Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

Heffs ATS Barack Obama Victory Tracking and Celebration Thread!

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 01:54 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

That has absolutely no relevance to anything I said or the founding fathers. They specifically made a pathway to allow the constitution to be amended.

Thomas Jefferson would see you as foolish.

Once again;

Some men look at constitutions with sanctimonious reverence, and deem them like the arc of the covenant, too sacred to be touched. They ascribe to the men of the preceding age a wisdom more than human, and suppose what they did to be beyond amendment. But I know also, that laws and institutions must go hand in hand with the progress of the human mind. As that becomes more developed, more enlightened, as new discoveries are made, new truths disclosed, and manners and opinions change with the change of circumstances, institutions must advance also, and keep pace with the times. We might as well require a man to wear still the coat which fitted him when a boy, as civilized society to remain ever under the regimen of their barbarous ancestors

teachingamericanhistory.org...

Then there is article V in the constitution that flat out says it can be changed.

Article Five of the United States Constitution

Article Five of the United States Constitution describes the process whereby the Constitution may be altered. Altering the Constitution consists of proposing an amendment or amendments and subsequent ratification.

The Congress, whenever two thirds of both Houses shall deem it necessary, shall propose Amendments to this Constitution, or, on the Application of the Legislatures of two thirds of the several States, shall call a Convention for proposing Amendments, which, in either Case, shall be valid to all Intents and Purposes, as Part of this Constitution, when ratified by the Legislatures of three fourths of the several States or by Conventions in three fourths thereof, as the one or the other Mode of Ratification may be proposed by the Congress; Provided that no Amendment which may be made prior to the Year One thousand eight hundred and eight shall in any Manner affect the first and fourth Clauses in the Ninth Section of the first Article; and that no State, without its Consent, shall be deprived of its equal Suffrage in the Senate.

For example, the Twenty-seventh Amendment was proposed in 1789 and ratified more than 200 years later in 1992. On May 20, 1992, both houses of Congress adopted concurrent resolutions accepting the 27th Amendment's unorthodox ratification process as having been successful and valid.

en.wikipedia.org...

You have no argument, you are just flat out wrong. The constitution is a living document, it was designed to be. It is in plain text, read it sometime.

edit on 6-11-2012 by Trustfund because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 01:54 PM
link   
reply to post by superman2012

A combination of exit polling, and editorial fantasy/wishful thinking...

Personally, I didn't vote for either of the major parties idiots, I voted Libertarian. I voted for the local issues and various local representation, knowing full well that my guy wasn't/isn't going to win. But if we all vote for the guy we think is going to win, for that sole reason, we're lost.

We must vote our consciences, backed by knowledge/research.

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 01:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hefficide
One of the character traits of liberals is that we are laid back and compassionate. We don't go for the jugular vein - as many of our more conservative nemesis are wont to do. But today is OUR day - and we deserve to gloat a little! Let us allow our voices to be heard! We've fought the good fight and now we will reap the spoils of war!

Yeah right

"MoveOn ad features old lady threatening to “burn this ********* down” if Romney wins"

edit on 11/6/2012 by Blaine91555 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 01:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Trustfund

No. I'm not wrong.

An amendment is a legitamate improvement on the document.

While others forego the amendment process and just reinterpret what it originally says to conform to their personal (ideological) agenda.

Quite simple, really.

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 01:58 PM
link   
reply to post by sixswornsermon

In all the Election Day excitement I'd forgotten to put on my Election Day avatar.

Better?

~Heff

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 01:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by seagull
reply to post by superman2012

A combination of exit polling, and editorial fantasy/wishful thinking...

Personally, I didn't vote for either of the major parties idiots, I voted Libertarian. I voted for the local issues and various local representation, knowing full well that my guy wasn't/isn't going to win. But if we all vote for the guy we think is going to win, for that sole reason, we're lost.

We must vote our consciences, backed by knowledge/research.

Thanks for the info.

If only everyone would do that, then it wouldn't be such a "hopeless" situation.

link   

reply to post by sixswornsermon

In all the Election Day excitement I'd forgotten to put on my Election Day avatar.

Better?

~Heff

BTC!
(Bill, The Cat)

Heff? I may develop a man-crush.

link   
reply to post by Blaine91555

Blaine... Satire and propaganda are NOT representative of reality. You do realize that old woman is an actress performing a script. Right?

~Heff

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 02:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Hefficide

A star for Bill the Cat!

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 02:06 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

You are wrong. You stated that the constitution is not a living document when it is, the founding fathers written is so that it could be changed with approval of congress and the states.. READ IT. It is very simple.

While others forego the amendment process and just reinterpret what it originally says to conform to their personal (ideological) agenda.

Who is "others". The supreme court interprets the constitution, congress has the power to amend it. This power is given to them by the constitution.......

[Amendments may be proposed by either :

two-thirds of both houses of the United States Congress ; or
by a national convention assembled at the request of the legislatures of at least two-thirds of the states.

To become part of the Constitution, amendments must then be ratified either by approval of :

the legislatures of three-fourths of the states ; or
state ratifying conventions held in three-fourths of the states.

Congress has discretion as to which method of ratification should be used.

Any amendment so ratified becomes a valid part of the Constitution, provided that no state "shall be deprived of its equal Suffrage in the senate," without its consent.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 02:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by butcherguy
[Snip]

If those were the only registered voters in America.

Your first post implied that people who work, haven't voted yet, I was just letting you know some have. Never said we were the only votes in America. You asked for stats, I gave you examples.

[MOD EDIT: Please edit down quoted material. There is no need to "quote" multiple layers deep. Alernatively, use the "reply to" tag. Thanks. ~Mike]

edit on 6/11/12 by JustMike because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 02:10 PM
link   

Blaine... Satire and propaganda are NOT representative of reality. You do realize that old woman is an actress performing a script. Right?

~Heff

I could not resist the "laid back" comment
This has been the dirtiest campaign by both sides in my lifetime.

Both sides are so out of line, it's embarrassing. We need to unite and all anyone want's to do is divide us into camps like it's a sporting event.

Personally I've come to regard both Parties with equal disdain and can easily envision them patting each other on the back off camera since there is no difference. We are being played, by both sides like marionettes.

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 02:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Trustfund

Every president has used the Constitution to support their own agenda. Their interpretation should in no way be construed as the same as an amendment.
edit on 6-11-2012 by beezzer because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 02:12 PM
link   
Never in my life have I wanted a politician to win an election this much.

Obama needs to win.

I already voted.

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 02:13 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

You know, I have to actually agree with Beezer AND Heff...

Minimum wage you say? How about changing the wording to "liveable wage"

America should have a "living wage", adjusted for each area's cost of living index and it should also be inflation adjusted annually.

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 02:21 PM
link   

I couldn't agree more! Obama all the way will win. I think if Romney wasn't a Morman ,and could relate to people better,would've had a better chance. I wish Ron Paul would've stayed in the election.

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 02:22 PM
link   

I'm here for the eats and booze.

Oh and nice place you got here.

Where's the widescreen?

Posting only after reading the first couple of pages but wanted to keep track of the festivities.

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 02:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blaine91555

~Heff

I could not resist the "laid back" comment
This has been the dirtiest campaign by both sides in my lifetime.

Both sides are so out of line, it's embarrassing. We need to unite and all anyone want's to do is divide us into camps like it's a sporting event.

Personally I've come to regard both Parties with equal disdain and can easily envision them patting each other on the back off camera since there is no difference. We are being played, by both sides like marionettes.

Agreed. Both parties have sunk to lows I thought wasn't possible. I dislike it...I dislike how they have polarized people with their bent and twisted platforms and positions. Both parties need to lose the extremism of their rhetoric...but then if they did that, you couldn't tell them apart!

But the sheep will always stand by their imaginary champions..

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 02:28 PM
link   

Your first post implied that people who work, haven't voted yet, I was just letting you know some have. Never said we were the only votes in America. You asked for stats, I gave you examples.
reply to post by froglegs79

You gave me a story about your family.

Here is an example of a story:

Everyone in my extended family (97 strong) works during the day. Their job is far away from the polling place. None of them have voted yet. We are all going to vote ten minutes before the polls close. We have three school buses that we are driving there.

Do you believe the story that I wrote?

BTW: Here is my post that you say implied that people that work haven't voted yet...

I heard that some people that work for a living are going to be voting later today. After they finish working.

Some people haven't voted yet.... that is what you need to read there.

edit on 6-11-2012 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 02:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by MystikMushroom
reply to post by beezzer

You know, I have to actually agree with Beezer AND Heff...

Minimum wage you say? How about changing the wording to "liveable wage"

America should have a "living wage", adjusted for each area's cost of living index and it should also be inflation adjusted annually.

There's a little bit of a snafu with the CoL index.
Our area has a GREAT cost of living... yet we have grinding poverty, high crime, and almost 30% unemployment in MY town in this county. If you look online, everything is peachy, grea, wonderfult! We even got an " All American CIty" award... which is deceptive as to get this award you have to have the most social programs due to your percentage of those in poverty. THAT is being all American these days? We have massive infrastructure probs, massive racial issues ( as in we had mobs before it was popular) and our energy rates are outrageous. Basically the only thing keeping this town alive is the Art Fair which is nationally recognized, the Mil base, and the larger hospital. Otherwise, this would be as bad as our neighbor.. East St Louis.
Yet, we have a GREAT cost of living here...... if you can handle the crime and govt corruption anyway.
before morons on here do as usual and say " well move" " You must live in a bad part of town then" .. nope. I own a 5 bedroom historic home in a nice part of town and we were transferred here to this base and had to be close to St Louis Childrens hospital due to our middle kids liver transplant. You DONT live in a bubble.. crime has a car these days, corruption isnt only in the ghetto, and you live under a rock if you havent figured this out.. YET. But hey.. you can sure live CHEAP here on min ( poverty) wage! ( eye roll) If you keep ther poor poor and ther rest barely treading water... you sure can get nice awards and lotsa govt money to squander on Main Street redos.. ( forget the sewage in the basements due to the infrastructure failing! )

When this sort of thing isnt blatantly LIED about and covered with PC nonsense and numbers cooked, maybe we will have a chance with your and Beez's idea

edit on 6-11-2012 by Advantage because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join