It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

It Cost How Much???

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 11:15 AM
link   
Well I hope it was worth it, $6 BILLION later and the campaign to become president of the United States is drawing to a close, by the end of tonight we may know the outcome.

I've resisted the urge to join in the political threads here as I tend to agree it doesn't matter too much who becomes presi.... The machines will keep on rolling regardless.

Instead I thought I would put into perspective the massive PR campaigns which have been hitting your homes in an attempt to brain wash you and I into choosing one of two people, out of the possible 315,000,000 people in America (well not all 315 Million would be eligible, but it put things into perspective).

Are these two people the best and most capable people to run America out of hundreds of million to pick from?... I don't think so, I can think of a least 1,000 people better suited to run America. But that's not how it works is it, the best of mankind are never running for leaders of countries.... but why?

Anyway I digress, lets look at how much the campaigns have cost, estimates point to around $6 Billion, that's a perverse amount of money.
www.bbc.co.uk...

What does $1 million look like (in $100 bills) -

What does $1 billion look like (in $100 bills) -

www.quora.com...

So $6 billion dollars is six times the picture above, you could build a house with that!

Surely $6 billion dollars spent on nothing more than propaganda could buy something better. I think the ideas and policies of each candidate gets completely lost among all the expensive advertisements, rallies and slogans.

Why not just have a leaflet, with a photo of each candidate in the top corner and underneath a list of their proposed policies, have one TV advert and a few TV debates on their proposed policies. A limit of a million dollars each. With the rest of the $6 Billion dollars being spent on things that are needed, like education or health for example, better still, to help those in NY who are struggling with the aftermath of Sandy? Am I being too naive, probably, but it all seems so perverse.

I've seen that if all of the TV campaigns were aired together it would take 250 days to watch them all, can you imagine.

It would take a person on an average wage over 204,000 years to save $6 Billion, without spending anything while doing it.

So possible alternative ways to spend that $6 Billion -

- 600,000 new schools in Africa
- 300 new hospitals in America
- 30,000 homes

.... Feel free to add to the list.

Is there anyone who is of the opinion this is money well spent? I'd be interested in your point of view.

As a side note, the $6 Billion spent on campaigning was money well spent when you consider it would only take 288 hours (12 days) to spend that money on wars in Iraq and Afghanistan.
www.wallstats.com...

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 12:06 PM
link   
I agree with your outrage over the money spent. It's obscene and it's inexcusably. In fact, it's probably the best argument for public financing of these campaigns with an absolute and non-negotiable 0 tolerance for any private money. Not 1 dollar from anyone, anywhere.

Having said that, there is another side to this. The Candidates all around didn't stand in a circle and throw the money into a bonfire. Obscene amounts did vanish into the abyss of major media of all flavors for commercials and such, true. A large % also went to everything from commercial flights to hotels to catering businesses from coast to coast as well as thousands of other little places all that money gets spent. So, I DO agree this has to stop. it's totally out of control all around. It did at least benefit SOME regular people over the course of this though.

it's kinda like saying a flood at least breaks the drought....but hey, when in the flood, any silver lining is one to grab at.

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 01:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000
In fact, it's probably the best argument for public financing of these campaigns with an absolute and non-negotiable 0 tolerance for any private money. Not 1 dollar from anyone, anywhere.

I like that idea... and to add, all candidates from all parties should be getting the same budget. It should be just about their policies, ideas, leadership qualities etc. instead of how much money you can throw at it.

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000
It did at least benefit SOME regular people over the course of this though.

That's true and I can't argue that, I wouldn't mind seeing a breakdown of the $6 billion though, I may try and find one if it's out there.

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 02:02 PM
link   
reply to post by RiverRunsFree

I could have built an awesome money fort out of those campaign expenditures and it would have probably been a better use to boot!

Oh don’t forget all the palms that need to be greased

Quite a staggering amount. When I think about this money, all I can see is the philanthropic uses, shame…

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 08:05 AM
link   
Well I had no luck finding a breakdown of the $6 Billion but I did find this from my original source.

TV campaign ads reign supreme in the battle for votes (at least in terms of costs), eating up, it is estimated, over half of all campaign spending.

www.bbc.co.uk...

Originally posted by MDDoxs
I could have built an awesome money fort out of those campaign expenditures and it would have probably been a better use to boot!

Thats exactly what I was thinking when I typed it.... and then I thought about the kind of real fort you could buy for $6 Billion... hee hee.

top topics

join