It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Harassers of Women in Cairo Now Face Wrath of Vigilantes

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 09:14 AM
link   
reply to post by detachedindividual

Firstly, as the OP states, not ALL men are like that in Egypt.

Get off the tourist route, and let your girlfriend or wife go shopping or sight seeing on their own, and i'm betting good money yours and her attitude will change about average egyptian male and the attitude towards females, infact tunisia was just as bad or even worse for harassing women and physically molesting them in public.

I've been to egypt 3 times in the last 15 years, and traveled all over egypt, once your off the holiday resorts or tourist routes you get to see real egypt and it's people.

I for one applaud those vigilantes.

And so do i, as i said on my first post, the police do nothing and are just as bad.

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 12:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by NavyDoc
I think that what he is getting at is that in many of those societies, the matriarchs are just as guilty at perpetuating the belief that females are second class citizens and/or property.

Thats pretty much it.
Most people seem to jump on the simplistic explanation that it is entirely 100 the fault of the men, and all 100 percent of women are innocent victims.
I was pointing out that it is much more complex than that and that AS WELL AS being the fault of the men there is also a section of the female population who are embracing this behaviour because it is part of their culture.
It will be a lot easier to rectify the situation when NO women are actively encouraging it.

But readers can ignore me... just go back to the "just the mens fault" explanation if it's easier on your brain.

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 07:03 PM
link   
Many people fail to realise the problems of attempting to instil their Western-valued mindsets on non-Western populations. There are radically different cultural aspects to consider.

It would be nice if we could live in a world where men and women everywhere shared the same rights, freedoms and opportunities, but that just isn't the reality of the world in which we live.

There are thousands of different cultures, customs and laws to take into account, and it is rather simplistic to view the world through a lens that we in the West feel is the correct one.

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 07:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Dark Ghost

Well, to be truthful: the only "right" system is any in which each individual is given free choice and personal dignity. If those two things are not the basis by which a system is formed, it is unjust and an abomination to whatever created us.

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 01:39 AM
link   
reply to post by TheMaverick

OMG thats so sick!
Good that the groups are hunting those pervs down!

I once beat up a man in on the train for groping and touching a friend of mine between the legs. He thought he could get away with it... But... NO! I won´t look the other way, I don´t think he will ever do it again!

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 02:18 AM
link   
reply to post by ninjas4321

"Harassers of Women in Cairo Now Face Wrath of Vigilantes"

Somehow I doubt there are that many vigilantes, to make a difference....(yet a good step in the right direction,Kudos on them)

In scenes such as this...

Hopefully its a growing trend and these type of guys get their butts kicked.

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 10:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by wiser3
reply to post by ninjas4321

Good for the vigilantes, it's time that someone, supposedly MEN, stand up for the rights of women in countries like Egypt! Why should women accept being regarded as second class citizens?

You argue that woman ought to have the same rights as men, then you use gender roles to demand action of men, very interesting and one could make a convincing argument that why should women have equal rights when they still cling to female privilege. If women wish to be equal to men, then they will have to learn to stand up for themselves. To demand that men give them equality is totally absurd. Either men and women are held to a human standard equally, or not at all. No picking and choosing. Either all the way or none of it, anything else is outright tyranny.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join