It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Romney Did Not Pay His Taxes For 15 Years

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 10:32 AM
link   
With the presidential election about to go down in the states, I thought this was something to for all my fellow Americans to take a look at.

There has been a lot of talk about Romney`s tax returns during this election cycle. Well, come to find out he did not pay taxes for 15 years! The way he did it was super dirty and involved taking advantage of his `faith` in order to not pay taxes.

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 10:37 AM
link   
As much of a bona fide muppet as I feel Romney is, this video doesn't offer one speck of evidence. Just another political hit piece. They come fom all sides.

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 10:42 AM
link   
OK, first of all, the guy in the vid is a tool. Second, if Mitt didn't pay taxes for 15 years and gave the minimum to his church, why the big turnaround? Why does he now pay 15% income tax and give 30% to charity for the past several years? Did he have a sudden epiphany? Or maybe the accusations are just false??

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 10:43 AM
link   
reply to post by jtma508

Really? Here is something from Bloomberg to back this up.

Romney Avoids Taxes via Loophole Cutting Mormon Donations

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 10:47 AM
link   
reply to post by micmerci

Maybe he want's to be President!!!

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 10:50 AM
link   
So, this program is a tax deferment, not "Romney did not pay his taxes for 15 years". It is basically a deferred charitable contribution for the rich. There is nothing underhanded or illegal about it. In fact, it only reinforces my belief that if he can be a good steward with his money, he is probably qualified to be a good steward with the country's money.

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 10:58 AM
link   

Lol.........your funny.

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 11:01 AM
link   
reply to post by DrunkYogi

Thank you for that insightful contribution to the thread.

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 11:05 AM
link   
These threads always make me laugh.

Romney paid more in taxes last year than many here will ever earn in their liftimes. But, he isn't paying his share.

How about the people that keep coming up with this, pick up the pace a little. If he isn't paying his "share", what the hell are you paying?

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 11:07 AM
link   

A lot of right-wingers like to say `Just because it is legal does not make it right.` I think in this case that phrase fits perfectly. Yeah, it was legal what he did but should it be legal. Romney is a citizen of America. Given this fact, he has a responsibility and a duty to pay his fair share of the services, we as a society have decided the government must provide to the common people, regardless of how much money he makes or what his personal religious beliefs might be. He found a way to skip out of that responsibility and that is just morally wrong.

Another loop hole in the tax code which needs to be patched up with some bricks and mortar.

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 11:07 AM
link   
Excellent Job Mr Romney !!
He played within the rules IMO. Nothing wrong with it. Change the IRS tax codes and/or loopholes
Besides its his accountants who really file the tax returns who also carry a liability if anything illegal or wrongdoing was reported on his taxes.

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 11:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by 200Plus
These threads always make me laugh.

Romney paid more in taxes last year than many here will ever earn in their liftimes. But, he isn't paying his share.

How about the people that keep coming up with this, pick up the pace a little. If he isn't paying his "share", what the hell are you paying?

Threads like this make me wonder if anyone ever does any investigation. And the folks that respond saying, "oh yeah you are soo right", make me wonder if they believe everything they read. Romney released his taxes. And for the older ones just some highlights (20 years worth). He was required by our tax code to pay what he did. And in some cases he paid extra! (Do you volunteer to pay extra?) But those taxes also showed that he donated many many millions of dollars every year.

If folks want proof, they need to do the investigating that should have been done in the first place.

edit on 6-11-2012 by elouina because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 11:16 AM
link   
If true,just shows how clever he can be with money.

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 11:21 AM
link   
reply to post by freedomwv

Is the charitable contribution deduction for middle income earners a loophole that needs to be closed? Or the deduction for property tax? or travel expenses? or costs incurred while job seeking? Would you take these deductions if they applied to you legally? IMO, any person who wouldn't is a fool with their money.

The real problem is that many are upset or jealous that this person makes a substantial amount of money and can take advantage of these deductions that are just as legal as those available to middle income people.

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 12:29 PM
link   

Oh. You want to know what I think about tax loopholes? Well, I think the entire society needs to be changed. The reason we have tax loopholes in the first place is because the cost of living is often much higher than the actual amount of money people can earn. The reason for this is because while a person`s labor produces a high profit, they are given a very small amount of that profit due to the fact that owners of production and producers are not the same people. The owners of production can say `You are doing just fine on the wage you earn because of all the tax loopholes you can get.` We would not need all those tax loopholes if labor was actually getting the majority of profit from their production.

Class warfare is real and I will not put up with any extreme right-wing libertarian insanity about `low income earners are just lazy. They only need to try harder.`
Job have been decreasing because the owners of production are trying to spread labor as thin as they can in order to maintain their profit margins. This, along with the total collapse of the US economy, has done great damage to society. And here we have a guy like Mittens who has not paid his taxes in over 15 years, produces nothing,adds nothing to the economy, trying to tell people they should work harder and be rich like him.

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 12:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by freedomwv

Mittens who has not paid his taxes in over 15 years, produces nothing,adds nothing to the economy, trying to tell people they should work harder and be rich like him.

Using derogatory terms against politicians is against the forums TOS. So you are still spouting off false information? Did you not read my post up above? Please investigate before you make such outlandish statements. And I would hope you would have the maturity to admit you were wrong when you do. It speaks wonders about the person behind the avatar.
edit on 6-11-2012 by elouina because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 12:43 PM
link   

Oh. You want to know what I think about tax loopholes? Well, I think the entire society needs to be changed. The reason we have tax loopholes in the first place is because the cost of living is often much higher than the actual amount of money people can earn. The reason for this is because while a person`s labor produces a high profit, they are given a very small amount of that profit due to the fact that owners of production and producers are not the same people. The owners of production can say `You are doing just fine on the wage you earn because of all the tax loopholes you can get.` We would not need all those tax loopholes if labor was actually getting the majority of profit from their production.

Class warfare is real and I will not put up with any extreme right-wing libertarian insanity about `low income earners are just lazy. They only need to try harder.`
Job have been decreasing because the owners of production are trying to spread labor as thin as they can in order to maintain their profit margins. This, along with the total collapse of the US economy, has done great damage to society. And here we have a guy like Mittens who has not paid his taxes in over 15 years, produces nothing,adds nothing to the economy, trying to tell people they should work harder and be rich like him.

Well for starters, again saying he didn't pay taxes for 15 years is just sensationalist propaganda. He took a deduction that was available to him granted by the IRS tax code. Hardly a tax dodger!

Secondly, not all owners of production in the US are these high income aristocrats that your idealist scenario portrays them to be. 85% of businesses in the US are SMALL BUSINESS owned/operated. Part of the reason we (I am in that number) spread labor so thin is because of the crippling taxation and regulation imposed on us by the government. Not because I am shipping all those extra millions to off shore accounts.

As far as Romney not producing or adding to the economy- well that statement only speaks volumes to your ignorance to the numbers of people his businesses have employed and to the types of businesses he has advanced even through our struggling economy.

It is ok not to like someone for any reason but let's give credit where it is due- he could very well be a huge DBAG but he does know how to handle money, budgets, economies, and business.

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 03:42 PM
link   

Oh. You want to know what I think about tax loopholes? Well, I think the entire society needs to be changed.
Too late for that
Civilization has advanced way too much since the stone age

Not lazy perhaps but not savvy or smart either when it comes to making money

Its all part of business. Perhaps the laws should change on global/international/foreign trading between countries? In other words, 1 step forward 2 steps backwards?

edit on 6-11-2012 by hp1229 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 09:12 PM
link   
reply to post by hp1229

After reading the replies after my last replay, your post is the one I am most interested in. You are bringing up some decent points to have a convo about.

Too late for that Civilization has advanced way too much since the stone age

Society does change overtime. It has to or else given society will fade away. Attempts to prevent society from changing always leads to a brutal strict hierarchy in which class divisions run deep and progression is stamped out in favor of good old boy networks and fascism.

Not lazy perhaps but not savvy or smart either when it comes to making money

You must consider actual material conditions before making a statement about being savvy about ones money. I have seen first hand how social and economic conditions can prevent someone from being able to attain any sort of wealth. There are many hard working common workers out there, despite how hard they work or watch every penny they spend, simply cannot escape poverty or their working class status. The reason for this is very simple. They do not get the full amount of the profit their production produces. Have you ever worked in a coal mine? I have, as well as many men in my family, went underground into the dark hole to mine the black rock. It is very hard work and men are paid a very low wage while the owners of production collect the surplus profit from the quality of labor and get rich. Despite the best efforts of the UWWA over the years, including fighting directly with the mine owners in actual guerrilla warfare in West Virginia at the Battle of Blair Mountain, mine owners still cut corners, operate highly dangerous mines, pay workers very low wage and engage in strong arm tactics against Union miners. People who are controlled by others, by way of wage based capital, are unable to be savvy with their money. They are forced to live from pay check to pay check because they are not getting the full profit from the value of their labor. They stay low on the social ladder because they are not in the privilege of the capital controlling upper class.

Its all part of business. Perhaps the laws should change on global/international/foreign trading between countries? In other words, 1 step forward 2 steps backwards?

And this is the major problem. Business as usual in capitalism means people will suffer job will be destroyed in order to maintain a set profit margin which the ruling capitalist class will not give up on or lower without a long hard fight. The common working class have little choice but to band together and attempt to take more control over the means of production. The working class are the producers. They are actual producing something material which profit can be gained from. The ruling capitalist only have capital; and capital and the means of production, which both things alone will not create anything without labor. Without labor nothing happens.

join