Florida Woman Almost Banned From Voting For Wearing A 'MIT' Shirt

page: 1

join

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 04:11 PM
link   

An elections supervisor in West Boca Raton, Fla. took his job a little too seriously when he tried to kick a voter out of line for wearing a T-shirt with "MIT" written across it.

He thought she was doing a little last minute campaigning for Mitt Romney, according to Bocanewsnow. He was one letter short, actually

I think this guy is a few brain cells short...

www.businessinsider.com...

BocaNewsNow.com has heard from multiple sources that an election supervisor at the polling place ultimately realized that MIT stands for “Massachusetts Institute of Technology” — a school where students tend to know how to spell — and was not a campaign shirt for the Republican candidate, who spells his name MITT."

Whoops.

Can't make this stuff up folks..

Don't have to be head cashier at the walmarts to know that one!!
edit on 6-11-2012 by gangdumstyle because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 04:15 PM
link   
Good for the guy. How needs people advertising higher education, she got what she deserved.

Sorry carry on

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 04:15 PM
link   
reply to post by gangdumstyle

I'm sorry... I see absolutely NOTHING funny about electioneering. She was one letter from a criminal act. The fact some choose to treat these laws as less important than others is irrelevant. It is still a law and he was attempting to enforce it as he saw it to be. I'd also wonder just what SHE was thinking? Are people this ignorant of the process, rules and outright black letter law on conduct at a polling place? She played a game here...knowingly or not...that almost got her into some serious issues...if not more formal problems beyond today.

I find the idea that others would laugh about the attempt to uphold the integrity of the process absolutely reprehensible and a sign of why we have every reason to see our Faith shaken in the whole process. Too many people running these polling places take the law just as casually and just as laughingly. ....then people complain that the system isn't functional or fair. Hmm... If more people like this man were staffing the polls, FAR LESS nonsense would be happening.

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 04:17 PM
link   

Really?

You can't have a pro Romney/Obama shirt on when voting?

Yes, yes, I know she didn't, but ... really?

That just sounds ridiculous - what's the reason for that?

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 04:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000

I'm sorry... I see absolutely NOTHING funny about electioneering. She was one letter from a criminal act. The fact some choose to treat these laws as less important than others is irrelevant. It is still a law and he was attempting to enforce it as he saw it to be. I'd also wonder just what SHE was thinking?

Easy there cowboy...she wasn't trying to be funny...her shirt said "M.I.T." as in the Massuchusets Institute of Technology. Very common t-shirt, hat...coffee mug etc. Not electioneering.
edit on 6-11-2012 by Indigo5 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 04:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

You know in my area, voting is nearly sacred. I think it was quieter and more serene than a church. They way it should be. Then you can relax and choose wisely. Anyways, I am as sick as can be with a sinus infection, and I still showed up. (Thus why I have been hanging on ATS more than usual. TV makes me sleep even more than my bajillion hours a day.) Every vote counts!

As for the shirt? A school shirt was my first thought. All they had to do was ask, and it would be over with. Why such a big fuss?

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 04:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by DupontDeux

Really?

You can't have a pro Romney/Obama shirt on when voting?

Yes, yes, I know she didn't, but ... really?

That just sounds ridiculous - what's the reason for that?

No advertising/promoting/campaigning for candidates at the election booth. This dates back to when mobsters used to hang outside and force people to vote a certain way. It's a legitimate law.
edit on 6-11-2012 by boncho because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 04:25 PM
link   

i find your outrage laughable.

my wife goes to vote in a gators t-shirt. no issues.

this woman goes to vote wearing the t-shirt of another school and is almost kicked out for it? thats laughable.

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 04:26 PM
link   
Too funny. Probably has no clue what MIT is.

Yet it's perfectly fine to have a giant Obama-Hope-Change mural painted at a polling place.

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 04:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by elouina

As for the shirt? A school shirt was my first thought.

Yes ...you are right...M.I.T. Mass. Institute of Technology...I read about it somewhere already. Funny.

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 04:38 PM
link   

I'm sorry... I see absolutely NOTHING funny about electioneering. She was one letter from a criminal act. The fact some choose to treat these laws as less important than others is irrelevant. It is still a law and he was attempting to enforce it as he saw it to be. I'd also wonder just what SHE was thinking? Are people this ignorant of the process, rules and outright black letter law on conduct at a polling place? She played a game here...knowingly or not...that almost got her into some serious issues...if not more formal problems beyond today.

I find the idea that others would laugh about the attempt to uphold the integrity of the process absolutely reprehensible and a sign of why we have every reason to see our Faith shaken in the whole process. Too many people running these polling places take the law just as casually and just as laughingly. ....then people complain that the system isn't functional or fair. Hmm... If more people like this man were staffing the polls, FAR LESS nonsense would be happening.

Did you read the article? Even if she HAD been wearing a Mitt Romney tee shirt, she would have been in the right:

Source

As stated in Rule 1S-2.034 in the Florida Administrative Code: "Voters may wear campaign buttons, shirts, hats, or any other campaign items when they enter the polling place to vote; voters may not otherwise campaign there."

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 04:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by boncho

No advertising/promoting/campaigning for candidates at the election booth. This dates back to when mobsters used to hang outside and force people to vote a certain way. It's a legitimate law.
edit on 6-11-2012 by boncho because: (no reason given)

So any present day mobster hanging out outside must do so without declaring colour, not being able to take advantage of those mightily intimidating campaign shirts?

Well it just seems silly to say that it's A-ok to blast $4 ,000,000,000 worth of campaign propaganda in everybody's faces, but be damned if you wear a partisan t-shirt.

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 04:46 PM
link   
(Self Snip)

Time to go play some games for awhile and let the self appointed ATS experts hold court on the law. The codes themselves seem totally irrelevant and I'm tired of trying to explain things anyone can look up....while no one does. The MEDIA is NOT a legal source for opinion.......and bad information while polls are still open and someone may be heading there is worse that ignorant. You could get people arrested with this crap.

I can't handle any more ignorance worn like a badge of honor when the answers lay keystrokes away. Enjoy your night. I'll wander back tomorrow. There is only so much of this for one day..and today, it's been flowing like water down the Colorado river. I don't have a boat this big...so I'm off.

edit on 6-11-2012 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 04:58 PM
link   
If the lady was trying to campaign at the polling place I understand that is a problem.

This lady was an Obama voter for all we know..

The guy stepped over the line trying to be mr. law

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 05:02 PM
link   

I get your point, but at least know how to spell. If i wear a shirt that says anything other than a candidate's name I should be fine without being hounded by a hothead rule sleuth overambitious to stop voter fraud.

The real fraud will happen electronically or when the Electoral College decides who is going to win.

Actual voter count means absolutely nothing as far as the outcome of the election.

new topics
top topics

join