It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I knew my mom was zealous about Romney, but...

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:
+1 more 
posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 11:30 AM
link   
reply to post by solidguy

I do not see where the OP was any way disrespectful to the Mother's vote. Looks to me like it was the other way around.

And don't you think it's presumptuous and rude itself to tell someone that they are a mooch and need to move out of the house? You don't know their situation.

Based on just what you have said, I would hate to be one of your kids.

+3 more 
posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 11:36 AM
link   
You cannot use habitation as an excuse to force someone to vote as you wish.
That's technically a felony, its called political coercion and can be found in the USC, title 18 . Its there somewhere you can look it up.

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 11:37 AM
link   
Older people are wise, or used to be wise, remember now "older" people are not like the older people from 1920s, these people grew up in the 60s-70s. Sadly the wise part is lost. Not to mention our current technology and style ruined them as well(yes i think our current way of living lost respect for elders, i still retained mine due to my parents discipline, but its been ages since i see a "wise old man")

Obviously i'm speaking about the few biased fanatics and not everyone!

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 11:38 AM
link   
Solidguy, I do respect her vote. It could have been for Gorgo the Destroyer for all I care. That doesn't mean I have to be an extension of herself, or give her an extra vote for her chosen candidate. That's overkill.

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 11:39 AM
link   
reply to post by sheepslayer247

You do know he is only saying that because he is a fan of R-Money? just a quick check determined that.

if the mom in the OP said "I can't believe you did not vote for Obama", he would be all up on defending her lol.

_________

Also there are MANY reason why a child over 18 would stay with parents. handicap and sickness comes to mind.

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 11:39 AM
link   
If someone demands you vote their way, they are a tyrant.

And tyranny deserves no respect at all.
Nuff said.

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 11:53 AM
link   
Out of respect for their marriage and each other my son and his wife decided not to discuss politics or vote.. It would be fruitless if they did... The odd thing is that my son is very much a Democrat employed by a large corporation and his Republican wife is a school teacher... When all is said and done and the vote is count is manipulated and tallied the emotional issues that have divided the parties will still be used in the next Presidential election....

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 11:58 AM
link   
The most disturbing thing about it was the irrationality. I very much doubt that my single vote for Romney would be what pushes him over the edge into the presidency, as my mom insisted it might.
I wonder if a note would indeed be the best way to go. It might be unwise to include anything of a political nature, beyond perhaps describing the way voting really works. Popular votes don't count, for example.
edit on 6-11-2012 by EllaMarina because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 12:05 PM
link   

you can not be serious.

in America you can not force anyone to vote for who you want..

do you do this to your children? shameful.

the only thing I see as disrespectful is your attitude of "vote my way or else"..

disrespectful towards America & the millions of people who have come before you

who have made a sacrifice to have and maintain a country with the freedom to do so..

also it is illegal & if you have forced people you know to vote one way or another by tyrannical bullying

you should be imprisoned.

you take away someone's right's & freedom of choice.. you need to lose

your own for a while & learn a hard lesson.

or how about just leave. simple as that.

leave America because you have no idea what this country stands for.

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 12:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by solidguy

Originally posted by sheepslayer247

So having an opinion and voting differently than one's parents is disrespectful....and from that post you can tell they are a "mooch"?

I really hope you are being sarcastic....

Over 18 and still living under parents roof, then have the gall to not respect her mothers vote?

Basically rubbing it in her face.

Very disrespectful.

Seems like you show about as much respect for the constitution and personal freedoms as most republican fanatics and neocons do.

In this case, I think it's pretty easy for even some of your comrades to see that you are being extremist and unfair. She is an adult and it is her right to vote for whom she chooses. I agree that she made a mistake by telling her mother who she voted for, but hey, I guess she's an honest person. Doesn't sound to me like the kind of person who disrespects their parents at all.

On the other hand, comments like yours make it sound as though you have no respect for the US electoral system. Very unpatriotic.

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 12:11 PM
link   
I see it as a toss up.

I agree that your mother should not resent you for your vote.

On the other hand you cast a "throw away" vote.

It basically takes away from Romney and allows a better chance for Obama to win.

You have every right to vote as you see fit. You also have a responsibility to provide for yourself. If you cannot do that under President Obama, perhaps you should have voted for a change.

++FLAME WARNING++ it's been four years. Let's stop blaming Bush.

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 12:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by 200Plus
I see it as a toss up.

I agree that your mother should not resent you for your vote.

On the other hand you cast a "throw away" vote.

It basically takes away from Romney and allows a better chance for Obama to win.

You have every right to vote as you see fit. You also have a responsibility to provide for yourself. If you cannot do that under President Obama, perhaps you should have voted for a change.

++FLAME WARNING++ it's been four years. Let's stop blaming Bush.

What a bunch of bunk. There is no such thing as a throw away vote.

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 12:16 PM
link   
Several things:

One the next time your mother asked you how you voted, tell her it was personal and you voted your conscious. If she presses tell her it was person.

Two: Ask her what does it matter, as the balloting is private and really no ones business. Is it worth being in a feud for years, to know how a family member votes? It is not, ultimately we have to face the choices we make.

Three: Ask her this, what is more important a vote cast or sitting at home and not voting at all?

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 12:19 PM
link   
Would an Obama supporter not say that a throw-away vote gives more of a chance to Romney?
You can be reassured that no vote is added to either of their tallies with each one given to Gary Johnson. To insist that it does is over-dramatic and irrational.

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 12:19 PM
link   
Lesson: Keep it to yourself. People take this much too serious. Ive seen Obamney voters go bat#-crazy when told someone thinks differently than them. If they cant tolerate any views than their own they are brainwashed loons.

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 12:21 PM
link   
reply to post by captaintyinknots

The third party in America has a zero chance of winning. Hence why I said it was a "throw away" vote.

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 12:26 PM
link   
reply to post by 200Plus

I agree the system is set up so that only one of the big two can win, but at the same time, I refuse to vote against my conscience. It's not just a matter of principle, but also the fact that I believe the two major parties are two wings of the same bird, if not outright puppets, and that Congress has more power than we'll ever know. In the wake of that, all I have left is my conscience.

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 12:29 PM
link   
reply to post by EllaMarina

I can see your point 100%. I agree that it is a matter of perspective. However when given a choice between three people:

1) President Obama
2) Romney
3) Johnson

A vote for Johnson has no chance at change. Therefore it is a vote for the current administration. All my opinion of course.

+edit - I want to make sure people understand that I in no way want to dictate how a person votes. I am simply offering my opinion on the matter. We each need to decide for ourselves what is better for us, what is better for our family, and what is better for our country. Vote according to you beliefs, that is what makes America the nation it is.[
edit on 6-11-2012 by 200Plus because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 12:36 PM
link   
reply to post by 200Plus

I understand. However, would you clarify exactly how voting for Johnson will increase the chances of Obama getting a second term? It's not as though Romney is starving for voters, and anyway, one could easily also say that not voting for Obama will increase the chances for Romney.
edit on 6-11-2012 by EllaMarina because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 12:36 PM
link   
reply to post by muzzleflash

WTF dude, where did you hear that? I just tried that on my uncle who was going on and on about how iran is the devil and such. I can't believe that actually worked.....

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join