It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Woman who drove on sidewalk must wear 'idiot' sign

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 02:10 PM
link   

Woman who drove on sidewalk must wear 'idiot' sign

www.usnews.com

CLEVELAND (AP) — A woman caught on camera driving on a sidewalk to avoid a Cleveland school bus that was unloading children will have to stand at an intersection wearing a sign warning about idiots. Court records show a Cleveland Municipal Court judge on Monday ordered 32-year-old Shena Hardin to stand at an intersection for two days next week. She will have to wear a sign saying: "Only an idiot drives on the sidewalk to avoid a school bus." The judge ordered her to wear the sign from 7:45 a.m. to 8:45 a.m. both days.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 02:10 PM
link   
Now this is justice. The punishment actually fits the crime. Luckily she didn't hit anybody. There needs to be more public shame involved for committing offenses like this. When people are sentenced to community service, they should be forced to wear some sort of sign explaining what they did. Same for repeat traffic scofflaws. They should get bumper stickers saying "warning, I often run red lights" or what ever. Maybe we could actually brand rapists and pedophiles so people know to stay away from them?

www.usnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 02:13 PM
link   
This is awesome. Exactly the justice she needs. I personally would have ordered her to stand out there longer, and with an even larger sign if possible.

But to me it's exactly what was called for in this situation. THe video of her getting pulled over by the cops for repeatedly driving on the sidewalk is pretty awesome to watch too. You are cheering for the cops in that one video.

link   
As bad as it sounds I actually agree 100% with the judge on this one.

The downside and part I don't like is that it was caught on camera...

Not a big fan of a Police State.

link   
Oh yeah. This is the best type of punishment that could ever be dished out to those who do stupid things. It would reduce re-offending by a huge percentage if label shame tactics were used.

The reason so many people get away with stuff and crime is rampant is there is no real effective deterrent. Cleaning up sidewalks with a boiler suit that says I'm an idiot would be great, especially if you had to do it in your own neighborhood.

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 02:14 PM
link   
reply to post by DarthMuerte

what comes next ? whipping ?

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 02:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by knowledgedesired

One day a 'camera' may save your life or catch the killer of your family member. Remember your words then. You do nothing wrong, then there is nothing to fear, it's that simple.

link   

Really, the woman couldn't wait a few moments? She's in such a hurry she's got to drive on the sidewalk?
Bless her heart (that is southern for bitch).

link   

Originally posted by icepack

what comes next ? whipping ?

For idiots or for the serious offenders like rapists and such? For people like the woman in my OP, shame definitely fits the crime.

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 02:16 PM
link   
Maybe the shirt should read
"Why are you reading my shirt when you should be watching the road"
A more appropriate punishment should be revoking her driving licence ,not creating a distraction

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 02:17 PM
link   

are we going backwards in human developement ?
these are definetally forms of punishment from 100 years ago.

edit on 6-11-2012 by icepack because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 02:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by pacifier2012

One day a 'camera' may save your life or catch the killer of your family member. Remember your words then. You do nothing wrong, then there is nothing to fear, it's that simple.
Now, maybe. But just wait until just wearing the wrong clothes is a crime, or refusing to bow to a statue of the world ruler, or walking in the wrong neighborhood while black/mexican/christian or whatever. Camera use is a serious slippery slope and I think that they should be ditched as entirely too intrusive in a free society.

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 02:20 PM
link   
reply to post by 12voltz

Indeed! Although it is a great and quite funny punishment. I would have to agree with you.

It would be a distraction to other motorists.

Suspend her license for a bit, and a fat fine.
edit on 6-11-2012 by natalia because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 02:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by icepack

are we going backwards in human developement ?
these are definetally forms of punishment from 100 years ago.
Yes, we are going backwards imo. Our society is degrading by the day. What kind of person cannot sit in their comfortable car and wait for 2-5 minutes while school children unload from a bus? Maybe if she would have hit your son or daughter, you might get a clue.

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 02:22 PM
link   

What an idiot, now this is justice I agree with

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 02:23 PM
link   
For one hour a day? Thats weak. Crush her car, and then apply the sign at least. Cow should be banned from going inside the confines of a motor vehicle, of any kind, for any reason, even as a passenger.

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 02:25 PM
link   

She got off easy. She should have performed community service as a school guard for the season as well.

I recieved my first ticket in Berea (a suburb of Cleveland) for driving to fast for conditions. I plead no contest because I was.

The fine...back in 2001 was $350.00.

Like I said...she got off easy.

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 02:27 PM
link   

gotta be fair, we use it on them too!

a necessary evil sometimes..

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 02:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by winofiend

gotta be fair, we use it on them too!

a necessary evil sometimes..
Necessary? NO! Evil? Yes! There were plenty of witnesses to the event who could have testified, no cameras necessary.

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 02:31 PM
link   
I take it that the judge was totally floored that a person could even attempt such a thing. And quite frankly, so am I. Especially since I was expecting to see an 80 year old "Mr. Magoo". Idiot is the appropriate term since she brazenly did this with no respect for life or law. I think losing her license would have been a better punishment. Since she is a danger on our roads.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join