wet if we stood there. This never actually happened, no one got wet.

I'm sure everyone involved feels terrible, and I feel pretty bad for whoever was driving, but I have to wonder what kind of accountability they will [or won't] face for breaking traffic laws and hurting/killing someone.
edit on 6-11-2012 by 1825114 because: (no reason given)

edit on 11/6/2012 by tothetenthpower because: --Mod Edit--Removed Graphic Photo.

edit on 11/6/2012 by tothetenthpower because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 04:22 PM
link   
You think she at least roll the truck back of the poor guy, instead of standing there holding her bloody ears no doubt saying to herself, "this is not happening this is not happening"

The guy was probably moaning in pain.

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 04:27 PM
link   
This is so sad, wrong place - wrong time story and then you are no longer

I don't think anybody is accountable because a convoy of that many (army) vehicles is free to run the red light. Maybe the rules are different in USA but i don't think they are.

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 04:32 PM
link   
reply to post by TheMaverick

I don't think she's holding her ears. I think she is trying to hear the cell phone in her left hand

Maybe calling for a medic. Possibly not standing there doing nothing.

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 04:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheMaverick
You think she at least roll the truck back of the poor guy, instead of standing there holding her bloody ears no doubt saying to herself, "this is not happening this is not happening"

I think you are assuming too much here. If the guy went under the truck they wouldn't be giving him cpr and he certainly would not be having convulsions when dead with a truck on top of him. He was probably hit not ran over.

Second, no truck just rolls back over a person. C'mon?

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 04:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Exitt

From the news source it said:

His body was halfway under one of the truck tires and it looked like the back of his head got smashed into the asphalt after he was hit.

So do you just leave the guy with his body trapped under the truck wheel, causing massive blood loss, you can't push it forward or you will kill him, and you're not lifting this truck up, you wouldn't have time.

Plus you need space to give the guy CPR, so yes the faster the truck is moved the faster you could save this guys life.

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 04:48 PM
link   
reply to post by 1825114

It is always the responsibility of the driver, unless there are mitigating circumstances. They were required, under law, just like all other citizens, to drive with care and caution. They clearly were not doing so.

There is seemingly no reason for them to not see the man. The person driving the vehicle is the one responsible for manslaughter.

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 04:57 PM
link   
Original reddit poster makes a lot of assumptions

"10 or so trucks" - where are they? No one else stopped?
Assuming they ran a red light (witnessed one, assumed another)
Assumes his neck was broken. Clearly he was injured, making the leap to this specific injury.
Man in the middle of the road. Where's the crosswalk? How fast was the vehicle traveling? How fast was the ped moving?

Lots of unknowns. Sad story.

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 03:10 AM
link   
reply to post by 1825114

In that picture in your link there are two restaurant store fronts.
He bought his lunch at the one on the left.

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 03:13 AM
link   
reply to post by TheMaverick

Doubt it. Judging by the rice at the far left in the pic, I would say he was hit pretty hard. If he was knocked down and the back of his head hit the pavement, he didn't feel a thing.

new topics

top topics

join