It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Possible Bullet Holes on US Airways Plane

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 20 2004 @ 11:51 AM
link   
An Orlando baggage handler discovered what appeared to be bullet holes on a US Airways plane. The FBI is investigating the punctures which appear to be the size of bullet holes. The flight originated in San Francisco and landed in Charlotte, NC before making its way to Orlando.

local6.com
The FBI is investigating several suspicious holes that appear to be bullet holes found on a U.S. Airways plane after it landed at Orlando International Airport, Local 6 News has learned.

According to a police report obtained exclusively by Local 6 News, an Orlando baggage handler discovered the holes before unloading luggage form the Airbus aircraft earlier this week.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Airline officials reported the incident to the Orlando police department about the "bullet holes" in the rear section of the aircraft. FBI officials are trying to confirm what they believe might be bullet holes in the plane. It is confirmed that they did not happen in Orlando.

2 Airway jets in Charlotte were also found with suspicious puncture marks on the rear ends of the planes. Mechanics for US Airways discovered the damage as they did a maintenance check of the aircrafts.

No one on the planes was injured.

Related News Links
Charlotte.com

Related ATS.com Discussions
Punctures Found in US Airways Plane

posted on Oct, 20 2004 @ 11:54 AM
link   
I looked at the article, and it will be interesting to see the ballistics on this. Was the plane on approach and hit from the ground or was it a flat trajectory and the plane was hit while on the runway.

If it is a gunshot, Ill put my money on a 22.....

posted on Oct, 20 2004 @ 11:57 AM
link   
Is this the second time that it happens?

I think I remember a thread about this (or a simialr incident) a few days ago.

Can't find it right now...looking...

EDIT: nope can't find it. I think it was on the ATS boards or I must be psychic

[edit on 10/20/2004 by Gools]

posted on Oct, 20 2004 @ 11:58 AM
link   
Seems like they should be able to find out rather quickly whether or not these are bullet holes. If they are, then this would've had to have happened upon landing. That would suggest terrible airport security (big surprise). Even if they are proven to be bullet holes, something tells me that terrorism probably isn't the cause. We do have our fair share of whackos and a@@holes here.

posted on Oct, 20 2004 @ 11:59 AM
link   
Oh, in Charlotte!
Lovely!
I know there's lots of guns down here, but how in the world can someone go shooting at an airport and no one notices this?

posted on Oct, 20 2004 @ 12:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Banshee
Oh, in Charlotte!
Lovely!
I know there's lots of guns down here, but how in the world can someone go shooting at an airport and no one notices this?

You don't need to be at the airport. The shallow landing patterns at Charlotte could allow you to be nearly a mile away from the airport and still make an easy shot.

posted on Oct, 20 2004 @ 12:19 PM
link   
I read all the links, but couldn't watch the video as i don't have 'real-player'.
There is a deafening silence about this. The article states that the 'holes' were
discovered by baggage handlers, so i assume these 'holes' are on the under-belly of
the aircraft.

Just a thought...could the 'holes' be rivets that popped?

Sanc'.
edit:text

[edit on 20-10-2004 by sanctum]

posted on Oct, 20 2004 @ 12:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by FredT

If it is a gunshot, Ill put my money on a 22.....

Okay, I'll put mine on 7.62mm aka AK-47

It wouldn't suprise me if it was either. For one thing, if someone intentionally shoots at a plane, they don't want a weapon that they like to keep...translation: a cheap gun. I don't think you'll fine to be fired from a 400 dollar gun because whomever shot it would like have gotten it off the black market for a low price so they won't lose much when they ditch it later on...unless they're just idiots.

posted on Oct, 20 2004 @ 01:12 PM
link   
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Is this the same one?

posted on Oct, 20 2004 @ 01:17 PM
link   
Probably some idiot who shot bullets up into the air and eventually they hit a plane... This kind of thing has happened before...

posted on Oct, 20 2004 @ 02:57 PM
link   
I suppose that the holes were made from the outside, but reading the article I can not be sure, they may have been made from inside the plane.

posted on Oct, 20 2004 @ 03:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Banshee
Oh, in Charlotte!
Lovely!

Not an Ak 47, I would put my money on something like this the "VSS 'Vintorez' silenced sniper rifle".

Link.
Not easy but also not that hard for someone with practice and thats my dilemma here, this isn't the work of a professional. A pro would have done some sabotage or something and not shoot at it from 300m with a low rate of success. A terrible thing to do,
I'm glad nobody got hurt.

*EDIT* Forgot to put in the pic.

Have a nice day

[edit on 20-10-2004 by TheDarkFlame]

posted on Oct, 20 2004 @ 03:45 PM
link   
Interestingly enough, my Dad flew USAir yesterday from Phoenix to Philly. They called him like 2.5 hrs before the flight to tell him it had been cancelled. He later said they never explained why. Coincidence? Probably, but you never know.

posted on Oct, 20 2004 @ 04:25 PM
link   
Having flown into Charlotte many times I can say there is loads of land from which shots could be fired from. Having said that, you'd probably still need a silenced weapon so as not to draw any attention to yourself. You'd have to be a bit lucky to hit the fuselage too as there is always turbulence knocking the planes about a bit as they approach Charlotte.

I'd have thought that if these were bullet holes then there miust be recoverable bullet remains within the aircraft. It woils also be likely that rounds, having pierced the relatively thin shell would have enough momentum, depending where they hit, to travel into the cabin area.

I'm wearing Kevlar undercrackers and socks the next time I fly into Charlotte, just in case there are any of those good ol' boys down there with a grudge and a full auto squirrel gun

posted on Oct, 20 2004 @ 04:42 PM
link   
My sources tell me that a baggage cart (also known as a Tug) struck the aircraft. Their were no signs of ballistic trajectory in the inner part of the aircraft and a Tug was found with damage. Although most Tugs are damaged in one way or another, this one had specific markings leading most to suspect the vehicle hit the plane. Of course the police report the reporter had gotten wouldn't have this info at the time the officer filed it.

posted on Oct, 20 2004 @ 09:44 PM
link   
I was listening to NPR on the way home and they were talking about this as well. (Marketplace i believe)

They made is sound like the police were looking for disgrunteled employees. The airline workers have disabled planes before as part of protest/striking. The local police had 'no comment' on what type of suspect/reasoning they were investigating.

Sounds like they have some leads or ideas anyways.

posted on Oct, 21 2004 @ 03:56 PM
link   
US Airways appears to be a common element here. Business news says that airlines are taking a profit beating, especially United/US Airways, so my guess is a disgruntled ex-employee. I flew United/US Airways from Salt Lake City to Philly yesterday and had to take an earlier flight (something of a good thing) because the later flight was cancelled. Interesting comment earlier about the cancelled flight from Phoenix to Philly on Tuesday. Possible connection here?

posted on Oct, 23 2004 @ 08:48 PM
link   
Three aircraft have had damage over the last week. None is atributed to gunshots. All were made by a puncture weapon, like a screwdriver. It is suspected to be done by angry baggage handlers for US Airways due to their impending doom (and talks about layoffs, salary cuts, etc.).

posted on Oct, 23 2004 @ 08:49 PM
link   
Oh by the way, all flights with damage are either based or flown through Philly. Obviously an insider sabotage job.

new topics

top topics

join