It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I knew my mom was zealous about Romney, but...

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 12:44 PM
link   
reply to post by 200Plus

Wrong bucko. When he gets 5%, a vote for Johnson will bring about some change. Not this election cycle, but who cares, it's a vote between a cat poop soup and dog poop soup this year. They both taste like crap.

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 12:47 PM
link   
reply to post by EllaMarina

Perhaps I worded things poorly. I tend to do that and I apologize.

A vote third party is a vote for the current administration's policies. Because the third party has no chance of winning (currently), a vote for them is accepting the current adinistration. A vote for the opposite party (from the current) is a vote for change.

Not sure that makes any more sense.

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 12:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by TKDRL
reply to post by 200Plus

but who cares.

Exactly. Lets worry about what happens 20 years from now, rather than the next four years. Makes sense, bucko.

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 12:53 PM
link   
My parents are the opposite and are die hard Obama supporters. They talked me into voting for him the first time, and was tempted but could not go against my beliefs and too voted for Gary Johnson.

Don't Let anyone judge your beliefs, otherwise you no longer a free american and instead a slave to other peoples beliefs.

PROUD OF YOU!!

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 12:56 PM
link   
Good job daughter! You participated in the democratic process, you practiced an important part of what American freedom encompasses.

You should not be ashamed to say who you voted for to anyone, but you must always be prepared for political disagreements.

I would never expect my 18 year old to vote for who I vote for, unless that was his choice. And typically the youth will have different opinions than the older generation, that's a given, and quite frankly healthy. The youth practice idealism, which keeps the world balanced with the staunch positioning of later years.

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 12:58 PM
link   
reply to post by 200Plus

So you want to switch from cat poop soup, to dog poop soup, huge difference between the two. Then next year you get the same choice..... Me, I want something new on the menu for once.

To the OP, good for you for not caving to that kind of thing. It's pretty disheartening to hear about those kind of situations arising, especially by family

edit on Tue, 06 Nov 2012 13:04:10 -0600 by TKDRL because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 01:14 PM
link   
Your support really helped, everyone. I'm heartened.

I have good news, too. My mom called just a few minutes ago and said that she was sorry for overreacting, and said that I have the right to vote for who I want, and that she shouldn't have imposed her beliefs on me.
Talk about a full 180! At least things are cool now.

Thank you all so much for your input.

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 01:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by 200Plus
I see it as a toss up.

I agree that your mother should not resent you for your vote.

On the other hand you cast a "throw away" vote.

It basically takes away from Romney and allows a better chance for Obama to win.

You have every right to vote as you see fit. You also have a responsibility to provide for yourself. If you cannot do that under President Obama, perhaps you should have voted for a change.

++FLAME WARNING++ it's been four years. Let's stop blaming Bush.

Huge BS right here...

The only "throw away vote" is the vote that was not cast. Everyone has the right to vote for what they believe in. I respect the person that votes their heart more than I respect the drones and sheep that vote the two party system.

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 01:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by EllaMarina
Your support really helped, everyone. I'm heartened.

I have good news, too. My mom called just a few minutes ago and said that she was sorry for overreacting, and said that I have the right to vote for who I want, and that she shouldn't have imposed her beliefs on me.
Talk about a full 180! At least things are cool now.

Thank you all so much for your input.

Love and maternal instinct will always trump any political BS. Glad it worked out well and I hope you and your mother have a great day tomorrow!

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 01:27 PM
link   

At least it was a short lived thing, rather than a family feud type thing

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 01:27 PM
link   

That's good that you and your mom are ok now. This election has everyone going crazy. I can't wait until we know who won so it can be over because at the end of the day things are still going to be the same just maybe with a different POTUS or not. And good for you standing your ground and trying to take up for yourself.

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 01:29 PM
link   

Two good things today

You got to vote as you saw fit and your mom realized that you are an individual with an opinion. I am happy for you on both counts.

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 01:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Jeremiah65

I do not believe I implied in any way, shape, form, or fashion that she did not have a right to vote as she desired.

If I did, I would love for you to show me. That way I do not make the same mistake twice.

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 01:35 PM
link   

Sorry you had to endure that...The rejection of parents is pretty hard pill to swallow as all children want from their parents is validation and acceptance. In this case you were shunned for thinking differently which is the fundamental aspect of oppression.

Hopefully your mother will have a moment of clarity and apologize.

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 01:37 PM
link   

I love that picture! (The one with Johnson in it, that is.)
And it is truly great to feel free to follow my conscience. Gary Johnson is popular, so that means I don't have to feel alone either.

edit on 6-11-2012 by EllaMarina because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 01:44 PM
link   

damn, I don't know what to say.

Tell her that from now on politics is forbidden in the house. Take the initiative, write her a letter, and tell her that no matter who is in office the family should come first. That whatever external pressure may have made her so passionate that she insulted you, that you will forgive her, but that she is not allowed to insult you again like that over your political ideology.

That if she does, you will lose respect for her, and consider how your own kids will be treated around someone that cannot control themselves. That maybe she is a bad influence on you because her political ideology leads her to forget the blood in her veins, and her maternal instinct and in turn cause you harm.

I would not let her have it, but be adult in your response, not emotional. Communicate your emotions rationally and tell her that this sort of behavior is unacceptable, and that if verbal abuse is the price of living with her, that you will endure it long enough to leave her alone for the rest of her life. Ask her if Romney will bring his kids over to see grandma when she is dying and her life is put into perspective.

I wouldn't hold back, not let her have it but be honest. These situations have those consequences. Don't hide that, just don't be a jerk about it.

You have to make her stop that. Don't fear her, she is just a person. Even if she is your mother. She is still human and bound by the same rules as the rest of us.

Oh, and I can't stress this enough. POLITICS IS FORBIDEN BETWEEN YOU from now on. DO NOT engage her in a political discussion and be bold about your intolerance to the subject.

Good luck. Be happy.

edit on 6-11-2012 by manykapao because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 01:47 PM
link   
Sounds to me like its time to stand up to mom. Get mad back at her and tell her she has no right to act like that toward you and that you know about politics better then she does and will compare notes anytime if she was so stupid to vote for how the idiot box told her to vote for... etc..

People who act like this are just like this lady upset that her pick for American Idol did not win...

www.youtube.com...

Ain't political theater great..

Edited to add: Just saw your post that she saw the error of her ways and apologized good to hear...
edit on 6-11-2012 by hawkiye because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 01:48 PM
link   
reply to post by solidguy

troll alert.

your manner of seeing a family issue that will have long lasting consequences for this person and trivializing it either by comedy, or by political trolling, is disrespectful.

I think you owe her an apology.

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 01:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by 200Plus

I do not believe I implied in any way, shape, form, or fashion that she did not have a right to vote as she desired.

If I did, I would love for you to show me. That way I do not make the same mistake twice.

No...you accused her of supporting Obama be default because she cast a 'throw away vote". You also implied she was a mooch because (implied she is living at home) she couldn't take care of herself...ever consider she is a student and maybe this was her first election?

Your original position was condescending and offensive...admit it.

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 01:52 PM
link   

lol,
you're old enough to vote,
yet apparently not old enough to know when and what to lie *Cough!* "spare your parents feelings" about ?

and now you've been sent to your room? RLMFAO!

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join