It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

what's the best shtf portable water filter out there for frugal conscious folks?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 02:36 PM
link   
Just wondering about everyone's opinion on the best water filter out there for shtf. Something that can filter pond water, rain water, whatever the circumstances and is budget friendly.

Thanks guys

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 02:40 PM
link   
This Katadyn filter can filter up to 500 gallons of water and is $69. I am sure you could find it a bit cheaper if you shopped around.

LInk

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 02:42 PM
link   
There is probably not a better unit on the public market than this badboy.

emergencyfoodstorage.co.uk...

But it is going to set you back just short of £8000

Regards ET H

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 02:43 PM
link   

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 02:44 PM
link   
A pack of cheap cigarette filters and a soda straw

edit on 6-11-2012 by ga-`tv-gi because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 02:45 PM
link   
The LifeSaver water bottle hands down!!

LINK

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 02:48 PM
link   
He said frugal.
How about, coffee filters first. A couple times depending on the source, say a pond.
Then into a Brita filter countertop unit.
Add drops of H2O2 food grade dpending on the amount of finished water,
Recommendations are on the label.

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 02:48 PM
link   
I just ordered and am going to try the Life Straw. I just got an email today that they shipped and I should have them in 14 days. I believe I am going to send in two samples (one before and one after filtering), when and if I do this, I will make a thread posting the results.

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 02:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by PaperbackWriter
He said frugal.
How about, coffee filters first. A couple times depending on the source, say a pond.

I think you meant NaClO (sodium hypochlorite (bleach)) not hydrogen peroxide.

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 02:53 PM
link   
reply to post by SpaDe_

I have used that filter in silty water and it clogs if you don't do a blow it out the other way to clear it.
Just a tip for you so you don't get stuck when in a pinch.

But,if you do you can just boil the water.

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 02:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Allegorical

I use a similar filter.
I hate using calories pumping it so I got one like that.

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 02:56 PM
link   
i have a BERKY water filter.

$100 & it will filter 6000 gallons!

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 02:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by superman2012

He said frugal.

I think you meant NaClO (sodium hypochlorite (bleach)) not hydrogen peroxide.

No I meant H2O2, but bleach in very small amounts will work also and should have included that also.
Get it at your health food store refrigerator section. Food grade is higher than 3% so it goes a long way.

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 02:59 PM
link   
Personally, I keep a container to boil the water, and disinfecting tablets in my supplies. The coffee filter is a great idea, it would clean out more visible impurities. Boiling, straining through the filter and adding a couple of drops of household bleach and let to stand for 10 minutes should do the trick for next to nothing. Don't forget a clean container to put your clean water into.

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 03:01 PM
link   
reply to post by dominicus

If you really want to go with what is cheapest, try cheesecloth with charcoal. Don't know what I did with it, but it's in a survival book around here somewhere. No charcoal? Use gravel and sand.

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 03:15 PM
link   
I still rely heavily on my old PUR Hiker filter (now Katadyn). I've upgraded it with the Pro filter cartridge and it works like a charm. Using the same filter cartridge you can upgrade in capacity to the Base Camp which stores a large quantity in a bladder and filters on demand www.campmor.com...[keyword]

Get both and keep your options open... However, I always have a supply of Aquamira tablets (chlorine dioxide) on hand as well for when the water is really suspect. The tablets actually purify the water in addition to the filtration process...

You've got a lot of choices. Go with the designs and products that have withstood the test of time like the Hiker filter. You can pump about 1 quart a minute with this filter if you keep the pre filter clean....

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 03:15 PM
link   

He said frugal.
A Brita water filter (pitcher/counter top) doesn't really filter out much. I stopped using them because all it does it take out a few chemicals, like chlorine, to make the water taste better, giving you the illusion that what you drink is nice and clean. They aren't very good for filtering out junk from tap water (like fluoride, which it doesn't filter out at all), but I'm not sure about the water you get from a pond or the like. I doubt it has any effect on parasites and so on.

Best and easiest way to clean water from sources like rivers and ponds is to boil it...

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 03:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by lonewolf10
i have a BERKY water filter.

$100 & it will filter 6000 gallons!

I've heard a lot of great things about the Berkey Filters. Great for base camp or on the go depending on the size... The midsize Royal Berkey has been on my wish list for quite a while. Great for everyday use or if things ever go bad...

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 04:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by superman2012
I just ordered and am going to try the Life Straw. I just got an email today that they shipped and I should have them in 14 days. I believe I am going to send in two samples (one before and one after filtering), when and if I do this, I will make a thread posting the results.

one thing about the life straw is you have to stay close to water. you cant filter water and put it in a bottle, unless you spit your water back out.

edit on 6-11-2012 by camaro68ss because: (no reason given)

edit on 6-11-2012 by camaro68ss because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 04:36 PM
link   
I got an MSR EX for cheap a while ago. They can be had for around $60.

I chose it because it is user serviceable so you wont have to buy replacement filters.

Ive used it for stagnant pond water, scummy shallow puddles, rivers and lakes.

The one drawback is that the ceramic filter is relatively fragile. Though I havent broken one yet and I just toss it in my pack or in a bag on my bike. I suppose if I fell off a cliff it would break.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join