It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I knew my mom was zealous about Romney, but...

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 11:13 AM
link   
reply to post by EllaMarina

So that's how a Republican reacts to not getting their way...now I feel fully justified in voting for a Democrat.

Ma'am, you've made my day.

edit on 7-11-2012 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 11:44 AM
link   
Reply to post by EllaMarina

Feel sorry for you.

As much as I love my motherm she's much the same, her opinion is the only one that matters.

Hell, even when it comes to the X Factor here in the UK, she looooooves Gary Barlow, and she thinks she can go on a bitchy rant and call me ridiculous because I think he is an untalented doychebag?

Olden day people, good thing they are not having much influence nowadays, young people are thankfully having a better impact, well, the ones that aren't on their computers all day

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 01:22 PM
link   

Ignorance anyone? Glasses all around for anyone calling anyone a traitor.

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 01:23 PM
link   
Good on you for voting, for actually taking an interest in such things and for following what you believe.

I think if I was American I would have voted third party too.

Tell your mum that the rest of the world is VERY disappointed she voted for Romney.

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 02:54 PM
link   
reply to post by sheepslayer247

So having an opinion and voting differently than one's parents is disrespectful...

It's always been like that. Hell, if my mother was talking and I said anything back that wasn't sucking up or degrading myself, it was talking back.

I suppose that's what happens when your mother is Irish.

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 03:45 PM
link   
Ha, this made me think of a question in the NYTM where someone was asking if they could give their mother a 'gift' of voting for her candidate of choice ( incidentally enough Romney as well) when they were democratic through and through. It comes down to this, it's your choice, she can bitch and moan all she wants, but everyone has there own choice. Good luck with her. Especially since Romney lost.....

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 03:52 PM
link   
reply to post by sheepslayer247

Bravo you are the best and the smartest of us all , man its great you are here to lead us lost souls thru the darkness and into the light ..THANK THE HEAVENS FOR YOU YOUR THE BEST EVER !!!!

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 06:21 PM
link   
At least you told the truth and stuck with the truth.

If you lied, then high bet that it'll most likely nag at you.

Lesser of two evils. How about better of 2 goods? ( the ones that are not in Mr. and Mrs. Popular circle)

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 06:30 PM
link   
that sucks =/ but good for you doing what you belive in.
Dig up some dirt on mitt romney. Took me some time to convince my mom that the world isnt exactly as she percives it through the tube or tabloid magazines.
The world is just to damn crazy, im puzzled as why not more are questioning it.

If these "99 facts about mitt romney" is for real i cant tell, but one could always investigate their claims afterwards!

thinkprogress.org...
edit on 7-11-2012 by Johnkie because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 06:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by EllaMarina
I'm alone in my room now. I'm kind of scared of how she'll act towards me. One thing's for sure, our nice day out tomorrow is probably called off.
I wanted so much to make the point that this country is based on freedom, and that includes the freedom to vote for who I want. But it wouldn't have made a difference.

You are free to do whatever you want to do...but you must also understand there are always repercussions.

Just think, when you are out living on your own, in the near future, you will be even more free than you have ever been.

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 06:46 PM
link   

Hi Ella,

Wow your story brought back memories. Back in 2000 I had a similar thing happen. You see my dad, who is heavily into politics and a strong Democrat raised us all to vote often and most importantly vote our convictions. He also was a big fan of Ralph Nader until 2000 rolled around.

I told him prior to the election that I was doing as he taught me and voting for Nader since our state, PA would likely go for Gore anyway.

After the debacle of the 2000 election he blamed Nader and people like me who voted for him as "giving the election to George Bush".

I reminded him that, no, "the Secretary of State of Florida and the Supreme Court did that."

He then said we made it so that Gore couldn't win.

I responded to him that "If Al Gore had not run away from his views on global warming many of those who voted for the Green Party would have voted for him. Therefore Gore beat himself by running from who he told us he was. He tried to be too many things to too many disparate interest. Had he stuck to his guns people at least people would have known where he stood and been more enthusiastic about his candidacy."

Sound familiar?

My father and I didn't speak for a week after that. At one point even recently when the subject came up again he got angry about it.

I do not know how old your mom is but my father was born in 1927 and there's something about people that age, they tend to be very hard nosed about their political views and often see everything as zero-sum, all or nothing. "If they win, the country will go to hell", etc.

Last week we talked about that election again and he thanked me for always voting, even when i voted my convictions because he said that he taught me well in that I vote in every election.

We healed after about a week and 12 years later he admits I did the right thing.

Hopefully your mother will come around. Politics should not come between families any more than a difference in religion should. It's a personal choice.
edit on 7-11-2012 by JadeX because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 07:11 PM
link   
Funny how people will call out Republi-tards for kicking screaming when they don't get their way when a huge populace of the Demo-craps are irrational idiots. In my opinion, you're all idiots who don't know how to think for yourselves and REALLY do NOT know what's best for this country.

As far as your mother goes, well, how old is she? There's a certain generation of people that, no matter which side of stupid you root for, will be die-hard fans of their guy. It's like a full-of-lies-beauty-contest-sporting-event between two people who have the money and ties to people who can make them the "leader" of the country. Your mom is ignorant. But not necessarily in a bad way. She just doesn't know any better. Was never taught to think outside of the idiot box (TV). Maybe if you compile a well thought out case as to why you didn't vote for Mitt and why you voted for Gary, she might listen.

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 07:36 PM
link   
I must be an idiot. I always remind my niece to vote, and we exchange "Americana" presents. We always cancel each other out, but she's the most patriotic person I know.

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 08:00 PM
link   

It is just one of those things in life where you have to stand alone. People don't understand and it takes a higher level of scrutiny, a higher level of conscious thought, to really know what is going on with this country and act and vote accordingly. Collectively in this country, Johnson got over a million votes. I voted for him too and my state got over 40,000 votes for him. I think he got the most votes in libertarian history, and that is saying a lot, and even though it wasn't 5% in any state, it got to nearly half of that in quite a few.
They talk about the 1% a lot and how they make the most money, but we are the other 1%... the very informed, intelligent few that voted to get this country out of this mess.
The next 4 years are going to be scary, and they are going to be filled with uncertainty. I am just very happy. I am glad that I am able to sleep well at night knowing that I contributed to the solution rather than four more years of a 2 party problem.

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 08:12 PM
link   
Someone I know was forced to vote for Obama by her mother through a mail-in ballot. Her mom is hysterically pro-Obama and won't accept any other vote from her kids. She intimidated both to vote for him. They both live under her roof, so I guess they felt obligated. Pretty crazy. The thing is that they feel like they know better than you, but you know that they don't. Both my parents probably voted for Romeny and they know I probably voted for Gary Johnson. We have our differences, we talk about it, I'm outraged, they're outraged and in the end we go on with our lives and get along fine so long as we don't discuss politics too much.

The older generation still wants to trust their lives to their chosen candidates. It goes back to the good ole' days (which I'm not even sure ever existed) where the President is our leader, and our leader would NEVER do anything to jeopardize our futures, unless he's from that other political party they disagree with. They believe the President receives important information we're all too stupid to understand, and all his decisions are the correct ones. Romney will save the economy and the middle class, and Obama will save the poor and the needy and he'll spread equality around. Bull crap!

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 08:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by EllaMarina
I never thought this would happen.

My mom (a Romney fan) and I went to the polling place. The wait felt approximately as long as the line for a semi-popular ride at Disney World during busy season. But none of this mattered much, because I was eager to add my vote for Gary Johnson.

In the line, I arranged a day out with my mom tomorrow. We would have a great time. Today would be a good day too. Vote for Gary Johnson, go home, get some coffee, relax.

But it wasn't to be...
In the car after we were done voting, she asked me if I voted Republican, and I told her the truth without thinking.
She-- blew-- UP.

She said some pretty creative things that I didn't think a person would ever be inclined to say to one's own daughter.
"You are so stupid"... "I feel like I have a traitor in my own home"... "I asked you to do this ONE THING for me"... (For a few minutes I thought she was going to kick me out of the house.) Her biggest rant was that I just wasted my vote, and that I basically gave one to Obama.

I made the point that a vote is only wasted if it's for someone you don't believe in. I also mentioned sadly that this election has divided everyone like no other, family member against family member. She scoffed icily at everything I said, and continued on to say that she never even heard of Gary Johnson at all... and then that I knew nothing of politics and couldn't possibly make an informed decision...

I'm alone in my room now. I'm kind of scared of how she'll act towards me. One thing's for sure, our nice day out tomorrow is probably called off.
I wanted so much to make the point that this country is based on freedom, and that includes the freedom to vote for who I want. But it wouldn't have made a difference.

That is both simultaneously the saddest, and, the funniest thing I've ever heard.

Thank you, for being you.

Pray for her - what else can you do. Love her and remember what Jesus said as he hung on the cross

"Forive them father for they know not what they do."

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 08:19 PM
link   
This is exactly why I was always taught to keep your politics to yourself....even within family

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 08:27 PM
link   
You have to understand that our parents are predisposed to believing in bipartisanship. The powers that be want this type of division among us all. You voted for who you believed in. I for one commend you for voting 3rd party.
edit on 7-11-2012 by MilesTeg because: typo

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 08:40 PM
link   

Show your mother this thread and leave her to read through it, and she'll see how much you love her and how important you feel your relationship with her is, regardless of political affiliation. Take the risk I think it would be worth it, because a mother's love is always unconditional, in the final analysis. That's my advice or two cents for whatever it's worth.

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 09:54 PM
link   
tell your mom to grow the # up, obama beat the # out of romney anyways, and good for you for voting what YOU believe in, not someone else. tell her this is #ing america and you can vote for who you want

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join