It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Canada - India Increase Nuclear Trade Talks...Will India Use Uranium Peacefully?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 11:16 AM
link   

Canada, India reach agreement on nuclear trade

www.theglobeandmail.com...

Canadian uranium and nuclear hardware may soon be shipping to India for the first time in nearly four decades after a deal reached during Stephen Harper’ s visit to New Delhi.

....so far unclear exactly how New Delhi has satisfied Ottawa’s need to monitor where its nuclear material ends up....

... the new deal satisfies Canada’s concerns about ensuring its nuclear material is only used for peaceful means....

...the International Atomic Energy Agency will monitor India on behalf of Canada....

The two countries have agreed that “uranium will only be going to those [nuclear] facilities inspected by the IAEA.

Ottawa ended its nuclear trade with India in 1974 when India tested its first nuclear bomb using plutonium from a Canadian-donated test reactor. The ensuing fallout hampered bilateral relations for decades.

...[Canada & India] had concluded difficult negotiations [recently] on resuming nuclear trade – talks designed to address Canadian concerns about verifying that any nuclear material supplied is only used for peaceful purposes.

It was two years ago that Canada and India reached a nuclear co-operation deal with great fanfare – one that was supposed to pave the way for a vast new export business for Canadian uranium and reactor companies.

That breakthrough helped the two countries move past decades of awkward and sometimes chilly relations over India’s misuse of nuclear fuel obtained from Canada in the 1970s.

But the 2010 deal never came into force though because India balked at Canada’s insistence that it should have the right to verify India’s handling of any Canadian nuclear material.

Canada and India were vague in their official announcements on how the negotiations have satisfied Canada’s need to monitor the south Asian country’s use of nuclear material.

Other links:
ca.reuters.com...
www.thestar.com...
www.cbc.ca...
www.newstrackindia.com...
www.ottawacitizen.com...

The Conservative government has also said it wants to attract more foreign students to Canada. Our country is facing a skills shortage and a demographic shift, so attracting young people — young people with language skills and education and who may well choose to build their lives here — makes sense. India is already Canada’s second-biggest source of foreign students.

edit on 6-11-2012 by Skywatcher2011 because: (no reason given)

edit on 6-11-2012 by Skywatcher2011 because: changed thread title

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 11:24 AM
link   
So what the Harper government is doing is trading with India by exporting uranium and importing Indian people to Canada.

Firstly, with the amount of security India already has in its streets as a result of terrorists taking out their leaders in the 80's, I have a suspicious feeling that India does have bad intentions to come with this trade. Get nuclear and produce weapons, and send over the youth to Canada to be safe in case there is a nuclear war in the East to protect future generations.

Why aren't other nations, except for Australia, pursuing this kind of trade with India? Why isn't America doing the same thing as Canada?

Does the American president feel that if India got nuclear, then they could be seen as a nuclear threat for terrorist activity?

Side note. Harper wants more international students to come to Canada. When these students come to Canada, their tuition fees they pay to universities is three to four times more than what Canadians pay. But what happens in the long run is that these students eventually become working Canadian citizens and start taking away jobs from born Canadians.

Every country has a certain percentage of unemployment. Why doesn't the government try to help these people out first, and secondly, why isn't the government helping Canadians develop their skills better so they can get jobs, rather than giving it to cheap laborers from overseas?

This government is total BS

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 11:29 AM
link   
India has been a nuclear nation for years. They tested their first nuke in 1974.
edit on 6-11-2012 by Doc Gator because: added year

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 11:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Doc Gator
India has been a nuclear nation for years.

Yuh

From me being a Canadian in a largely Conservative city (in Harpers riding actually lol), I can tell you 90% of Harper bashers are extremely ignorant and when asked for facts, most can only bring up the Internet and Privacy bills.

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 11:33 AM
link   
India has been a nuclear nation since the seventies. I believe they called their first nuclear bomb "Smiling Buddha".
edit on 6-11-2012 by RedShirt73 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 11:38 AM
link   
Hey sorry everyone, I wanted to respond by saying I know India has been nuclear for some time.but my argument was not this at all.

I wanted to see your thoughts if India was not going to abuse this deal like what happened in the 70's? Do you think India is a changed nation? Or do you see something bad that could arise out of this agreement.like India building WMD's?

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 11:42 AM
link   

India has been a nuclear nation for years. They tested their first nuke in 1974.

I know this..but did you even read the articles in the link and my question?

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 11:44 AM
link   
I am starting this thread with the question:

Do you think India will use our nuclear supplies in a peaceful manner, or do you think that India will misuse the material in building nuclear weapons?

Stay on topic people! Thank you

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 11:48 AM
link   
I was on topic. You asked if they would go nuclear. I stated that they have been nuclear since 1974.

They already have approx 100 warheads and the ability to launch from subs. Is building a few more warheads really going to change anything?

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 11:49 AM
link   

I was on topic. You asked if they would go nuclear. I stated that they have been nuclear since 1974.

They already have approx 100 warheads and the ability to launch from subs. Is building a few more warheads really going to change anything?

I am not asking this at all....I am asking you if you think they will be using nuclear materials PEACEFULLY.

You don't read well at all.

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 11:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Skywatcher2011

Well, to your statement, I don't think India will misuse the uranium being sold to them. Even though they (India) built their first reactor with parts that were from Canada (Not sure if they were given or stolen). Either way, at the time, the Canadian government wasn't very happy or impressed with India.
If the Indian government were to misuse the uranium, that wouldn't look very well on the Canadian government. IMHO, we shouldn't be selling the uranium to anyone regardless if their a friend or not.

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 12:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skywatcher2011

I am not asking this at all....I am asking you if you think they will be using nuclear materials PEACEFULLY.

You don't read well at all.

I read very well and, more importantly, I actually comprehend what I read. You might try being a little clearer in your questions.

Yes, I think India will use the nuclear material peacefully. Building a nuclear deterrence and entering into a MAD arrangement with Pakistan is a peaceful endeavor and a stabilizing influence in the region.

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 12:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Skywatcher2011

Hi OP,

India has and have Nuclear Missile(yes you do know that), and they have not really used it for almost 40 yrs since they first used in the test.

They are one of the worlds Fastest growing nation, and even after several bombing by Pakistan, they have not resorted to nuclear attacks or even retaliation.

India would be a country Canada could trust, and would be beneficial to both countries.

On the job note, yes i agree, Canadian Citizen or been here for long time should get jobs over International Students.

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 12:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skywatcher2011

I know this..but did you even read the articles in the link and my question?

Since your original comments stated: "I have a suspicious feeling that India does have bad intentions to come with this trade. Get nuclear and produce weapons", I have to assume that you did not, in fact, know that India was a nuclear power.

I don't think that my reading ability is the problem here.

top topics

join